Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Recommendations for tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Dehne
(EngineerAaron)
Recommendations for tent on 08/15/2013 10:28:15 MDT Print View

I'm in the market for a new tent. I currently have a double wall "3 person" tent that weighs 5 lbs (stakes, poles, ground sheet, everything included) that is cavernous for 2 and quite comfortable. However, I'd like something a couple pounds lighter for long hikes that my girlfriend would still be comfortable in.

Basically, I want something with a tub floor that's fully enclosed for bug/critter peace of mind.

So that leaves single wall tents, mostly. Also, I'm 6'6" so anyone with recs for a tall person would be highly appreciated.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Recommendations for tent" on 08/15/2013 11:34:48 MDT Print View

There's two BA Fly Creek UL2's for sale on Gear Swap right now at good pricing. I use that tent as my primary tent. It would be cozy for two, but since it's you and the GF you might not mind. It's double wall, though, not single. You can check the reviews, the tent has been reviewed here.

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"Recommendations for tent" on 08/15/2013 15:25:03 MDT Print View

I'd look at Big Sky International......The 2P Revolution and 2P Evolution are both free standing double wall shelters that will will save quite a bit of weight. The 2P Mirage is a hybrid and will save additional weight.
I purchased a 1P Revolution six months or so ago and couldn't be happier with design and construction quality.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
TarpTent tents :) on 08/15/2013 15:41:55 MDT Print View

I am 6'4' and COMFORTABLE (lengthwise) fir into a TarpTent Rainbow. I bought the tent because when my son is ready to go hiking it will fit him in there for years to come. It has bathtub floor. Single walled, great ventilation. I LOVE my TT Rainbow!!

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Recommendations for tent on 08/15/2013 15:50:52 MDT Print View

My wife and I have been very happy with the SMD Haven Nettent and Haven Tarp for the last two years. A bit on the expensive side, but light and gives you the option of a net tent alone with a view of the stars or a two wall tent. If you use trekking poles it's even lighter.

Timothy Barber
(tbarber4) - MLife

Locale: Bremerton
Re: TarpTent tents :) on 08/15/2013 16:03:02 MDT Print View

+1 for TarpTent

I think it's a cult at this point.

Michael K
(chinookhead) - F - M
BA flycreek ul2 too short on 08/15/2013 16:45:32 MDT Print View

The flycreek ul2 may work for some, but it definitely will not work for you since you are 6'6". I'm 6'2 and the ul1 and ul2 are way too short especially with its low height in the foot area. However, the flycreek ul3 could work or the golite imogene ul3 looks real good for a real enclosed double walled shelter (screen and tarp)at 3# 6oz.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Recommendations for tent on 08/15/2013 17:21:18 MDT Print View

Because you are used to a 3 person tent for two. I would suggest ,if you look at Tarptent,the new CB3.
The two vertical mesh door ends, 86" apart , will accommodate your height, not something many LW tents can do without having your sleeping bag pressing against the fly..
The headroom is just over 40", not great for you but better than some.
(that is : not in one small spot only...)
BTW,all TT shelters are fully enclosed with a bathtub floor.
The one in the CB3 is 4.5" high.
CB3
http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html
Franco at tarptent.com

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Recommendations for tent on 08/15/2013 20:03:55 MDT Print View

The key part of your post is the last sentence. You are 6'6". Look to the craft manufacturers (e. g. TarpTent) rather than the big guys for a tent for a tall guy. In other words, don't expect someone who is making a tent for the REI crowd to make a tent big enough for you. The small tent makers simply make tents that are more roomy for the weight. Big Agnes, for example, makes very good free standing tents. But if you are OK with non-free standing, then you can do better. I would search for tents for tall people (or big people) and see what you can find. You might be able to find a perfectly good double walled tent for less than three pounds that fits you.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Big agnus Slater 2 plus on 08/16/2013 00:11:38 MDT Print View

This tent is plenty long enough looks like a fly creek2 but longer and wider. I purchased this tent but returned it (felt too small).

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I'm another 6'5" guy... on 08/16/2013 09:02:34 MDT Print View

who loves his Tarptent Rainbow.

Aaron Dehne
(EngineerAaron)
TT Rainbow on 08/16/2013 10:32:58 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone! Tarptents seem to have a lot of recs. I like that they're long enough for tall people.