Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric on 08/16/2013 07:40:06 MDT Print View

I am tinkering around with a light-weight backpacking chair design. I have the struts figured out but I know nothing about fabrics or sewing. I am looking for advice on:

1) What would be the easiest material to work with at the prototype stage and
2) What would be a good, lightweight, strong material for the final product

I am thinking that the chair would need to be able to support ~250 pound person. I haven't figured out the exact weigh goal yet but I am thinking in the 10 oz and under range. Best regards, Jon

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
chair on 08/16/2013 09:12:33 MDT Print View

I don't have answers for you---but my wife will sign up to be your first customer!

Bogs and Bergs
(Islandized) - F

Locale: Newfoundland
chair fabric on 08/16/2013 09:20:17 MDT Print View

Landscaping fabric? Very light, strong, and easy to cut and either sew or glue. Cheap, too, if you want a lot to play with for prototyping.

There are various weights out there, thick shiny 'professional' grade down to no-name hardware store brands.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Grand Trunk Micro Stool on 08/16/2013 09:30:16 MDT Print View

this stool has, I believe, something like a 400 D fabric and it is listed at 10 oz.
I got mine below 9 oz with some scissor work.

Might get some ideas from it??

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
mesh! on 09/04/2013 11:44:48 MDT Print View

I like your specs for intended load capacity!

I've noted that the new versions of the REI 3-leg stool now use a burly mesh in the center of the seat and weigh very slightly less than the older, rip-stop versions. A few of my Scouts have them and I think the mesh is great for those times when the stool gets rained on...plus it saves a gram or two. So, my suggestion is that you go check out those stools to see whether that style of construction and materials will, uh..."mesh" with your needs.

Cheers.