Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest on 08/14/2013 21:42:42 MDT Print View

The past month has brought a series of accidental and arson fires. 5 or 6 in the Idy area.

So for the So Cal hikers (Nick G, Craig) here is a link to the list of trail closures.

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SanJacintoMonumentTrailClosures.pdf

The article says some trails may be closed for months (plural) because the ashes have taken over and the trail can be hard to find. It's not over, after the first winter heavy rain, there will be more flash flood and hillside mud slides. :( x 1000.

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2013/08/13/idyllwild-area-trail-closures-may-last-for-months/

Edited by RogerDodger on 08/14/2013 21:45:12 MDT.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest on 08/15/2013 07:25:26 MDT Print View

so the entire PCT thru the San Jacinto area is closed ???

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest on 08/18/2013 00:47:17 MDT Print View

As of today:

Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) Garner Valley to I-10 Closed to Visitor

The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from Highway 74 (mile 152) to Strawberry Junction (mile 183) near the San Jacinto State Park boundary due to the Mountain Fire Closure Area. PCT is closed from the State Park to I-10 due to the Silver Fire Closure Order 13-12. The PCT is open between Saddle Junction to South Ridge Trail only (access to Tahquitz Peak Fire Lookout).

Access to *Red Tahquitz is closed because its shared with PCT trail. Same with Black Mountain lookout. Laws Camp, Caramba overlook, and I don't think the Palm Springs tram is running yet.

Scroll down on this page to see updates.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/sbnf/recreation

Also Hwy 243 is partially open this weekend for the Jazz festival, but starting Monday it will be closed so CalTrans and clean up. They did say that they will open to traffic every 15 minutes with a Pilot car for a 1-way single lane. So expect serious traffic delays.

I'm also told that the shrubs and bushes on the side of the road are now burned, many locals used them as visual markers when driving, to mentally center the car on the lane. Now without the bushes, locals who are "experts" on this mountain road are finding it scary and dangerous to navigate without the shrub markers.

Edited by RogerDodger on 08/18/2013 00:51:24 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest on 08/20/2013 22:17:25 MDT Print View

Its a major bummer.

A trip report in the general area I did about 3 weeks ago -

Avoiding the PCT

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

After the forest fires, any photos? on 12/19/2013 09:48:11 MST Print View

Four months after the San J forest fires, there's been canyon mudslide, flash floods, deep wilderness trail closures for 12 months. Now we have a little snow and rain.

I spoke with a uniformed FS ranger, that said he wasn't even allowed in the Laws/Caramba/Red Tahq zone. The trail maintenance crews don't have any budget left for 2013, and looking at 2014 to rebuild the trails and remove the widow makers.

http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2013/11/20/local-trails-closed-year/

Has anyone come across recent photos from inside the deep woods burn forbidden zone?

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/19/2013 09:52:23 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: After the forest fires, any photos? on 12/19/2013 14:24:52 MST Print View

"Has anyone come across recent photos from inside the deep woods burn forbidden zone?"

And risk being picked up by the NSA?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: After the forest fires, any photos? on 12/19/2013 14:30:05 MST Print View

We fear the men in green jackets, but not the blackened evergreen trees.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: After the forest fires, any photos? on 05/12/2014 13:24:44 MDT Print View

I'm itching to go into the forbidden zone. Any unofficial speculation or rumor on the creek water at Laws Camp? mosquito mud or running water?
I didn't find any info on the Mt San J forum.

I suspect that those who know, won't tell.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: After the forest fires, any photos? on 05/14/2014 00:19:56 MDT Print View

There is little running water anywhere.

Note... I do not have an email address, computer, or internet access. I never read this thread. I don't exist.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

:) on 05/14/2014 00:53:01 MDT Print View

Thumbs Up

Even with the recent snow dusting, I figured this heat wave would nuke anything left.

Grumble... whatever weight I save for summer gear, I carry it 3x in water weight.

Alright, thank you sir.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
But Seriously ... on 05/14/2014 08:44:49 MDT Print View

does anyone know when the closed trails are scheduled to reopen ?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: But Seriously ... on 05/14/2014 09:34:12 MDT Print View

At first they wanted to wait for the first heavy rains to flush out the mud slides. That sort of happened by end of 2013, with the Zen temple at the bottom of the canyon getting buried in 5 feet of mud.

According to the ranger gossip, it was supposed to be re-opened by end of Sept 2014, however that's assuming funding is available on Jan-1 2014 to rebuild the trails and clear out the widow makers.

So we are almost half way through the year, the trail crews have not yet been funded, so trail work has not started.

What's her name, the REI ex-CEO that is now head of the US Dept of Interior, it's her call. But money that goes somewhere, has to come out of somewhere else.

On a separate note, the court judge said that the required parking fees/decals for Adventure Permits are illegal, unless you actually use the nasty toilets or picnic tables. So that means even less cash flow for the forest service, and trail repairs will likely continue to be deferred and delayed and closures extended.

I'm not defending it, just observing the red tape.

I would be in favor of a "I'm a big boy" disclosure. Put up a sign listing the known risks, and then for responsible people "enter at your own risk."

Right now it feels like they are using the "do not enter" law, to hold the forest hostage, until someone pays for maintenance.

Edited by RogerDodger on 05/14/2014 09:37:23 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: But Seriously ... on 05/14/2014 09:35:03 MDT Print View

Art there has been almost no information. A lot of serious damage. This was a hot fire. PCT to Tahquitz area? I wouldn't be surprised if it is 10+ years. Also a long time for the Laws/Caramba area.

J Dos Antos
(Damager) - M

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts
Re: SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest on 05/26/2014 21:38:05 MDT Print View

Wow, this is sad. I am doubly glad now I had a chance to hike this beautiful area before moving away from SoCal.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Most San Jacinto Trails Now Open on 06/21/2014 07:56:42 MDT Print View

as of June 20, 2014 ...

We did a run from Idyllwild's Humber Park to the San Jacinto Summit yesterday.
In talking to the ranger while getting a permit, most of the trails (well most that I go on) are now open. She gave me a map showing open and closed trails.

Humber Park to Devils Slide Saddle - open
Saddle to San Jacinto Summit via PCT and Wellman - open
Wellman to Summit - open
Tram to Wellman - open
Deer Springs Tr - open
Strawberry Junction connector trail - open
Devils Slide Saddle to Tahquitz Lookout (both trails) - open
Marion Mt trail - open

Saddle to Willows Crossing and Laws Camp area - closed
PCT south of Tahquitz Lookout - closed

Edited by asandh on 06/21/2014 07:59:04 MDT.