Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Tenkara for Backpackers: State of the Market Report - Part 1

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Iwana 11 Foot Rod on 08/19/2013 11:13:35 MDT Print View

Yeah I suggest also buying the 11 foot Iwana on sale for $125. The rods are beautiful, they are just the right length and weight for all around use, come with a great rod tube that you can beat the crap out of (although its heavy.)

I also like the Daiwa Soyukoze rod I bought from Chris at Tenkara Bum. Its smaller and lighter and goes where you normally can't go to cast with a longer rod. But they unfortunately discontinued. Chris also sells some flies that I really like and have had lots of success with the setup I bought on the site.

I just took my rod on a trip in the moose river plains wilderness - tiny streams that run through swamps, places you just really can't cast, no shore on the tiny placid lakes, no opportunities to wade because of insane boot-swallowing mud - and I found that I could use the bow and arrow case or simply dangle my line down into the few openings and catch fish. It was great. Lots of very small fish that normally won't bite are going for the line too, its fun!

I always bring my rod along on my backpacking trips and am frequently surprised where I find fish. Nothing wrong with using a size 18 tenkara fly or a tiny bugger like an ausable ugly to catch fish every time!

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Re: Any advice for buying in Tokyo? on 08/19/2013 15:14:08 MDT Print View

Hey Chris had a post on his site where he visited a famous fishing supply store in Tokyo and checked out a number of different rods that weren't available here, it maybe of some help. You can probably find it on hist site tenkarabum.

Leon Moonen
(leonmoonen) - MLife

Locale: Oslo surroundings, Norway
Re: Any advice for buying in Tokyo? on 08/21/2013 05:55:55 MDT Print View

I couldn't find that particular blog post but I did send an email to Chris to which he kindly replied. Here's some info for future travellers that is based on his reply:

Since I'm staying in Shinjuku, my first stop is going to be the Sansui shop in Shinjuku: http://tokyoflyfishing.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/proshop-sansui-shinjuku-shinjuku/
It is not certain they will have tenkara rods in stock, but it would be worth stopping there anyway to get detailed instructions on how to find the correct branch in Shibuya.

The Sansui branch in Shibuya is the shop that seems to be best known for tenkara rods (at least among westerners) of any in Tokyo. It is very close to the train station, but there are three Sansui branches within a couple blocks of each other and only one has tenkara equipment.

The best “entry level” rod Chris recommended is the Shimano LLS33NB or LLS36NB, both of which the Shibuya Sansui should have.

Finally, if buying in Tokyo doesn't work out I can always order from him as he ships internationally (and those blue rod cases do look really tempting ;-))

Edited by leonmoonen on 08/21/2013 05:59:48 MDT.

Craig Price
(skeets) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne, Australia
additional tenkara rod comparisons on 08/29/2013 06:56:08 MDT Print View

Try tom davis' site at teton tenkara. Tom also has a wide range of rods and compares them usefully with a slightly different approach to Chris. Adds to the info to help a prospective buyer.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: additional tenkara rod comparisons on 08/29/2013 07:59:43 MDT Print View

Teton Tenkara Rod Review, January 2013

Teton Tenkara Rod Flex Index, April 2013

Note that the Rod Flex Index was developed after the 12 Month Review, so you won't see it referenced in the reviews. It is an excellent tool for comparing two rod characteristics.

But, to confound things a little more, Tom's Oni Rod Review shows that some things just aren't quantifiable.

Edited by greg23 on 08/29/2013 08:12:08 MDT.