Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating Soy Sauce?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 18:12:22 MDT Print View

I couldn't find any powdered soy sauce, so I figured I'd just dehydrate my own! Well, two days later, 1 cup on a liquid tray has crusted over and thickened somewhat, but not dehydrated. Is there a trick to this (including just giving up)?

James Cothran
(wcothran) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 19:41:47 MDT Print View

Have you tried cutting it with a bit of flour before dehydrating?

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 19:54:41 MDT Print View

Um... Wouldn't have considered that in a million years. What does that do?

James Cothran
(wcothran) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 20:04:55 MDT Print View

It should get it to the point where you can make a loose paste, and spread it on one of your trays. Send it through a food/coffee grinder after it dries. You may have to cut it again with flour there. Most soy sauce is derived from wheat (flour).

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 20:06:59 MDT Print View

Thanks for the advice, James. I'll give it a try.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 20:17:09 MDT Print View

Have you considered dehydrating miso paste instead? I have been wanting to try it.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/07/2013 20:18:13 MDT Print View

Great suggestion re: the miso paste. That would probably do fine and if rehydrated liberally provide much the same seasoning as soy sauce.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/08/2013 14:35:03 MDT Print View

http://www.packitgourmet.com/SoySaucePowder.html

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/08/2013 17:24:53 MDT Print View

I was just looking at packitgourmet.com

They have a huge selection

It's hardly worth dehydrating anything myself

I'll have to order some items, mix them together, I'm not into freezerbag cooking but it would work in my pot - bring water to boil, throw stuff in, maybe let it simmer on low for 1 minute until it boils, let it sit for a few minutes, voila!

Like maybe pinto beans, red and green bell peppers, carrot flakes, ground beef?, cheddar cheese, olive oil, some spices like onion, garlic, cayene, salt

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/08/2013 17:27:16 MDT Print View

I think that packitgourmet.com must be a wholly owned subsidiary of Sarbar Industries.

--B.G.--

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/08/2013 17:56:55 MDT Print View

I've decided to try dehydrating miso. I mixed some ginger, garlic and soy sauce in it. I'll let you know if it was any good in about 2.5 weeks. I'm leaving for Glacier tomorrow. Hope it's dry by tomorrow.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/08/2013 21:20:54 MDT Print View

Lol...what is funny is one of the owner's names is Sarah as well ;-)

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce? on 08/09/2013 07:32:32 MDT Print View

Well, so far I can tell you that miso does dehydrate. Overnight it turns into a soft leathery mass, even the stuff I made mixed with ginger, garlic and soy sauce. It smells good so I'm pretty sure it's going to make my dinners really tasty.

E.L. Boston
(El_Jefe) - F

Locale: The Pacific Northwest
. on 08/25/2013 22:02:33 MDT Print View

How much soy sauce are you using that the miniscule weight of a few single-serve packs from the local sushi joint is unreasonable? Serious question.

Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot)

Locale: Portland, OR
I second the soy sauce packet on 08/26/2013 03:15:50 MDT Print View

I really can't imagine needing to use more than a 1/4oz of soy sauce for a meal. The prepackaged soy sauce from the panda express down the street should be more than fine.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Soy Sauce on 08/27/2013 09:01:33 MDT Print View

How much soy sauce are you using that the miniscule weight of a few single-serve packs from the local sushi joint is unreasonable? Serious question.

I was preparing food for a family of three, one of whom is a 17yo teen boy who eats a ton. And for a trip of 9 days. Each of our food bags were between 15-16 lbs.

If it were only for 2-3 days and only for myself, it might not have been a very big deal at all. However, it was a longer trip for three, and we had three meals with soy sauce.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Soy Sauce on 08/27/2013 13:40:54 MDT Print View

With 3 kids now, I just quit worrying about packet weight. Honestly, it isn't that much!

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Re: . on 08/27/2013 14:40:39 MDT Print View

In my case, I had a tub of miso in the fridge and no soy sauce packets and was hours from leaving on a trip. Just enough time to dehydrate it. It actually worked well, but takes more miso than I expected to flavor my food well.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: . on 10/01/2013 08:28:29 MDT Print View

Piper, did you use it for soup, or just flavoring? I've had a hankering for miso soup lately and of course started wondering if I could make my own mix for hiking.