Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » looking for dehydrator recommendation

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
looking for dehydrator recommendation on 08/20/2013 18:47:16 MDT Print View

Looking at maybe getting a dehydrator to expand options (mostly vegetables and fruits, probably not a lot of meats), and would like to get some recommendations from those with direct experience.

I've gathered from other threads that the low-end dehydrators are pretty useless, but it's not clear I'll need to biggest, most full-featured dehydrator either. I was tentatively thinking that Excalibur 3500 5-tray 440 W model might be just about right.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this or alternatives!

Best,

Bill S.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: looking for dehydrator recommendation on 08/20/2013 19:10:19 MDT Print View

Excalibur tends to be one of the most expensive brands.

Nesco has a number of models. Look for one around 400-600 watts.

Avoid anything that does not have a separate heating element and separate fan. A few of the cheapest ones have no fan at all and try to move air purely by convection.

I use one that is about thirty years old, and it works fine.

--B.G.--

Erica R.
(skrapp138) - M
Nesco 600 on 08/24/2013 19:36:12 MDT Print View

I've been using the Nesco 600 for all of my backpacking food for my JMT hike and it works great - I highly recommend it.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Excalibur, Nesco on 08/25/2013 20:32:22 MDT Print View

Good advice above. The Excalibur is the flagship brand. I own a Nesco (American Harvest Pro) and have no complaints--it's the 'bang for the buck' leader IMO. Agree you want controls over heat and fan. Look for models that run the air across the trays, not just up/down a center column. Avoid the temptation to run the dehy too hot or too fast. Most my dehy is done in the 115-125F range.

PS: People think they'll like dehydrating, then tire of it...result, they show up in boatloads on Craig's List. Paid $25 for mine, came with 8 trays and all the accessories, virtually unused.

Edited by Bolster on 08/25/2013 20:35:44 MDT.