Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2 on 08/20/2013 18:27:09 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
tenkara on 08/21/2013 11:41:26 MDT Print View

I bought a used tenkara setup and took it on a trip a few weeks ago. I was amazed at the ease of fishing and the lack of complexity. It truly was a ton of fun compared to the spinner fishing I have done previously on backpacking trips. The only downside I can think of is the handicap of not being able to cast over 20-25 feet. This might come into play when the fish are hanging out in the deeper parts of lakes.

I did use the Fuji line keepers and just let the same line attached for all 4 days. They worked well but I just had to remember to be careful when unwinding the line. If i let it slip off out of order I had a big mess on my hands.

Ben

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: tenkara on 08/21/2013 11:52:55 MDT Print View

Distance casting -

I assume by 25' you mean landing a fly 25' from where you are standing...

Wind is the issue, but if conditions are calm, and you have the room, there are some who are casting 20' lines, plus 9' of tippet, plus some part of rod length.

And one Japanese Master who is casting 32' of line.

But for us mere mortals, 25' to 30' total is probably the practical limit.

Then line management while landing a fish is a skill that must be learned, especially for a big one.

Edited by greg23 on 08/21/2013 11:55:29 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2 on 08/21/2013 13:58:09 MDT Print View

Thanks for the ar-tickle

Last time I used my mosquito head net...but I did not bring in anything. [Maybe I was just practicing a more streamlined form of catch and release (aka nibble and release or hook and release)]. Has anyone else tried a version of this potentially dual purpose item? Any ideas for a frame?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2 on 08/21/2013 14:00:50 MDT Print View

Willow.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Tenkara for Backpackers on 08/21/2013 21:08:10 MDT Print View

I enjoyed seeing mention of a couple of the products I offer specific to tenkara fishing. Both the Ti Net and Tenkara Creel along with the Ebira rod quiver have been well received. Thanks BPL!

Thom
TrailLite Designs

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 2 on 08/22/2013 15:08:47 MDT Print View

"Last time I used my mosquito head net...but I did not bring in anything. [Maybe I was just practicing a more streamlined form of catch and release (aka nibble and release or hook and release)]. Has anyone else tried a version of this potentially dual purpose item? Any ideas for a frame?"

I thought about using the head net for fishing but won't for a couple of reasons:

1) Don't want my head net to smell like fish for when I actually want to use it as a head net

2) I like having the option to sleep with the head net and don't want to be forced to bear bag it due to the fish smell.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: headnet as Tenkara net on 08/22/2013 15:28:56 MDT Print View

I've had the same thoughts, Ian. I'm thinking it would be possible to sew a net of tulle that would be < 0.5 oz and capable of having something (willow cut on the spot, as greg suggests, or perhaps some stiff weed-whacker string, or part of one of those metal hoops that go in car sunshades, or...?) run around the top to hold it open. Maybe even somehow attach it at the end of a hiking pole? Future project, perhaps.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: headnet as Tenkara net on 08/22/2013 15:51:49 MDT Print View

I use a net if I have to. But I think about it before I do.

If it's a big fish, use a net if you have to.
If you are fishing for dinner, use a net.

But if you're just doing C&R, bring them to your feet, kneel down, de-hook, let them rest, send them off.

Mortality from 30 seconds of "breathing air" is around 38%, even if they swim off.
Mortality from 60 seconds of "breathing air" is around 70%.

If that fish has to come out of the water for any reason, start holding your breath.
When you give up, give that fish a drink! (from TenkaraGuides.com)

Edited by greg23 on 08/22/2013 17:52:32 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: headnet as Tenkara net on 08/22/2013 16:29:37 MDT Print View

Keep in mind you don't want your headnet rubbing off the fishes' mucous lining either.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: headnet as Tenkara net on 08/22/2013 16:33:34 MDT Print View

I only catch fish when I intend to eat them. So far, in my somewhat limited experience, I haven't needed a net when backpacking and fishing; perhaps because I use barbed hooks? I imagine it would be easier to lose a fish while landing them if the hook were not barbed.

Chris Stewart
(CM_Stewart) - F
Fuji EZ Keepers on 08/22/2013 20:00:34 MDT Print View

When you wrap your line around the Fuji EZ Keepers, wrap in a figure 8. It dramatically reduces the tendency to tangle, and you can often just flip down one of the Keepers and have your whole line just fall off tangle-free.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Mortality rate on 08/22/2013 21:46:44 MDT Print View

Greg - We've chatted before about the morals of C&R. This is the first time I've seen any numbers put to mortality rate based on amount of time exposed to air. As a tenkara / fly fishing noobie, I'm curious does that mean time in a net is necessarily bad, if the fish is kept under the water? What other factors come into play here?

I still have memories from about 7 years ago of my chocolate lab sticking her head into the Blue River, catching a trout in her mouth, and tossing it to my feet - which she did with amazing accuracy. She was so proud of her accomplishment. All I could think was how to get the fish back into the water as fast as I could, and hoping it would survive... Maybe I'm not the ideal candidate for this sport, but I'll give it a good try if I have reasonable confidence that my actions aren't causing undue harm.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Fuji EZ Keepers on 08/23/2013 15:33:23 MDT Print View

Great tip in the Fuji EZ Keepers (i.e., figure 8 wrapping). One word of caution. I have been using them on my Tenkara rod for about 18 months. On my last trip to SW Coloardo, pulled my rod out and the little rubber O-rings that hold them on had become brittle and broken. I don't think these are being manufactured with a durable type of rubber. I'm going to go to the hardware store and see if I can find something to replace them. (And no, they were not stored with an chemicals that would have caused the rubber to degrade.)

Edited by mwgillenwater on 08/23/2013 15:34:25 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Mortality rate on 08/23/2013 17:25:05 MDT Print View

"We've chatted before about the morals of C&R. This is the first time I've seen any numbers put to mortality rate based on amount of time exposed to air. As a tenkara / fly fishing noobie, I'm curious does that mean time in a net is necessarily bad, if the fish is kept under the water?"

"What other factors come into play here?"

Stuart,
I certainly don't want to get into morality or karma, just the Mortality of of landing fish.

I'm no biologist, but I think if the fish in the water, surrounded by a net or not, it stands a better chance of surviving than if it is out of the water, in a hand or in a net.

A net that scrapes off the slime layer is bad.
A dry hand grabbing a fish is bad.

Slime is the first defense against all sorts of stuff.

I see far to many fish with "finger prints", literally, and those fish are probably doomed.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Fuji EZ Keeper Alternatives on 08/23/2013 17:36:43 MDT Print View

Alternative Line Keepers -

LineKeepers

The loop at the top left is a "drop shot" keeper. A paperclip would work. I taped it in place. On subsequent versions I wrapped with thread and added nail polish for a solid and permanent solution.

I used a double hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the butt cap.

Another tenkara fisher uses velcro "hooks" for the butt cap.

LineKeeper3

Compliments of davidgr over at TenkaraUSA.

Edited by greg23 on 08/23/2013 17:40:00 MDT.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Re: Fuji EZ Keeper Alternatives on 08/23/2013 17:48:42 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg. Me like it.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Re: Mortality rates on 08/23/2013 18:26:40 MDT Print View

Thanks, Greg. I didn't mean to send this discussion off on a morality / ethics tangent. Your explanation helps me understand better what it means to C&R with due care for the fish.