Pounds of food and calories per day?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 10:54:46 MDT Print View

How many lbs of food do you guys pack for a full day of hiking.

I'm re-evaluating my load and probably bumping up my food intake to see if I can cover more miles.

Just curious what other community members are doing here.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 11:16:16 MDT Print View

2lbs per day which works out about 3000calories.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 11:18:55 MDT Print View

what's your daily mileage too?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Miles, shmiles on 08/07/2013 11:42:18 MDT Print View

I don't think miles mean a whole lot. If you hike 10 miles and gain 10,000 feet that is going to require a lot of energy. If you hike 10 miles on flat trail in 70F degree weather, that is a different thing; as is 10 miles on a flat trail in 100F weather.

I have never assembled my food based on weight or calories. I just know what I will need to eat based on experience. I have a pantry full of backpacking food. For each trip I just grab what I need for each day I will be hiking based on the terrain, climate, and planned ending point for each day. Saves me a lot of time not playing around with all kinds of planning logistics.

For my thoughts on How many miles did you hike

Edited to fix the URL Linky Thingie.

Edited by ngatel on 08/07/2013 11:44:12 MDT.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 11:43:32 MDT Print View

For short duration trips it is 100 calories per mile + 500 for recovery at days end.

So for 30mpd that is 3500 calories and for 40mpd it would be 4500 calories Using an average density of 120calories per oz. (very high carbs) that would be 30 oz and 38.5oz respectively.

For a longer duration such as a thru hike it would be 200 calories per mile total.

For a 30mpd pace it would be a 6000 calorie load with a density of about 125 calories/oz or 3 lbs of food per day. (I have carried and eaten up to 8000 calories per day on a couple of legs but those were very high mile days on those legs and I couldn't afford further weight loss.)

Edited by gg-man on 08/07/2013 11:44:34 MDT.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 11:44:21 MDT Print View

as one goes deeper into a trip, the food poundage needs to ramp up. it's not miles that matter, unless they are special identical designated trail miles that are somehow are all the same.
you push 10-12 hrs hard, you need food.
longer weeks pushing will = more needs.

given a stable situation of walking and eating (no towns), eventually it will level out at about 3# a day.

one can save all sorts of weight the first several weeks though. and that's all fun and a light pack. but eventually you will run out of games to play, and have to eat real lots of food.
the better condition one is in, the faster this will happen.

one can focus on mpd, but you're going to find out once you leave the grid, that it's a dead end path which lacks flexibility to deal with the variables of wilderness travel.

food, it's a good thing.

v.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 12:45:49 MDT Print View

what Bob says Kevin.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 14:53:53 MDT Print View

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 16:47:31 MDT Print View

"How many lbs of food do you guys pack for a full day of hiking."

19 oz/2550-2600 calories for up to 10 days @ 8-14 miles/day, occasionally longer, depending on terrain, on/off trail, heat, elevation gain, etc.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Pounds of food and calories per day? on 08/07/2013 18:12:58 MDT Print View

Even hiking the PCT I never carried 2lbs per day. 1.5 a day maybe barely, and it wasn't all eaten. This coming trip I have about 5.5 pounds of food for 7 days and that includes a pint of olive oil.