Forum Index » Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/08/2014 16:24:36 MDT Print View

No disrespect taken Ian. Unfortunately, the box Ken posted is already in contrast with the spirit of the project. People are people. There are no doubt other ways to accomplish the same goal of course.

Ryan

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Western box photos/ input wanted on 07/10/2014 07:30:25 MDT Print View

Any more input? I would like to hear from Mike and see how that box is doing on its second pass through his hands. If no words then I'll go ahead with PIFing the quality items.

How about that Eastern Box? Real quiet on that side. I got a PM about the ECB a couple of weeks or so ago. Was to be on the move.

Jason Dean
(drasticjay) - F

Locale: Southeast
Eastern Hiker Box on 07/14/2014 12:13:23 MDT Print View

Ken, I received the Eastern box on 6/5. I mailed it out to Alan Greene in SC on 6/12 and received UPS confirmation that it was delivered to him on 6/13.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Eastern Hiker Box on 07/14/2014 14:35:19 MDT Print View

So Alan Greene been sitting on it for month. Real nice. Have that problem on this side too.

Mike, have you received the other western box?

PM sent to Alan Greene. Edit: Thanks for the PM Alan. Sorry you've experiencing the same lost quality issues. Thanks for kicking down and getting it back up to par.

My wife's work has a give away table for unloved, unwanted items. I dropped off some of the items not worth shipping again there.

Edited by kthompson on 07/14/2014 19:29:48 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Eastern Box is on its way on 07/14/2014 17:34:17 MDT Print View

I was told that the Eastern Box is coming my way. When I get it I will check it out, add a few things, maybe take a few things, and send it on its way! Woooo Hooooo!!

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Locale: Michigan
eastern box on 07/14/2014 19:15:59 MDT Print View

Can i call dibs robert? i have some things to add!

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:16:05 MDT Print View

I posted on 6/30 that I had the box and was ready to send it out. I got no responses from the people I pm'ed on the list so I again posted on 7/02 that the first person with interest would be sent the box but I received no response.

Anyone want it? I can send it out Tuesday.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:20:46 MDT Print View

Did you see my earlier photos and post about the contents Mike? How are you feeling about what is in the one you have? Should it be consoldated into one box again? I'm willing to do that if you like. Just send it my way.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:35:05 MDT Print View

I'd like to stick with the spirit of the traveling hiker box, so I would like to send it off to someone who wants to give and take.

I can appreciate your efforts, and please don't take offense Ken, but I think the boxes should continue to travel instead of being sent to someone who wants to decide what should and shouldn't be contributed. And I'm not saying I disagree with your findings, clearly there are things without value. But lets leave it to the receivers to decide weather they might like an item... *tongue click* or naw.

With that being said, the items in this box have a higher value than the cost of shipping. Any takers?

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/14/2014 20:44:18 MDT Print View

So, I've been thinking about jumping in on this... stayed away from it thinking most of my gear would just never be used by people...

But, have gathered up a small pile of gear I was thinking about passing along... and now I just check this thread to see how its going and see those photos that Ken took.

WOW - SHAMEFUL !!!

I mean, seriously, if that box of CRAP showed up at my house, knowing that the value of the crap inside of it is less than what it would cost me to ship it to the next location... well, lets just stay it wouldn't even make it to the post office. The entire box, from what I see in the photos Ken posted, deserves to go into the trash.

...I thought this was all suppose to be about hikers sharing cool and nice gear with each other...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:56:12 MDT Print View

No offense taken. Would it be OK to ship what I have to you to add to the box you have? I'm all for it to continue on certainly. IT IS A GREAT IDEA. But, the things included could have a bit better focus is my only complaint. Books, clothes should not be included. Books are too heavy. Clothes only will fit, appeal to a small sample of box recipients. Including items that everyone can use and be happy using are the items I would like to see. Which it was when I got the box the first time around.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 21:03:25 MDT Print View

Sure Ken, Send me what you deem to be appropriate and I will send that on.

Edited by klackamas on 07/14/2014 21:05:04 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Next on Eastern Box List on 07/14/2014 22:05:27 MDT Print View

I will figure out where it is going after I go through the list! But thanks for asking!! A lot depends on who answers their email!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/15/2014 22:37:03 MDT Print View

Box #2 is heading to Mike. I wound up not keeping anything for myself. Unless you count what I got rid of. I did include a half dozen or so items that I hope others feel are appropriate and welcome additions.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/22/2014 08:01:58 MDT Print View

Mike have you received the box?

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western Box on 07/22/2014 10:13:58 MDT Print View

The two western boxes have been consolidated and it has been sent on. Ken added some quality stuff, so I also dug deep and added a few items that I didn't plan on letting go of.

I believe this box is back to the standard it was meant to be. But the box is larger now and more expensive to ship.

In the few weeks I have had it I received no answers to my pm's. So I have sent this box to the only person who showed interest... Kelly Kading in Texas.

Let's keep this going, it's great!

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Locale: NorCal
Western Box on 07/22/2014 23:31:22 MDT Print View

Hi All, I'm interested in the western box. I've got a few items to add, located outside of Sacramento, Ca.
Thanks.

Edited by Rye_Tyler on 07/22/2014 23:32:05 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 07/23/2014 06:45:58 MDT Print View

Anyone still using the spreadsheet linked in the op?

Kelly Kading
(K.Kading) - M

Locale: Dallas
Re: Western Box on 07/25/2014 17:01:54 MDT Print View

Justin,

Send me your address and I'll send it out to you. Just received it today, Mike and Ken did it well.

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Locale: NorCal
Western Box on 07/26/2014 00:34:36 MDT Print View

Thanks Kelly, Pm sent.