Forum Index » GEAR » looking for a UL shirt

Display Avatars Sort By:
bryan ennis
(neeonbrowwn) - F
looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 18:42:42 MDT Print View

thinking about the arcteryx skyline.. 6 oz, stretch fabric

http://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Skyline-Shirt-L-S/dp/B00BBOQ34Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376440841&sr=8-2&keywords=arcteryx+skyline

any other ideas? athletic fit is a must

thanks

Edited by neeonbrowwn on 08/13/2013 18:43:16 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 19:02:29 MDT Print View

As I first read this, I assumed you were looking for something like a stretch base layer. Why not go the base layer route and then supplement that with a trim fit runners wind shell?

And that assumes it is for backcountry wear--- or are you looking for something more travel oriented?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 19:13:30 MDT Print View

"any other ideas? athletic fit is a must"

While you're looking at Arcteryx, you might take a look at the Motus and Accelerator LS T's. Motus is lighter, SPF 25, breathes extremely well, and dries quickly. It's a great Sierra backcountry shirt, and also presentable enough for casual wear in town.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 20:19:55 MDT Print View

The Golite Wildwood Trail Running Shirt is 3.4oz in a Mens Medium.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 20:27:05 MDT Print View

Any number of lightweight wicking shirts will do, so I'll make your life more difficult and add another option to the pot.

I was recently given the Mountain Hardwear Way2Cool tshirt from a friend and ran a really long run in this shirt this past Saturday with a nice mix of heat and cool weather. Perfect conditions for testing a lightweight active shirt. I was very impressed with the shirt and how it worked during our outing. The shirt uses MHW's new fabric called the "CoolQ Zero". I don't know what all went into the design of the shirt, but I do know that it wicks moisture admirably and the fit is very much athletic without being too "techy". The colors come in obnoxious orange, belligerent blue, or wanker white. I would say it's most comparable to Patagonia's Capilene 1, but this shirt feels cooler to the touch and doesn't get as warm in the sun as Capilene 1 has for me in the past.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: looking for a UL shirt on 08/13/2013 20:34:44 MDT Print View

+1 on the Golite Wildwood trail running shirt. Excellent stretch, incredible breathability.

bryan ennis
(neeonbrowwn) - F
re on 08/13/2013 20:48:49 MDT Print View

though all the running and hiking base layers look good (for a BL I just use my STP redram SS wool v-necks ..cheap!)

travel-oriented is more of what i am looking for, something with a collar that could pass as a regular shirt.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
MH way 2 cool on 08/15/2013 21:48:58 MDT Print View

I own a couple of way2 cool t's and just (yesterday) ordered another-I'm using them for warm weather running and not another shirt in my quiver (and a have a few) wicks as well or feels as cool- they machine wash/dry up great; it's a very good t-shirt for warm weather aerobic activities

hartley flege
(hflege) - F
Arcteryx Phase SL on 08/15/2013 23:42:58 MDT Print View

Short sleeve T
Long Sleeve T
1/2 zip

Very simple. No pockets, no extras. Slim fitting.

No lycra but material has inherent stretch. does not snag as easily as others.

They do bottoms, briefs and bras as well in Phase SL, arcteryx's lightest layer.

Edited by hflege on 08/15/2013 23:46:02 MDT.

Jake S.
(spags) - M
collar? find something outdoorsy on 08/15/2013 23:55:30 MDT Print View

http://www.basspro.com/The-North-Face-Horizon-Peak-Woven-Shirts-for-Men-Short-Sleeve/product/12111305574441/

Look at outdoorsy retailers like basspro and cabellas. Usually they'll have something applicable in an outdated color on clearance.

Edited by spags on 08/15/2013 23:56:55 MDT.