Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Western Box on 06/28/2014 21:48:24 MDT Print View

George, Mike just had it.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
I have the second box on 06/30/2014 20:42:43 MDT Print View

I'm ready to send it out. I didn't see a problem taking the second box since it seems as though everyone lost interest. Took a travel toothbrush and added some stuff. Who wants it?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 06/30/2014 20:50:30 MDT Print View

All good then. I'm returning for a second go too. Lots of names still on the list. All lost interest? Shame. I'm waiting for the other one to arrive. Been pulling things together.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Western Box on 06/30/2014 21:12:53 MDT Print View

I would like a box. I'm from michigan though. pm me please

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Eastern Box where are you? on 06/30/2014 21:27:38 MDT Print View

What goes on with the East Coast Box?

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
western box on 07/02/2014 09:31:38 MDT Print View

I've gotten no responses. First person to pm or email me gets the box.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 21:57:23 MDT Print View

Mike, any takers?

I got the other one today. Pretty much a bust. A few good items. A few highly questionable items. Some trash.

I think it might be to the point of posting a photo of the contents and let you all decide how to proceed.

w1

Here is the bulk of the questionable items. And an aluminum scout cook kit, pan, lid and handle only, dented. One of those cable saws, 2500 lb test nylon webbing, 50'

w2

A New Testament, another book. A Disneyland pin, a union pin, 4 year old, hard hand warmers, A much shortened, used Suunto Core wristband, and a heavy stainless steel lid with a wrong threaded wing nut instead of the heat resistant knob it used to have.

w3

A give away bottle opener, free hotel coffee, give away cigar tool, box matches, old music cd, really? a Topo disc from '99, a selection of take out cutlery

w4

2 packs of brush ups, a plastic harmonica, twisted mass of masons line, non JMT approved pencil, a cheap compass, does point north, not liquid filled. cheap folding knife, and a lanyard.

w5

w6

MYOG cosy, two bladder bottles(new), Thermarest NeoAir inflator stuff sack, med. DriDucks pants(tan), yet another cheap folding knife(heavy!), an incredibly heavy for its size and volume storage tube, new Pelican headlamp and a mini UCO candle lantern, generator crank light. I don't think it holds a charge, a couple pieces of pack hardware.

w7

Fleece balaclava, Montbell hat, 80 liter pack cover in pouch, a Columbia Titanium shirt, size med, looks new.

I will also say that the box was way more generous and backpacking focused the first time around. This one is a poor reflection an what has been historically know as a generous group. Almost none of these contents is ultralight, let alone lightweight or even backpacking related.

I would be willing to PIF the remaining things a this seems to have run its course.

Edited by kthompson on 07/17/2014 08:06:50 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 22:39:03 MDT Print View

Yep, that looks like a pretty sad lot on the whole. If you're going to PIF the remaining items, I could definitely use that Columbia shirt on my upcoming JMT hike. It looks a lot more bugproof than what I have. I'll gladly pay shipping.

Edited by mebbott on 07/05/2014 22:39:37 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 23:11:51 MDT Print View

Does that blue folding knife actually have holes near the edge of the blade?

That's just sad.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 23:26:15 MDT Print View

--yes--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:03:36 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 09:28:25 MDT Print View

nm not relevant

Edited by kthompson on 07/06/2014 17:44:50 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box/ blue knife ? @ Justin on 07/06/2014 10:17:48 MDT Print View

It sure does Justin. Frost Cutlery, 440 stainless, Made in China. A whopping 4.8oz too.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 11:53:55 MDT Print View

--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:04:43 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 14:29:41 MDT Print View

I've started a new thread in Chaff into which we can tunnel the side conversation.

No offense meant to anybody here, I just have found that most of these tangents that should go into Chaff rarely end up moving there for lack of a good space for it.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 15:16:50 MDT Print View

Edited by justin_baker on 07/06/2014 22:52:48 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 15:30:21 MDT Print View

Items in the box are mostly crap it seems and probably not worth mailing on. I'd vote to PIF them on, with priority given to whoever is on the list, and let the idea rest for a year.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 16:28:12 MDT Print View

--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:04:07 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 17:32:15 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 07/06/2014 17:46:48 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/07/2014 11:00:28 MDT Print View

Wow. What a box of treasure! And I don't even mind the books. If this idea continues there should be a way to keep folks accountable although that might kill the fun. Maybe each new person updates the spreadsheet with what was in the box when they received it. Then you could tell who put in the most recent item(s) - good or bad.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 07/07/2014 11:01:33 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/07/2014 11:46:27 MDT Print View

I think this was a great idea and it was nice to meet a few other BPLers from my town when the box arrived. No disrepsect but the need to keep a list of who's contributing and who's mooching seems to be in contrast with the spirit of this project. I know when it left our town, there was a titanium pot, micro spikes, a hammock, brand new swiss army knife, etc added to some really nice items that were already in the box.

Sad that this needs to be said but for this to work, there needs to be GIVE and take.

If the box finds a second life and makes its way back to Washington, I have a couple items I can add to it.

Maybe we should start a PIF thread here with a contingency that the recipient will PIF something on the same week? One thought would be to make it a mystery item where the recipient either keeps it, shares a picture of it (hopefully in the wilderness), and sends on another mystery item, or rejects it and PIFs it to the next person. Sort of like a BPL version of Dirty Santa.