New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Williams
(Gwilli) - M

Locale: Tri-cities,WA
Western box on 12/20/2013 22:13:03 MST Print View

I had a great time meeting fellow BPLers Ian, John and Ammon today at a local watering hole to go through the western PIF box and consume a few malted beverages. There was some interesting and hilarious items in there. I took a book about how to _____ in the woods and a couple trash compactor bags. As far as I know, Ammon is driving the box down to Hermiston, Oregon this weekend. The box was already packed, and the four tricity guys have added some impressive items to it. In fact not everything fit and stuff was taking up space in the back seat of Ammon's car next to the box. Thanks for everyone who contributed and I hope the stuff I added goes to a good home to be used out on the trail.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

Locale: SoCal
WESTERN BOX on 12/20/2013 23:11:21 MST Print View

If I could throw my two cents in... I think if we continue to just pass the box around to people in you area so you don't have to pay shipping... #1 It is not very fair for people like myself who signed up months ago to watch people who signed up a week or two ago get the box before me because of their geographical location. Not only is it frustrating, but I have to hold onto all of these items that I want to toss in the box. #2 If you think $20 is too much money to pay to ship good karma to your fellow BPLers and have access to free stuff IMO you are missing the point of this whole thing.

OK, I'm done with my rant now.
Alex

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: WESTERN BOX on 12/21/2013 02:37:56 MST Print View

(BPL at 130am. Why oh why do I eat spicy food before going to bed?)

Hi Alexander,

I'm not sure who that was directed at but just wanted to mention that Greg and I were on the list ahead of you as is the person who's getting the box next. Ammon is not only driving the box to the next person on his own dime, but threw in some really nice gear to the cause, arguably among the nicest items in there. I appreciate the frustration but at least the box is moving now, three more names are off the list in less than a week, and you have some nice gear heading southbound your way.

Take care and happy trails.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
Western box on 12/21/2013 05:35:41 MST Print View

Alex...I share some of your frustration. If you notice, the top 3 names on the Western box are in AZ. It has been hard to watch the box head from SoCal to the PNW. Hopefully, after the trip down to Oregon, it will come this way.

Ian (and others who have seen the box), please update the tracking spreadsheet so that it remains accurate.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

Locale: SoCal
Ian on 12/21/2013 06:54:45 MST Print View

wasn't directing it at anybody in particular. Yes, I have seen the list and know who is in front of who. I guess it was more of a venting session than a jab @ anyone. Glad to hear that the box is on the move again. Hopefully it will make it back down to the southwest and we can get it in the hands of the people towards the top of the list like TAG and the like.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Locale: South Eastern Washington State
Keep your two cents on 12/21/2013 10:24:13 MST Print View

Next person near Seattle Jamey Tisdale of Duvall, WA ,Andy Nam of Mill Creek and Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA. There are three of us willing to meet up in the Tri-Cities Greg Williams , Ian Bloom and I ( Ammon Bruce) then I will get the box to Rodney M of Hermiston, OR. Then clean out Oregon with Jen K of Eugene and Mike Prihiroff of Eagle Point. So, hopefully by December it will be in the South. Do what you like, this is only a suggestion. Happy Trails!

That is what I posted way back on Page 10. On the Western box there has been about 12 people that have received it. Thanks to us we will have 5 out of that 12 people done in a week!!! I have worked for months on it with Pm people and posting. I have tries to get to the people in the front of the list this Whole time. Look at my posts. We had a great meet up and now we have new Hiking buddies. Thanks Western Box!!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Keep your two cents on 12/21/2013 10:26:01 MST Print View

Word up!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Locale: Southern Oregon
Happy on 12/21/2013 10:27:38 MST Print View

I'm just happy it has resurfaced and is moving again. Great job WA.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Western Box; keep it going tips. on 12/21/2013 10:57:42 MST Print View

We are all Adults here and you can't tell other Adults what to do. Suggestion: What people can do to put more good Karma back in the box is the following:

1) Get a hold of the person that is next on the list or who you want to meet up with and get their info; before you get the box.

2) Have all you PIF items ready and money set aside for shipping. $20 should do.

3) Meet ups are Great; lots of new friends and stories.

4)If your a Sleepless in Seattle (very busy) or going on Vacation; then Pass like P.P. did on the post.

5) 2 day turn arounds; ship it within 2 days. Item in motion; stays in motion. Items in rest; tends to stay at rest!!

But how do I get a hold of the next person!?!?
Google it!! Take their name Ammon Bruce and search Ammon Bruce Backpacking Light and my name and form post pop up at the top of the Google search. If the name is more common John Anderson; then take their user name and search that. Send them a PM and off the Box goes to the next person.

Every time the Western Box moves; an Angel gets its wings!!!!

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
I encourage the meet up on 12/21/2013 15:00:23 MST Print View

I was not on the western hiking box list and I attended the meet up. I had a good time talking gear and trails. I did take something out of the meet up a face to go with names and a better sense of community in my community. I will add to the box with out taking anything I can hold in my hands away. I will now include two american 1 cent coins (my two cents) and see it on its merry way to beautiful Oregon. I hope the spirt of the box continues on and more local meet ups happen. Thirty dollars in shipping saved here and hundreds of dollars in gear added for the next folks on the list.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Western PIF Box on 12/21/2013 17:16:48 MST Print View

I mentioned the shipping price in my recent posts here, but it certainly wasn't to complain. I'm pretty confident most people are putting in more gear value than they're taking out - money isn't the issue for sure. My bigger concern with shipping was/is TIME. That's why I sent it over to the Tri-Cities. I'd had an exchange with Ian before, knew he was responsive, and knew there were a few people over there. With ONE ship, we hit at least 3 over here on the West side and 5-6 it seems on the East side. 6-7 of those had the box in hand and gone in less than a week total. That's impossible with shipping between each person.

Cheers for efficiency!

p.s. Thought that Whisperlite kit would be there until the end of time. Shocked it only lasted until the next person :)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Western PIF Box on 12/21/2013 22:20:34 MST Print View

I should receive my stove early next week. To my knowledge, the stove is coming with a kit but the timing was so perfect that I took it as a sign that this stove I and will melt a lot of snow together and had to grab it.

I really have to give John a +1. The stuff inside the box was really fun to rummage through. There is some really nice/useful gear leaving the Tri Cities with what we left for the next person and was added by our group. The real value of this box (for me) was watching it take a life of its own and being able to connect with other BPL members either through PM and in our case, to meet up and talk about our past and future adventures.

Edit: Well Curt, not trying to be Johnny Come Lately with my mountain goat avatar but I took a thrashing this week for my GIFs and had to find something quick to keep the pitchforks and torches at bay. Mine is one of my favorites from last summer from the Upper Enchantments. Met this guy at the top of Aasgard Pass.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/21/2013 22:25:23 MST.

Z V
(Overshot03) - F

Locale: Maine / NY
Sign me up on 12/22/2013 05:32:27 MST Print View

I’ll be j=honest, I did not read all the posts on this topic. I would like to get in on the hiker box. I am in NY, and have several things to add to it. Is there a link to the routing, shipping details, etc? Thanks

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

my picks from the Western PIF Box on 12/22/2013 09:36:47 MST Print View

My two cents......

Well there are a ton little treasure, but I liked the Yukon Outfitters hammock. Thanks to you know who you are, great gift. Then we have fire stater discs. A locking knife with a face with tongue stinging out,on the white box; one of my personal favorite items. An MSR aluminum bowl. Also a Lowe Alpine M pack cover. Spork, spoon, bottle and Matches finishes my loot. Great items to find. Thank you all that know who you are!!!

Hector Luevano
(Whatthehector) - F
I'm in! on 12/22/2013 11:01:56 MST Print View

I'm new here, but I love this idea! Big thumbs up for seeing something like this in the community. I have some sweet stuff collecting dust I'd love to throw in there. I'm sure someone will love it ;). Sign me up! I'm in San Diego, CA.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western Box is moving on 12/30/2013 20:36:45 MST Print View

Well I got the western box today, and what a joy looking through everyone's little donations. This box is pretty big, heavy, stuffed to the gills. I took a couple little things and replaced with twice as many things. It's easy to see how this box is getting so big and full. Anywho, I have it boxed back up and will try to get it shipped off to AZ tomorrow. If someone would please highlight my name on the list, I can't seem to get the highlight to work. Thank you to all involved!
Mike

Jen Klaudinyi
(Jenklaud) - F

Locale: PacNW
or on 12/31/2013 01:05:27 MST Print View

wait- I'm still in or- long on the list and waiting for the western box!

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Locale: San Diego
Re: Western box on 12/31/2013 10:39:34 MST Print View

I am going to start another Western box. I am in Orange County California, and can send it anywhere...it sounds like AZ might be a good start??

I will have it packed up and ready to ship Jan 2 2014. As in next year. Or 48 hrs.

What are everyone's suggestions on how to select the next recipient? Should we start another list? Split it in two? Keep this one south of the Central Valley and west of TX? Open to suggestions...

Tommy

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western Boxes on 12/31/2013 13:53:11 MST Print View

My feeling from the begining is that the box should have been sent to the next person on the list regardless of where that person is located (unless 2 or 3 people close to each other wanted to meet up and do it just cause I like that idea). Anyway TAG in AZ was the 1st post on page 2 and the 1st western poster)and has been active throughout this whole thread, thats why I was planning on sending the box to him next in hopes that from this point forward it just follows the list. If a 2nd box gets started and TAG in AZ is ok with the new box going to him instead of the old box, then I will send my box to Jen in Eugene. But if for any reason TAG wants the old box I have, thats where its going. I love idea of the 2nd box. I will contact TAG and get his thoughts.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

2nd box on 12/31/2013 14:03:14 MST Print View

I'd also suggest using a differnt highted color on the spreadsheet for Box #2 to help keep things straight. Thank you to whomever highted the list for me.