Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Biggest fish you've caught on tenkara?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
Biggest fish you've caught on tenkara? on 08/09/2013 15:06:12 MDT Print View

I just got back from a thruhike of the JMT last week, which was pretty much the best thing I've ever done. The fishing alone is worth the trip—there are so many fish out there, all of them larger than the average trout here in the PNW. I caught plenty of decent sized trout (~12") along the way, but I randomly pulled this monster out of Silver Pass Lake at 10,500', the first golden trout I'd ever caught:

Golden trout from Silver Pass Lake

The fight was pretty crazy. I was running back and forth along the bank to slow his runs, trying to remember big fish fighting techniques I'd watched in a Youtube video here and there. When I finally got him onto the bank, my heart was pounding out of my chest, as I thought for sure the 3lb tippet would break or my knots would fail.

What's the biggest fish you've caught with a tenkara rod?

Edited by kylemeyer on 08/09/2013 15:12:07 MDT.

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - MLife

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Nice Fish! on 08/09/2013 15:13:33 MDT Print View

Never used one, but nice catch!!

Jay Johnson
(itsjaywhatsup@gmail.com)
My Biggest... So Far on 08/11/2013 00:34:24 MDT Print View

It doesn't look too mighty, because it's body is bent away from my hand and is only 10 inches, but it is my personal best so far after 5 trips with my Tenkara rod. I tried catching some carp in a local canal and all I got was some broken tippet, so I ordered some 4x tippet in hopes for a 17"+ on my TUSA Amago. Hopefully I'll have another picture soon to update my biggest fish :)

10 inch rainbow using a Takayama Sakasa Kebari that I tied

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
Re: Biggest fish you've caught on tenkara? on 09/10/2013 12:58:34 MDT Print View

nice fish mate!
i'll guess about 14 inch?

in that same spot 20 yrs ago i got rare and xciting pics of baby Spotted Sandpipers...a naturalist i worked with told me to send em to Smithsonian, of course this was pre-google :)

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
7 lb. brown on Tenkara on 09/10/2013 13:04:22 MDT Print View

here's something to strive for!

a fine NZ brown trout on a Tenkara rod.