Forum Index » Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lou Z
(lugee)

Locale: Southern California
Western Box on 08/16/2013 13:37:22 MDT Print View

Just got the western box today from Jeff. I'll add some stuff tonight and send it back out. Might need a bigger box soon, this thing is stuffed!

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
I'm in for western! on 08/16/2013 15:32:57 MDT Print View

I'll join the fun for western box. Have some things to contribute to the mystery :)

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc)
Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/20/2013 16:41:38 MDT Print View

The eastern box is on it's way to DraicKin in South Carolina. I took a pair of gloves and two tyvek ditty bags. I'll post pictures when time permits!

William Roddey
(DraicKin) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/22/2013 13:56:02 MDT Print View

This is so much fun.

Received the box today.

This box is packed full.

I took a clear plastic bag/pack liner?, an all weather note book, a pair Columbia zip off pants, and a Sansa 4 gb mp3 player.

The box is now on it's way to stephenm in Michigan.

Edited by DraicKin on 08/23/2013 14:01:36 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/26/2013 14:59:55 MDT Print View

I got the Eastern Box today (thanks Bill)

I had a look and not sure yet what I am going to take out, but will do so tonight. I am unable to edit the Spreadsheet but have contacted Ryan
To arrange getting the box to him.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/26/2013 15:49:05 MDT Print View

Box is going out to Ryan tomorrow, will update what I take out tonight :-)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Expanding the concept on 08/26/2013 16:10:53 MDT Print View

So instead of the geo-cachers moving around to swap goodies, the goodies travel around?

I like the idea. A lot. I like how it brings a group of distant people together. It's one of the reasons I PIF a lot of stuff on BPL. It might work even better in a smaller setting (to eliminate shipping charges) - a local Sierra Club chapter, scout troop, or MeetUp group. Pull a random number from a hat and be the one to take the box home after that meeting (but no repeats within a year).

For myself, gifting something is so much gratifying than bothering to sell it and (as a child of a child of the depression,) I can't even consider throwing something useable away. I can imagine people becoming very generous and a group soon being able to outfit new members totally from the goodie bag.

Maybe this could be become a component of BPL GGG events. A Chinese auction of sorts.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Donde es el Western Box? on 08/26/2013 19:24:50 MDT Print View

Anyone know the location of the Western Box? It's been off the grid for 10 days. I have some items to add to it so don't forget Washington.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Western Box on 08/27/2013 18:27:56 MDT Print View

Has Lou sent it back out?

Allen C
(acurrano)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Fox in Socks in Box on Rocks on 08/27/2013 21:02:23 MDT Print View

Lou PM'ed me the other day asking for my address, so I assume it is on its way to me now!

I'll try to get it turned around quickly once it gets here...
Allen

Lou Z
(lugee)

sending it out tomorrow on 08/27/2013 21:29:57 MDT Print View

I'll have it out tomorrow :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Expanding the concept on 08/27/2013 21:38:40 MDT Print View

"Maybe this could be become a component of BPL GGG events. A Chinese auction of sorts."

We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange.

rowan .
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
PIF Gear Swap at GGG on 08/27/2013 22:47:05 MDT Print View

"We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange."

I'd like that! I have a few items that I think would be useful to someone, but they have little or no monetary value. Other than that, everything I would like to pass on is too heavy to interest the BPL audience. :(

Lou Z
(lugee)

Western Box on 08/28/2013 10:12:05 MDT Print View

Western Box is on it's way to Northern California to Allen C. I had to change boxes out as the old one was overstuffed.

Can we add cities, counties, or locations other than states on the spreadsheet? I think it would be great to pass it around to those who are close by to save on shipping costs.

Edited by lugee on 08/28/2013 10:14:21 MDT.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Cities/counties on 08/28/2013 10:16:29 MDT Print View

Good idea Lou.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
City and Zip added on 08/28/2013 10:49:23 MDT Print View

Added City and Zip column to the spreadsheet.

Let's also consider using the box as a meet up opportunity. Should the box make its way to Arizona, it would be cool to meet up with John C and Chad. That will cut down on shipping costs and do some face-to-face community building.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Sweet idea on 08/28/2013 11:10:03 MDT Print View

I'd like to get in! Just cleaned my gear room got plenty of stuff I could load that up with.
Beam me up east coast

Edited by Wolfie2nd on 08/29/2013 03:21:20 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
RE: City and Zip added on 08/28/2013 11:33:11 MDT Print View

Sounds good Terrance, I would be more than happy to meet up with you guys. Heck, let's get a trip planned.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Eastern Box sent on on 08/28/2013 12:09:32 MDT Print View

Folks,

I could not decide what to take out of it so will be sending the box on untouched.

I was going to add a high value item but it would not fit in the box haves listed a seperate PIF for it.

Cheers,

Stephen :-)

Edited by stephenm on 08/28/2013 20:18:11 MDT.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: PIF Gear Swap at GGG on 08/28/2013 15:00:52 MDT Print View

Like Rowan I hesitated to join despite thinking this a fabulous idea. But I think I have enough good small stuff that might not be worth shipping individually, so now I'm in.

""We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange."

I'd like that! I have a few items that I think would be useful to someone, but they have little or no monetary value. Other than that, everything I would like to pass on is too heavy to interest the BPL audience. :("