Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Any news on the Eastern Box? on 01/29/2014 23:39:58 MST Print View

I just got a PM from Mary a day or two ago asking for my address. I'm sure it will be en route to MN shortly if it hasn't already been shipped. I have a bit of cabin fever going on right now so I can't wait to check it out!

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
So Close on 01/30/2014 07:27:23 MST Print View

I keep tracking the location of the Western Box. On the Spreadsheet - I am wondering if it would be good to add the date the person signed up and/or the date they received the box?

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Western Box #2 on 01/30/2014 07:40:13 MST Print View

Not sure why my name was marked with green as having received a box. I haven't seen or heard anything concerning either western box. Last I knew, Tag had #2 and was going to send it my way. From there, I had plans to send it on to Sedona. Nothing yet.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Email addresses on 01/30/2014 08:03:33 MST Print View

Maybe we should put our emails in the note section of the spreadsheet. I know it is tough to try to contact people on here to find someone to send the box to!!!! The PM system on here leaves a lot to be desired. Just a suggestion!!!!

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Any news on the Eastern Box? on 02/04/2014 11:58:36 MST Print View

The Eastern box is in MN! I'm going to reach out to the other Minnesotans on the list to try to get it through more people in the time that it's here. I'll update as I have more news.

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
NY on 02/04/2014 12:20:11 MST Print View

Looks like after Jonathon Chin of MN..its coming to me in NY???

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Locale: Northwoods
Box in MN. on 02/04/2014 17:37:42 MST Print View

Yesssssss! I got an email from Nick VB today stating he has the box in the Twin Cities area and asking to meet up soon so we can keep the ball rolling (or box hiking).

I'm digging through my stash now trying to figure out what you folks may appreciate :P

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

On to the next. on 02/16/2014 13:15:02 MST Print View

I opted not to take anything out of the box this time around; it contained several items that I thought would be beneficial (and one dirty mismatched pair of socks which we threw out...gross...), but nothing that I needed for me kit. I added a few things to the box and left it with Jon.

It was SO much fun to have a box full of gear show up on my doorstep and to spend a few days digging through it. This is an awesome idea and I hope the list recycles once it makes it to the last person.

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Moving on, but where to? on 02/24/2014 15:46:12 MST Print View

First, I must apologize for sleeping on the box for a week.

That said, I've got it packed up and ready to ship - just not sure exactly where to yet. I messaged several people atop the list. Nick H, and Doug W declined and I am waiting to hear back from Alan G, and Sarah K.

I did grab a few little things from the box:
- Mini "Swiss Army" style knife with scissors & tweezers. Just like the one grandpa gave me when I turned 5 :)
- Mylar emergency blanket
- Emergency rain poncho
- Waterproof matches
- Wisp toothbrushes

A few notes about the box:
There is an eclectic mix of interesting & useful things in there! However, give-and-take-as-you-please enterprise, there is inevitably going to be an accumulation low interest items. So, I propose the boxes be "culled" periodically to reduce clutter & shipping weight. Any such items "too heavy for their value to be repeatedly shipped across the country" could be posted for PIF on Gear Swap and, if unclaimed, sent to Goodwill.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Moving on, but where to? on 02/24/2014 16:02:47 MST Print View

Jonathan, I totally agree that some of the stuff in the box is a waste of shipping and should be culled from the box to make room for other items.

Maybe if two people can go through it together and put the stuff up for PIF it could be more efficient.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Great Idea!!! on 02/24/2014 18:01:47 MST Print View

I thought the same thing when I looked through everything a few months ago. The problem is, one person's trash is another persons treasure. Hard to tell what should stay or go.

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
Re: Great Idea!!! on 02/24/2014 19:34:36 MST Print View

I'm not involved in the PIF box (got enough goofy stuff now) but I love the idea and what you all are doing. This may already be in place so not helpful, but I'll toss it out just in case...

On the topic of "bad things cluttering the box" and what to do about it... is there a running inventory with the box saying what's in it and HOW LONG its been there? I know you don't post it in the thread to "keep the mystery", which makes sense and it cool. But one IN the box wouldn't affect that. So if not, that could help determine if something should be removed. Could be super basic, just one line description with the date on a piece of paper. Once its been in the box for whatever rough limit makes sense (3 mths, 20 people, etc) then the person with the box at that point could either post it in this thread to see if it should stay or go, or just make the executive decision?

Edited by ohdogg79 on 02/24/2014 19:36:53 MST.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Locale: Southern Oregon
That would work on 02/24/2014 19:47:57 MST Print View

^^ That sounds like a great solution.

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Re: Inventory on 02/27/2014 11:58:19 MST Print View

I shipped the box to Chris P yesterday. I didn't have time to create an inventory, but think that one would be helpful in keeping the box relatively light & clutter free. I also 2nd (or 3rd, etc) the idea of starting over from the top once we reach the end of the list!

Thanks to everyone who contributed! It was fun to meet up with another BPLer and go through the box!

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Western Boxes? on 02/28/2014 08:34:42 MST Print View

So, there were two western boxes in circulation. Anyone know where they are? I have some winter specific items I wanted to put in before the season is over.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western box on 02/28/2014 09:12:29 MST Print View

I haven't heard much from the western boxes in a while. The new one started in Ca and went to AZ. I think it was going to make the rounds there then head back to Ca? The old one was in OR, but I think it hit all of us here and moved on. Can whomever has a western boxes chime in with where it's at and where/when it heading to? Also, I was thinking maybe we should start a new thread with a link to the spreadsheet just for the west side. That way the post are all more area specific. The east side can keep this one, because they started this sweet ride, and the wild west can start a new one. Thoughts?

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
Re: Western box on 03/02/2014 21:49:14 MST Print View

Hello western boxes. Where are you? I was an "early adopter" but I haven't heard or seen anything. Hellllooooo.?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ship that #*&$! Western box on 03/02/2014 21:54:38 MST Print View

This is shameful. Trying to do something nice and someone has to ruin it by being lazy and or disorganized . No excuses. Get that thing in the mail.
Mail goes out on Monday.

Look, tomorrow is Monday.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Where are you western box??? on 03/07/2014 01:44:48 MST Print View

Come on people, this is unacceptable! Who /where is the western box??? There is a bunch of people that haven't had it visit yet. Let get it going again!

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 07:49:16 MST Print View

The last mentions of both western boxes in this thread were:

TAG in AZ was going to send to Chad in Prescott on 01/08/2014 but Chad posted saying he never received it.

Jen Schwartz sent one to "Bay Area" on 01/29/2014

Perhaps Jen and TAG can chime in on where these boxes were sent...

Edited by ardavis324 on 03/07/2014 08:23:10 MST.