Forum Index » Chaff » 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/15/2013 19:10:37 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

As some of you know I am in the US with work for 3 years, I am now half way through my time and have decided I need to make a list of places
I need to get to for hiking trips before I move back to Europe.

I have been very lucky to go on trips in Michigan and the Canadian Shield with fellow Bpl members Rog W, Ike Jukowitz, Travis Leanna amd Tim Zen and out in Colorado with Stuart D, (Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate it).

So my question is could folk make some recommendations for week long and long weekend trips.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/15/2013 19:13:29 MDT Print View

The west coast is a must. So much to see in CA, OR, and WA alone. Sierra Nevada.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/15/2013 19:19:56 MDT Print View

Cheers Ken,

So much to see and so little time :-(

On another note, I just realised I have been missing all the Chaff threads for a while as they now need to be viewed as a different recent thread list, I has thought that Bpl was loosing its humour but alas it was me.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/15/2013 20:16:46 MDT Print View

I agree with Ken.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/15/2013 20:37:49 MDT Print View

Cheers Daryl,

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/16/2013 09:44:53 MDT Print View

I still think you should hit up the White Mtns even if you can't find someone to join you.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/16/2013 10:42:51 MDT Print View

The Whites are on my top 3.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
The list is endless on 08/18/2013 04:54:15 MDT Print View

Sierras, perhaps JMT or the High Route
Glacier NP, Montana
Rainier NP, perhaps Wonderland Trail
The Colorado Trail
Grand Canyon
Any park in Alaska- Denali, Wrangell-St.Elias, Glacier Bay if you like kayaking, etc.
Olympic Peninsula coast, Queets to Cape Alava, or even to Cape Flattery
Wind River Range, Wyoming
Sawtooth Range, Idaho
Theodore Roosevelt NP, ND, for a change of pace

Canoe/kayak the Wilderness Waterway, in Everglades NP, Everglades town to Flamingo

Boundary Waters canoeing
Isle Royale

Banff
Jasper
Waterton Lakes
Any of the far-north parks in Canada
For the truly adventurous- Northeast Greenland NP... but that's Denmark, isn't it? :)

I count go on forever. These all are/were on my life list.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 18 months to go in the US, need to make a list of trips before I head back to Europe on 08/18/2013 08:11:20 MDT Print View

I would put Glacier National Park on top and give it as much time as you can

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: The list is endless on 08/18/2013 08:33:05 MDT Print View

Very true , the list could go on forever, maybe I should just ask folk for a top 5 :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: The list is endless on 08/18/2013 08:34:12 MDT Print View

"maybe I should just ask folk for a top 5"

You'll still get a different list from everyone.

What do you want to see?

Edited by kthompson on 08/18/2013 08:34:53 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: The list is endless on 08/18/2013 09:01:28 MDT Print View

As little amount of trees as a possible, and no one wearing a "I shot JR" tee shirt.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Winds on 08/20/2013 21:37:27 MDT Print View

Wind Rivers have to be a must!

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Top 5,then on 08/21/2013 00:17:47 MDT Print View

OK, few trees, no "I shot JR", top five... hmmm...

No trees is hard, though. It sounds like you're looking for mountains rather than "magnificent desolation" such as desert or grasslands or tundra? If so, I'm sort of a "western" guy, so how about:

Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
Sierra High Route, California, USA
Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho, USA
Weminuche Wilderness, Colorado, USA

I could add places like Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain National Parks, and you could substitute the JMT for the SHR, but that would be my top five.

Depending on where you are in Glacier NP you might encounter Joe Sixpack the daytripper, but there are certainly remote places to avoid him if you try. (I'm researching for a hike there next year at the moment.)

All of these will have SOME trees in lower reaches, though. For true "no trees" you have to head north a bit. So I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel, but I'll add a "Far North" top five as well, taking into account that many spectacular places (ANWR) aren't very accessible:

Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada
Denali National Park, Alaska, USA
Wrangell-St.Elias National Park, Alaska, USA
Katmai National Park & Preserve, Alaska, USA

Again, I could keep listing places like Kootenay or Glacier NP of Canada, or bizarre and remote stuff like Auyuittuq or Vuntut or Ivvavik or Gates of the Arctic, but that'd be my top five. You can go on naming ludicrously interesting far-northern Canadian parks all day...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Top 5,then on 08/21/2013 08:01:12 MDT Print View

Much appreciated gents,

I am down the coal mines now so cannot reply properly.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
top 5 US backpacks with few trees on 08/21/2013 10:02:31 MDT Print View

Glacier
Beartooth Plateau
Sierra
Grand Canyon
Escalante

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife