Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail "most dangerous" top 10 hikes in the world
Display Avatars Sort By:
Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
No worries on 08/17/2013 00:39:17 MDT Print View

Not worried, I know I'm a kindhearted and compassionate person, I've done a lot more for others than anyone here knows, and I expect the border issue will attract many opinions and not all of them pleasant. It is what it is. I used to be angry about it, but now I'm resigned to just deal with it on a case to case basis. I often regret talking about it, brings the vibe down. In my experience, people north are highly influenced by media and what is NOT told and many truths are squelched and hidden, people just don't want to know the truth so more often than not I don't say anything at all.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: No worries on 08/17/2013 00:46:32 MDT Print View

"people north are highly influenced by media and what is NOT told and many truths are squelched and hidden, people just don't want to know the truth so more often than not I don't say anything at all."

Probably true, as it is with most subjects.
I have worked in strawberry fields, side by side with people from Oaxaca. I speak Spanish. I have worked with dozens of farm hands. I have gotten to know some of these "criminals" in their own language. Some were kinder than others, some harder working than others, some more judgemental than others and so forth. Just like us. It is actually painful to hear/ read some of the stuff here.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Yep on 08/17/2013 00:53:22 MDT Print View

Yep, I've worked with them too, in the corrals, on ranches, harvesting, building fences and yes they are just like us, human. My (our) only conclusion to the event was that we hope that when she returns home she remembers that there are people here that care and have compassion.
I'm going to bed, got a hike to do tomorrow!

Edited by Drusilla on 08/17/2013 00:55:06 MDT.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Get real on 08/17/2013 07:26:07 MDT Print View

I do get tired of the "your perspective is so wrong" and the dehumanizing "you're such a bad person, self righteous, you're such an idiot" lecturing tone from many of the posters on this site.

I personally come here to discuss backpacking. If I want to hear political lectures I'll take a class at the local Liberal Arts college or turn on MSNBC.

Everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion, wether you like it or not, although I'm bombarded with political correctness nazi's at every turn telling me I can't speak my mind. If I express my opinion, who are you to tell me I'm a bad person? You don't know me, you don't know anything about my life, my goals, dreams, or who I am inside. The poster expressed her opinion and was in all respects was almost verbally assaulted for having a contrary opinion to many of you.

And THAT, a basic lack of respect for the rights of others who see things differently than you, IS what's wrong with this country.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, in your zeal, you've actually become what you've argued so vehemently against.

Lets get back to talking about great hiking and lightweight gear ... And I for one will be ignoring this thread, and all the self righteous cow manure being spread around here, from now on, no matter which side of the fence the smell is coming from.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
nm on 08/17/2013 08:02:12 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by spelt on 08/17/2013 08:07:09 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: love thy neighbor? on 08/17/2013 08:06:18 MDT Print View

awww, spelt...

...never mind.

Edited by greg23 on 08/17/2013 08:08:17 MDT.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Get real on 08/17/2013 08:08:57 MDT Print View

"Lets get back to talking about great hiking and lightweight gear ... And I for one will be ignoring this thread, "

Oh don't kid yourself. You know it's so much more fun to get people worked up about political, I'm sorry "moral", topics, than it is to argue whether alcohol is better than esbit. ;)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Get real on 08/17/2013 09:18:48 MDT Print View

"...although I'm bombarded with political correctness nazi's..."

Only three pages until Nazis were mentioned! Not bad guys!

Godwin's Law at work again!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Get real on 08/17/2013 09:22:22 MDT Print View

lol Craig.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail "most dangerous" 10 hikes in the world on 08/17/2013 09:33:42 MDT Print View

Where's Hendrik? Heard he moved to Vancouver.

Edited by jshann on 08/17/2013 09:34:13 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
opinion. on 08/17/2013 13:05:32 MDT Print View

"Everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion, whether you like it or not... If I express my opinion, who are you to tell me I'm a bad person?"

Wait. So I do have a right to my opinion? Or not? I mean, if you express your opinion, sounds like I have the right to my opinion about that.... Or not. Confused. Maybe I only have the right to my opinion if you agree with it?

Edited by DaveT on 08/17/2013 13:09:04 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Godwin's Law on 08/17/2013 13:14:28 MDT Print View

From the Wilipedia definition:
"The law is sometimes invoked prescriptively to mark the end of a discussion when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument"

Works for me.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: the list on 08/17/2013 13:43:55 MDT Print View

"Does that include illegal immigrants?"

Tom,

Of course it does, but that doesn't mean you and I agree on the subject. We most likely don't in fact. Which doesn't mean either of us are bad people. Imagine that.

Ryan

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
hmmmmm on 08/17/2013 15:44:59 MDT Print View

how did something on an urban Vancouver trail on Outside Mag suddenly become a political discussion on illegal mexican immigrants?

;)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: hmmmmm on 08/17/2013 15:53:46 MDT Print View

This is BPL.

Accelerated drift is the rule.

Over in Chaff it can travel at near relativistic speeds.

It's only a small step from Nazis to Einstein. (see above.)

Edited by greg23 on 08/17/2013 15:56:08 MDT.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Whatever ... on 08/17/2013 16:28:44 MDT Print View

I remember when BPL was first starting out, the excitement of a whole new philosophy of backpacking, people going out of their way to help each other out, Bill Forshell and others driving innovative ideas, sharing the excitement of my first 5 lb baseweight weekend. It was an amazing time to be a member of BPL ... That was before technology began to catch up. We had to make all our own gear, with few exceptions, because even ultralight gear was too heavy. It was a lot of fun pushing the envelope of what backpacking could be.

Then The air of helpful cooperation ended, replaced by the communication style that happens on this forum with increasing frequency. I was away for several years and I guess I just plain forgot why I let my subscription lapse .... I remember now.

Do you have a right to your opinion .... Oh yeah, you certainly do. But the way people took her comments out of context and verbally attacked her was very sad, and it makes me angry to see someone bullied, even verbally on a public forum. Bullying is NOT a protected right under our constitution. My comments were born of that anger and frankly inappropriate.

So, on with the show ... More,fodder for the grist mill ... Enjoy.

But you should still be ashamed of yourselves .....

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail "most dangerous" 10 hikes in the world on 08/17/2013 16:45:48 MDT Print View

Dangerous? Seriously? To a city person who has never set foot on a trail.
How can you really call a trail with steps dangerous? Did someone slip on ice hiking it in sneakers?

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: opinion. on 08/17/2013 16:56:11 MDT Print View

"Wait. So I do have a right to my opinion? Or not? I mean, if you express your opinion, sounds like I have the right to my opinion about that.... Or not. Confused."

Haha, ZING!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: hmmmmm on 08/17/2013 17:06:11 MDT Print View

"how did something on an urban Vancouver trail on Outside Mag suddenly become a political discussion on illegal mexican immigrants?"

Five easy out of context words. Your tax dollars at work. Would have been a fine post if only the last sentence was left off. A Troll sentence if there ever was one.

Thanks for the self righteous post Mark. BPL need positive posts to stay a positive place.

Since this is a Chaff thread if there ever was one, I'll go there.

Edited by kthompson on 08/17/2013 17:08:22 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail "most dangerous" 10 hikes in the world on 08/17/2013 17:27:35 MDT Print View

Dangerous? Seriously? To a city person who has never set foot on a trail.
How can you really call a trail with steps dangerous? Did someone slip on ice hiking it in sneakers?

tourists who dont know any better try to do it in high heels ... i once saw a japanese tourist try to get up in efff me boots ....

of course its not really "dangerous"

Tim Jones, a spokesman for North Shore Search and Rescue, was disheartened to see the Grind described as a dangerous climb by Outside.

“It’s horsesh--,” he said on Thursday. “This trail — if you even can call it a trail, it’s more of a staircase — is not dangerous. It’s high-volume, and when you have that many people you are bound to get people collapsing, or dehydrated, or sprained ankles.”

Jones, who has worked for North Shore Rescue since the 1980s and has been on many Grouse Mountain rescues, said that on a busy weekend more than 6,000 people a day ascend the Grind.

“This (article) is doing a real disservice to an iconic path. It is very well managed by (Metro Vancouver), and whoever provided this data should know better. It’s fearmongering.”

Jones said there is a lot of “weirdness” on the Grind, including hikers dressed in ninja or chicken costumes, and people hiking in flip-flops or even high-heels. But he said that is part of its charm, and why so many tourists and locals are drawn to the place.

http://tinyurl.com/kvke6dx

the problem is the quality of Outside Mag's "reporting"

Jason Daley, the author of the article, told the #CBC he's been to Vancouver once but never did the #grousegrind. He says the criteria for his article were a "variety" of trails - everything from guerrilla fighters, to altitude, to "trails close to urban areas that might have a slightly sketchy reputation.">/i>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/15/bc-grouse-grind-named-dangerous-hike.html

;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 08/17/2013 17:28:31 MDT.