Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
On-line groups on 08/23/2013 23:36:07 MDT Print View

I am doing a six day trip in September with some fellow BPLers I have not met in person. I am approaching it as a solo hike where I will be self contained and will hike at my own pace within the daily mileage I will need to make. If we all hit it off that will be great and an added benefit. We have all chatted on-line and I think it is likely we will be pretty compatible and everyone seems to know what they are doing. For me the key is being self contained and independent. The only pressure or difficulty will be making each designated camp site. Hiking with others might be motivation if milage gets rough. As someone who does a lot of solo hikes, the added company and measure of safety will be welcome.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 08/23/2013 23:41:36 MDT.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
weirdos on 08/24/2013 01:17:02 MDT Print View

Ive gone on 2 meetups only.
Its a great concept and it does work but there are plenty of weirdo s out there.
On a backpack trip,1 member was a a spoiled trust fund jerk who drank a lot and boasted about using ecstasy and was a know it all about everything under the sun...he tried to start a fight with a female member whom he brought to tears.He came very close to fulfilling his deathwish on that trip.

In another meetup,i arrived on time and met the group.I went to put on my snowshoes and gear and the group left without me.Up to that point the organizer and i had numerous contact.After she bailed on me she never answered her phone or answered emails when i wanted to know what happened.This organizer has led many trips but i know unlike her profile she doesnt have much depth or backcountry knowledge and is dangerously irresponsible(hello,Dionne,LA Backpackers).

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: weirdos on 08/24/2013 09:30:39 MDT Print View

I went on a Meetup style day hike once years ago and one guy carried his lunch in a plastic bag :-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: On-line groups on 08/25/2013 17:55:45 MDT Print View

The vast majority of my excursions are with a local Meetup group - many of those folks are also members here. It's a great group (just did an overnighter with them, had a grand time).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: On-line groups on 08/25/2013 18:50:50 MDT Print View

I went on a winter trip with some crazy bloke from Ireland. Or was it Scotland? Worst trip ever. He got us lost, hiked way too fast, and wouldn't share his whiskey.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: On-line groups on 08/25/2013 18:55:41 MDT Print View

[Alas, I cannot tell a lie (unless its about Doug). We all got lost equally, I hiked way too fast, but I did share my whiskey]

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: On-line groups on 08/26/2013 07:22:33 MDT Print View

we were not lost Travis, we just forgot to mark our car on the Gps and do some bush whacking :-)

At least I got new snowshoes out of that trip.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups on 08/26/2013 20:25:21 MDT Print View

I have found that since I began leading Sierra Club hikes about 15 years ago the general fitness level of the average person has drastically declined. It has gotten to the point that I will lead only 3 or 4 day hikes a year. It's just too much trouble. I would much prefer to hike with no responsibility for people in over their heads, as most seem to be these days.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
general fitness on 08/27/2013 00:17:57 MDT Print View

The leader of our meetup group has organized/led a number of backpack trips.Given that, you would think that they were experienced.On this trip she had to have another member carry her pack for the last mile!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: general fitness on 08/27/2013 11:31:54 MDT Print View

Dave,
it isn't out of lack of experience, rather it's from superior cunning skill (and no shame) to get someone else to carry the extra pack.

Chivalry's weak point is cunning.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
hah on 09/04/2013 15:56:11 MDT Print View

It's not that women want to be equals, they want to be better than men, and chivalry is just one manifestation of this.

When was the last time SHE bounced ahead and held the door open for you?
Or drove and then opened your passenger-side door?
Or a female carried a pack for you, instead of just cocking her head a little sideways and looking at you funny?
Or bought you dinner?
Or let you pick what color the bedspread is going to be?!
Or mowed the lawn for you!

See! It's a conspiracy! "C....O....N.....SPIRACY!" - In Living Color

Okay, gotta run...think I've got a tongue stuck in my cheek.