New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 08:17:04 MST Print View

No idea, I haven't received anything yet.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 13:34:38 MST Print View

>Jen Schwartz sent one to "Bay Area" on 01/29/2014

That was me. I sent it to Yuri R in San Diego. Tracking showed it arrived Feb 6th.

Edited by squark on 03/07/2014 13:38:03 MST.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Locale: Southern Oregon
western box on 03/07/2014 13:42:58 MST Print View

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Yuri??? Have you sent the box on? How about TAG, did you send or hand the box off to anyone?

Edited by Mjprohoroff1 on 03/07/2014 13:43:48 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
western box 2 on 03/10/2014 09:49:12 MDT Print View

western box 2 is (finally) on the way to Chad B. Should be there today or tomorrow according to UPS.

Chris Plentus
(XFitter) - F

Locale: Greater Philadelphia
Re: Re: Inventory on 03/10/2014 10:15:27 MDT Print View

Got the (eastern?) box on Friday; big box with an eclectic mix as Jonathan said. I looked through it quick, but was away this weekend, so I'll get to pick out some things and add my own this coming weekend. I'll PM the next person.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: western box on 03/10/2014 17:07:08 MDT Print View

Yuri said via PM that he sent it to the "next person on the list".

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western on 03/10/2014 18:11:13 MDT Print View

So that would be Sharon J? Squark?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Western on 03/10/2014 18:31:10 MDT Print View

No, Sharon already had it. Look at her post above. Are people not crossing themselves off the list after getting the box?

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Western box on 03/10/2014 19:23:04 MDT Print View

Hi all,

Here is the situation: I've received the box from Sharon, took one item out of the box (tent footprint), packed two alcohol stoves (home made), cat-hole trowel with nylon carrier (both new) and dry sack (new) and sent to the next person - Frank H. (Porker110). I've received several PMs (one from Frank - right after i sent the box) and one from Aaron (well after). I just checked today with Frank and he said the box never arrived.

Now here is the sad part - the box was sent with tracking, but i tossed the receipt a few days ago with the trash. I called USPS with my credit card information and transaction time that i pulled from the credit card statement, but without tracking they are saying they can't do anything about it. So I've messed up by tossing the receipt, it's my fault.

Here is what was in the box (from memory):
- 2 camelbacks
- 1 dog carrier/backup
- stainless steel utensils
- two books (one was "How to shit in the woods" and don't remember the second one)
- esbit stove
- alcohol stove
- pair of leather gloves
- binoculars
- pull-over or fleece
- Titanium mug with handles cut off and with a cozy
- backpack cover
- grease pot
- MSR stainless steel pot

I may have missed something, but that was most of the content.

Since it was me who sent the box and tossed receipt before verifying that it arrived to the next person, I will be putting a new box together. I don't have much gear besides what was already added to the box that was lost by USPS, so I will be going and buying new items. The silver lining is that the old box contained some items that were quite used, so the next person will be choosing from mostly new items.

I will update you all as soon as it has been put together and sent out.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/10/2014 20:28:31 MDT Print View

I received the western box #2 from TAG today. I've sent a PM to Michael Spielman in Sedona asking if he still wants the box. I'll give him a couple days to respond and if he doesn't want it or doesn't answer, I will offer it to Jason Robichaude in Utah.

PJ K
(kadowookie) - F
How do I get on the list? on 03/10/2014 21:06:02 MDT Print View

How does one get on the list?

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Sorry yuri on 03/10/2014 21:36:38 MDT Print View

I'm sorry that happened Yuri, but I'm happy things are moving again. That's a very stand-up thing ur doing. Can u make an invintory list to include in the box with the date after each item? Chad, you as well? That way we can cull the box if things accumulate that no one wants.

PJK - You can add ur name to the spreadsheet in the very 1st post (link at the bottom of post).

Edited by Mjprohoroff1 on 03/10/2014 21:37:21 MDT.

PJ K
(kadowookie) - F
Re: Sorry yuri on 03/11/2014 11:09:23 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info, I should have seen that.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/13/2014 09:17:43 MDT Print View

Well, I have made attempts to contact multiple people on the list to send the box to but no one has gotten back to me. So, first person on the western list to shoot me a PM with their mailing address will get it next.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Good on 03/13/2014 09:28:11 MDT Print View

Way to stay on top of it Chad!

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
I'm ready! on 03/13/2014 10:05:37 MDT Print View

Send it my way if no one above me on the list responds!

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Hi ALL on 03/13/2014 10:53:51 MDT Print View

I am a new forum member to BPL and have been lurking out in Googleland for quite some time. Such a great site. Now that I am here, is it possible people are not responding because posts do not generate an automatic message to their email? I posted last week on the JMT fishing thread, had NO IDEA people had responded and just happened to check and see that there were two responses. I am no technical genius here, but when I post on other forums, I am added automatically. :-) OMG, I am so retarded.... how about clicking "watch this thread".

Added my name to the list, looks like fun.

Edited by Lancelot2u on 03/13/2014 11:08:41 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Hi ALL on 03/13/2014 11:46:22 MDT Print View

nm, see you got sorted.

Edited by stephenm on 03/13/2014 11:47:40 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/13/2014 12:07:18 MDT Print View

Aaron Davis was the first to contact me so the box will be going to him next. I'll get it shipped out tomorrow and will update this post to confirm ship date.

Edit: Box was shipped to Aaron on 3/14/14.

Edited by CenAZwalker on 03/15/2014 16:38:21 MDT.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Western Box #2 on 03/21/2014 21:45:56 MDT Print View

Received box yesterday..will ship it out Monday.

I thought I might mention.. while some may find these items useful or may disagree with me, the box contents were a little underwhelming. Especially if you consider what it costs to ship this thing. At some point we may be just floating around a box of useless stuff. Kind of like a clearance bin that gets picked over. I think its fair to mention this. Of course if the person right before you puts a bunch of cool stuff, you might find something you like. If you maintain that its more joyful to give than receive, you'll probably enjoy having the opportunity to get it.