Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2013 Sierra's Pack List
Display Avatars Sort By:
Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
2013 Sierra's Pack List on 08/12/2013 13:44:09 MDT Print View

Greetings,

I've been refining my gear and list all year. I've been out several times this year and am about to leave for 14 days this Friday.

Here's a peak at where I am at now....I've come a long ways from last year and years past where my pack weight (without food and water) was in the 40's and 50's.

Some comments on my list:
1) If it is highlighted red it means I am unsure if I am bringing it on this particular trip. So the weight of that item is not included in my current totals on the spreadsheet.

2) I'm 6'3" 220 lbs with a size 13 shoe. Some things are just gonna weigh more for me and I need some bigger items (sleeping pad, etc.) than some of you lollipop kids ;).

3) My pack..a little heavier after I added some pouches I wanted (not needed). I had a ULA Catalyst...I hated it....I like this one. So save your fingers on the pack issue or now.

I appreciate any and all thoughtful comments, advice, etc. I'm forever a student and ego is not an issue here...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7TQgzUxmdyYemFJNFY3WmRPVXc/edit?usp=sharing

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Thoughts on 08/12/2013 21:41:29 MDT Print View

There isn't a lot you could change inside a week, but:

Ditch the tyvek groundsheet. Tarptent floors are just fine by themselves.

It's a pretty dry year. I carried my VivoBarefoot Ultra Pure on my last trip and didn't use them at all. 8 ounces isn't worth it to me if I'm not going to need them for frequent crossings.

Got a lighter base layer? 11.4 ounces is really heavy.

That would save you a pound right there.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: 2013 Sierra's Pack List on 08/12/2013 22:34:21 MDT Print View

If the pump sack is big enough to take the place of your dry bag, and you like it for that purpose, ditch the dry bag and the pillow. Use six or seven ziploc bags inside your pump sack for a pillow. Saves you 2.5 oz, and you can inflate your pad easier.

Probably don't need extra shoes, groundsheet, or a headlamp (plenty of tiny led keychain lights that work fine).

Also, the MSR Titan kettle is almost an ounce lighter than your pot (snowpeak, right?), has four oz more capacity, and probably will still hold your stove.

Sorry I can't save you any pounds, but every ounce counts, right?