Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Switching to a foam pad?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: re on 08/16/2013 19:16:03 MDT Print View

"Air pads are by far more comfortable than CCF... there seems to be some doubt in this thread. Just clearing that up."

no doubt here :) I've used a ccf pad occasionally in conjunction w/ a 2.5" inflatable to up the R value, but I can't think of a scenario where I'd opt for a ccf over an inflatable (thorny desert maybe???)- it certainly wouldn't be to increase comfort

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: re on 08/16/2013 19:21:49 MDT Print View

maybe i just need a comfortable air pad then. i dont know. gonna go to REI and test em out.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
air on 08/16/2013 20:06:38 MDT Print View

I will add that my xlite is extremely comfortable, more than my prolite plus for sure. I sleep like a baby. Whether on side or back.

For me, a full length pad makes a huge difference. I like my head and feet on the pad. I just get a much better sleep. I will take a short pad to be lighter, but I sleep a lot better on the full length. Very comfortable.

CCF is OK on your back. If you arent a back sleeper , or maybe stomach sleeper, you probably wont like it much on the side. People that use thin ccf pads learn to sleep on back usually.

Brandon M
(s2bmay) - F

Locale: DC
neoair on 08/16/2013 20:21:08 MDT Print View

Side sleeping Neoair xlite user here. As others have mentioned, I had to play around with inflation levels to really find what worked for me. Additionally, I carry a small section cut off a CCF pad that I use as a sit pad and back padding for my pack. I've found that if I tuck this under my neoair in the area of my hips, it ups the comfort even more.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: re on 08/16/2013 20:42:38 MDT Print View

^^^ I agree.. went from Ridgerest in HS. to self inflating thermarest... Tried the Klymit Static V but couldn't get used to it (FS if anyone wants).. now i use a NeoAir and will not go back.

you should try to adjust the inflation. I find that if i blow it all the way up then let it naturally deflate due to temp change i'm happy. Fully inflated is too hard for my taste. add my exped pillow and i'm out like a light.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

rei on 08/16/2013 21:14:52 MDT Print View

went to rei and bought a ridgerest solite. yeah its not super comfy, but it also doesnt bounce around or feel like im balancing on a balloon like with my x-therm. i'm gonna sell it. i may get a pro-lite short though. the demo one at rei was pretty comfy and didnt feel too bouncy.

i just laid down on the neo-air. i think it's that it's so narrow that i roll off it too easily. i feel like i constantly have to balance on it.

Edited by StevenDavisPhoto on 08/16/2013 21:44:57 MDT.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: rei on 08/16/2013 22:42:56 MDT Print View

"i just laid down on the neo-air. i think it's that it's so narrow that i roll off it too easily. i feel like i constantly have to balance on it."

This is why I prefer the exped pads. They are still narrow but I feel like they cradle me better. I'm guessing its due to the vertical baffles. I'm still waiting for that short and wide inflatable pad.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Re: Re: rei on 08/16/2013 22:56:01 MDT Print View

"I'm still waiting for that short and wide inflatable pad."

The Prolite comes in 36" and 48" versions. I'm looking at that now.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Re: Re: rei on 08/16/2013 23:01:57 MDT Print View

"The Prolite comes in 36" and 48" versions. I'm looking at that now."

But still only 20" wide. I'd like a short inflatable with a 25" width. Only way I've seen to get that right now is to cut down a large/wide neoair.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: rei on 08/16/2013 23:18:32 MDT Print View

ah, are you a bigger guy? i'm 5'8, 165 lbs.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Goldilocks at REI on 08/16/2013 23:22:47 MDT Print View

After too many sleepless nights from sore hips on a Z-Rest, I went to a big REI and laid down on virtually every sleeping pad they had on display, including doubled-up Z-Rests and Solites. I got a few funny looks from other customers, and ignored by REI staff – they must be used to this behavior.

I bought a small Therm-A-Rest 40th Anniversary sleeping pad, 2 inches thick, 17 ounces. I sleep much better now, because my hips hurt a lot less, and I sleep much warmer. The Z-Rest was not enough ground insulation for 40°F nights with a 30°F WM sleeping bag!

You can still find that pad at Campmor and some other retailers, but not at REI.

YMMV, but you might try your own Goldilocks test.

-- Rex

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Re: Goldilocks at REI on 08/16/2013 23:26:11 MDT Print View

haha. i was definitely doing that today at REI. didnt notice anyone staring.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: rei on 08/16/2013 23:51:00 MDT Print View

"ah, are you a bigger guy? i'm 5'8, 165 lbs."

Smaller - 5'5" and 155 lbs. Just not happy with the 20" wide pad standard.