What piece of gear do you lose most often?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/21/2013 18:53:42 MDT Print View

I was losing gloves or dropping them and then having to walk back to find them.

But now I have them on a string and threaded through my jacket like a kindergartner.
I also went cheap and bought replacements at the army surplus store.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/21/2013 19:20:28 MDT Print View

Ti spoons. One year I left one stuck in a log in the Lost Creek Wilderness. A year
later I did the same trip over again and found it still stuck in the log. But that was an exception. Mostly they just stay lost. So now I just use a big plastic spoon that for some reason never gets lost.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/21/2013 20:15:35 MDT Print View

Latest trip: one of my sun gloves, and the Montbell Handy Scoop, both on the last day of a week-long trip. I knew I should have painted that thing bright pink or something.

Daniel Parker
(Pharoah) - F

Locale: New England
Lost gear on 08/21/2013 20:44:01 MDT Print View

I seem to lose exactly one tent stake on every trip. I have also lost some knives that I was very attached to. I think there is some karma involved though, because I've found a couple great knives on the trail.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/21/2013 20:51:05 MDT Print View

I'd have to say sunglasses. I'll put them on top of my hat, and next thing I know they're gone. But like ZZ-Top says, "Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses."

But my best lost gear story is one I posted in a previous thread:

Whilst hitch-hiking from San Diego to NYC, I crawled under the railyard fence in Yuma and hopped a box to Tucson. Well, the railyard in Tucson is not that close to I-10, so I scurried over to the Aviation Bikeway (Tucson is so bike-friendly, great town) to hike my ass into a better part of town. I stopped somewhere on the bikeway to discard a flannel shirt I had destroyed sleeping in a filthy boxcar. I was doing laundry at the Greyhound terminal on Broadway when I remembered that I had put my Navy dog-tags in the front pocket of my flannel for safe-keeping. Thus began one of the strangest legs of my journey.

I know it doesn't qualify for most-often because I only lost my dog tags once, but I like the story.

John Coyle
(Bigsac)

Locale: NorCal
What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/21/2013 22:38:27 MDT Print View

For me it's a pocket knife, specifically a small Swiss Army knife, the kind with the scissors, small blade, tooth pick and tweezers. After loosing several, I finally went the other way and purchased a rather large Swiss Army knife I refer to as "The Beast." Victorinox makes them for the German Army, and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Yes it's "stupid heavy" but at least I haven't lost it yet. http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One-Hand-Trekker-German-Multi-Tool/dp/B001B197RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377145807&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+german+army+knife

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
littered trails on 08/22/2013 05:13:32 MDT Print View

No wonder there's so much crap on the trails nowadays. You guys keep losing your crap on them!

My wife always loses an earring. I lost a stake once.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/22/2013 08:05:25 MDT Print View

2 swiss army knife classics one was lost by LOST lake in the winds the other I can't remember. Two photon freedom lights one at marms lake in the winds the other in ne Iowa The solution on losing knives was to tie a foot long piece of orange cord for better visability. I spent hours and hours looking for the knife at lost lake. What is worse than cleaning fish without a knife is the feeling I get thinking that somebody or some creature may have hurt them self on that knife that had the blade folded out as I had been cleaning fish. So if you are ever at lost lake in the wrr be careful, better yet maybe avoid the place entirely the trail getting there is bad the scenery horrible the fishing is terrible and if you don't cut your foot stepping on a blade you will definitly trip fall and cut your juggler on it.

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Finders keepers? on 08/22/2013 10:13:37 MDT Print View

I did an overnight trip a few weeks ago and on my way out saw a bandana, a headlamp, a doggie bootie, and a chapstick tube. I picked them up and tied them to a branch overhanging the trail. Thinking about it again maybe I should have carried it all out to the trailhead and set it there?

Edited by jraiderguy on 08/22/2013 10:14:42 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Finders keepers? on 08/22/2013 10:16:18 MDT Print View

That's a tough one. I usually do the same thing and hang it off a tree or trail marker on the chance that I miscalculated their direction of travel.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
lost and found on 08/22/2013 13:18:34 MDT Print View

I lost a SpotLit, and found a pair of underwear. PM me if you're missing a small gray thong.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Lost gear on 08/22/2013 13:33:48 MDT Print View

I always lose my mind. If you find it please return to: ............:-0 me!

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/22/2013 13:50:44 MDT Print View

I don't lose much on the trail. In fact, the only thing I recall losing in the last 8-10 years is a bag of tent stakes. I was car camping and remembered before I got far from the campground that they were at the base of a tree. Drove back and they were mysteriously gone. I didn't ask the group that was camped nearby if they had seen them.
I'm more prone to forget to pack things than I am to lose them. I've had a few surprises, like not having a spork or compass. On my last trip I left my car at the end of the trail and shuttled with a friend to the other end only to realize that I'd left my trekking poles in my car. Luckily he uses poles too and was able to lend them to me in the evening to set up my tarp.

Adam

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/22/2013 14:26:52 MDT Print View

Socks, gaiters, spork, photon lights.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: lost and found on 08/22/2013 15:01:43 MDT Print View

"I lost a SpotLit, and found a pair of underwear. PM me if you're missing a small gray thong."

Thong's mine. I was wondering what happened to it. My bad.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Re: lost and found on 08/22/2013 15:56:52 MDT Print View

Seriously Ian? I thought only Nick and Justin wore cotton. A PacNW'er should know better!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: lost and found on 08/22/2013 20:11:48 MDT Print View

"A PacNW'er should know better!"

Life's like a razor. It's dull everywhere except right on the edge.

'Tis a tale as old as time .... a man and his thong against the world.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/22/2013 20:46:33 MDT Print View

That I can remember I have only lost two thin Ti stakes that came with my TiTri set-up.
The sad part is that I did not need them anyway.
As a habit, after I pack up I walk a few paces and then walk back to have a look.
That way you see things from a different point of view and you know that you had a look.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: lost and found on 08/22/2013 21:11:06 MDT Print View

"I lost a SpotLit, and found a pair of underwear. PM me if you're missing a small gray thong."

That's NASTY.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: What piece of gear do you lose most often? on 08/22/2013 21:29:35 MDT Print View

rock climbing tends to instill a good habit of doing an idiot check or 3 before leaving an area. I don't think i've lost too much. I did find the nylon hat I use now (washed it well before using) and multiple stakes.