November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Need advice for a backpacking chair: fabric on 08/16/2013 07:40:06 MDT Print View

I am tinkering around with a light-weight backpacking chair design. I have the struts figured out but I know nothing about fabrics or sewing. I am looking for advice on:

1) What would be the easiest material to work with at the prototype stage and
2) What would be a good, lightweight, strong material for the final product

I am thinking that the chair would need to be able to support ~250 pound person. I haven't figured out the exact weigh goal yet but I am thinking in the 10 oz and under range. Best regards, Jon

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
chair on 08/16/2013 09:12:33 MDT Print View

I don't have answers for you---but my wife will sign up to be your first customer!

Bogs and Bergs
(Islandized) - F

Locale: Newfoundland
chair fabric on 08/16/2013 09:20:17 MDT Print View

Landscaping fabric? Very light, strong, and easy to cut and either sew or glue. Cheap, too, if you want a lot to play with for prototyping.

There are various weights out there, thick shiny 'professional' grade down to no-name hardware store brands.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Grand Trunk Micro Stool on 08/16/2013 09:30:16 MDT Print View

this stool has, I believe, something like a 400 D fabric and it is listed at 10 oz.
I got mine below 9 oz with some scissor work.

Might get some ideas from it??

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
mesh! on 09/04/2013 11:44:48 MDT Print View

I like your specs for intended load capacity!

I've noted that the new versions of the REI 3-leg stool now use a burly mesh in the center of the seat and weigh very slightly less than the older, rip-stop versions. A few of my Scouts have them and I think the mesh is great for those times when the stool gets rained it saves a gram or two. So, my suggestion is that you go check out those stools to see whether that style of construction and materials will, uh..."mesh" with your needs.