Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Why do we have to wait for gear?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dharma Dog
(DharmaDog)

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp
Re: Why do we have to wait for gear? on 08/11/2013 22:01:31 MDT Print View

Good things come to those that wait.
Joe just made me a custom tent stake bag to fit the 9 inch Ruta Locura carbon fiber stakes and then put up with me adding a sunglasses pouch to the order at the last minute. The order was entered into the USPS system early in the morning of 8/6 and I had my stuff in the late afternoon of 8/7.
Can't complain about that. My order was all stuff sacks and such. I imagine the quality control required for the larger more expensive gear causes the delay.
KCCO

Corbin Camp
(heycorb)

Locale: Southeast
Waiting is a good thing on 08/12/2013 13:13:46 MDT Print View

Anyone complaining about the wait time won't appreciate quality craftsmanship. I waited over a month to get my quilt from EE. That was not because it took that long to make, but everything to do with making sure it didn't get shipped when I knew I wasn't going to be in town when it was delivered. This was at my request. If this were from one of the big manufacturers, I'm not sure they would have been so accommodating. As for the guy who got just the raw cuben fiber. A mistake was made and it sounds like they fixed it. Not sure you would have gotten that quick of a response from a big company.

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Why do we have to wait for gear? on 08/12/2013 13:46:15 MDT Print View

For the same reasons we wait for our food when we go to restaurants that are committed to producing fresh, high quality meals to order for every one of their customers, even when we could just do the McDo drive-thru and have our food instantly :)

I would love it if cottage gear producers had an organization like Slow Food--a way of promoting small local manufacturers with an emphasis on quality and innovation and customer satisfaction, not just the bottom line. Maybe organize OR-type events specifically for cottage/indie producers, plus workshops and skillshares for those just dipping their feet into the small business and outdoor gear worlds...

Finding ways of *sustaining* small businesses, rather than forcing them to grow (and become the next Golite) is so important. I've talked to a lot of retailers (in the outdoor industry and otherwise) who would love to carry more small brands, but it's risky to invest in a little-known brand when the risk of start-ups folding is so high.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: It's how business works on 08/12/2013 14:31:13 MDT Print View

Jason : all quite correct, and will remain so intill something new comes along. the new thing that came along was QRM (quick response manufacturing) which, if you follow the rules, can land you reduced lead times AND better quality. QRM is a game changer. so, all of that is good.
the problem is that QRM, powerful as it is, is simply another tool. and you will soon enough reach an end to it's glorious benefits as well as all the other things you've tried. QRM was developed/promoted mainly by Dr. Rajan Suri. reading his books is mandatory to keeping up with production methodology. it is not at all intutive at the most basic level, but once you start to see things thru Rajan's eyes, QRM issues jump out at you from every angle.
i deploy QRM theory over a wide array of life's issues these days. from buying headnet material, to paying monthly bills, it's all the same story. analyise the task, reduce the changeover time, do not waste effort grouping work. do not waste effort batching jobs. do not squander the "now".

time is not money.
money is pathtic NOTHING compared to time.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
It's Ray Kroc's fault on 08/20/2013 22:54:37 MDT Print View

We are too impatient. Instant gratification.

We don't have to wait, we can buy something else. Unless the "perfect" piece of gear is only made by one company. Then you just have to wait. Patience, Grasshopper.

Good planning should eliminate waiting as a problem.

What about the old days when we had to order our normal household stuff from a Sears or Montgomery Ward catalog? We dealt with it.

The one thing I hate about the companies you have to wait for your stuff are the few that lack ANY communication during the time from the time the order is placed until it arrives. I no longer do business with any of them; I don't care how good their gear is.