November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
capers on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - MLife

Locale: Western Washington
capers on the trail on 08/13/2013 17:11:48 MDT Print View

Since pickling is a form of preservation, do you think I could take capers out on the trail, 4-5 days in west Central Washington, and not have to worry about them? Or, should I dehydrate them first? I can't have dairy, and I learned from Laurie Ann's book to substitute capers for feta cheese in some circumstances, but I want to throw them into a salad that is made of already dehydrated ingredients.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
capers on 08/13/2013 18:36:40 MDT Print View

While I'm disappointing to learn your post is not about tricks you play on people on the trail, or about jumping around, I have extensive experience with the pickled kind. They will be fine if you drain them well and put them into a ziplock - probably for the indefinite future - months I'd say. If you want you could leave then out overnight to further dehydrate, and simply soak them for a bit before you use them. As you pointed out, the salt will preserve them pretty well.

I have some dehydrated pasta puttanesca from PackIt Gourmet, and now I'm thinking bringing some real capers along might be in order. Good idea!

Edited by millonas on 08/13/2013 18:37:29 MDT.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - MLife

Locale: Western Washington
Sorry, Mark on 08/13/2013 18:43:48 MDT Print View

But eating in the woods is serious business, no games played here! ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: capers on the trail on 08/13/2013 21:40:29 MDT Print View

I have dried them:

I'd carry them though fresh if you wanted, just pack in brine. You can also find salt packed ones as well (much harder to find).