Forum Index » Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Morgan
(Bradtmorgan) - F

Locale: Western NC
Stoked about the spirit of the PIF hiker box on 12/10/2013 16:55:45 MST Print View

Excited about the mojo of the Eastern Box. Please send it to the Asheville, NC region so can add to it and send it on its way!

Ryan Friend
(OzarkHiker) - F

Locale: Oklahoma
In the Oklahoma Area on 12/10/2013 17:16:03 MST Print View

I would love to get in on this. I have several items that I am going to be receiving for Christmas that will be duplicates. I also have a bunch of stuff that I have never used that I am just sitting on with nothing to do. Are we allowing very lightly used items as well? I have a few things that I have used a handful of times, but never use any more, like an MSR Titan pot. Let me know.

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Eastern Box on 12/10/2013 19:16:21 MST Print View

Nathan, is sending it all the way up to NH a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease? Logistically it doesn't make any sense to ship it past several states that have people waiting for it. No offense Victor. Just my two cents.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Shipping the PIF box on 12/10/2013 21:55:02 MST Print View

Not easy to get people to respond when going down the list of names, from my experience. I ended up sending it from SC to TN because none of the SC guys responded. You do what you can!!

Nathan Washburn
(nwashburn)

Locale: Southeast
Shipping Discretion on 12/10/2013 22:36:50 MST Print View

Actually my approach was based on order of sign up. Theoretically people could continue to add their names to the spreadsheet for the next several months. If many of them are from the South and the box continues to travel only to nearby states, those who signed up early but happen to live elsewhere would not get the box for a long time. So I just started at the top and began e-mailing people. Nate and Evan declined for now, and Nick didn't respond. Then I e-mailed Victor and Alan a day apart and only Victor has responded, so I sent it to him.

Communication on this has been tough. I had agreed with a guy in my city to meet up when the box came to him, and the box came and went without him ever contacting me. It's a great little idea though, and I like the spirit of it.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Western PIF Alive! on 12/13/2013 07:06:08 MST Print View

The Western Traveling PIF Box is on the move again! Got it a couple days ago after Tad put some fun new stuff in there. Took 4 things out and added 12-14 little items and got it boxed up in about 24 hours. There are 3 guys on the list on the other side of the Cascades, so it's on its way over there to hopefully get passed around pretty quickly with no shipping time or expense. The box is definitely in need of being expanded or folks need to take some of the bigger stuff out. It's STUFFED! Probably about a $20 per ship proposition at this point for future recipients' information.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
PIF on 12/13/2013 09:44:32 MST Print View

I just signed up for the Eastern box - still unclear exactly how it's supposed to get to me, but I've got a lot of stuff to contribute. Love this idea and hope I can be a part of it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Western PIF Alive! on 12/13/2013 09:56:53 MST Print View

"The box is definitely in need of being expanded or folks need to take some of the bigger stuff out."

We'll check it out when it gets here but would a five gallon bucket work or are the items too bulky even for that?

Ryan Friend
(OzarkHiker) - F

Locale: Oklahoma
I just signed up for both. on 12/13/2013 10:09:34 MST Print View

Is that against the rules? I am in OK and the boxes have both gone to states that border mine. If I get them both around the same time, I can take out some of the bigger stuff in one and put it in another. OR I can take out some of both and create a "Central States" box? Just a thought.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Re: I just signed up for both. on 12/13/2013 19:34:13 MST Print View

Love checking in on this project and I am so glad you guys are enjoying it.

First, no need to stress over 'rules' since there really aren't any, just suggestions to keep this project rolling...

As for the size of the growing box (either East or West), maybe split it into 2 and send it to 2 different recipients... That could cut the growing shipping cost down after the initial split and get the new boxes moving faster. Again, just a suggestion. If you want to ship it back to me I would be happy to split it up and the new boxes off again if that helps.

Cheers!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Box on 12/13/2013 19:36:47 MST Print View

Great idea^^^

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Western PIF on 12/14/2013 09:03:49 MST Print View

It would probably fill a 5 gallon bucket half way if packed thoughtfully. It can easily just be put into a bigger cardboard box, but at some point the size & cost to ship gets to be a bit silly. What the Western box really needs is for someone just starting out or someone with kids to get a hold of it and pull a bunch. All 4 items I grabbed are for my 11 year old. Perfect! Of course, like most appear to be doing, I put in 3x what I took out.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Western PIF on 12/14/2013 09:45:25 MST Print View

Someone also could split it into two boxes and let it cover twice the ground. Just a thought. I too thought that somewhere along it's travels it could almost kit someone out. I took three things out and put like twelve things in. Seems like that's the norm. Gosh, we're a generous lot ;)

Terry Sparks
(Firebug) - M

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast
Add me to the West sign up list on 12/14/2013 16:34:39 MST Print View

I have a few things that are would be very nice to give to another hiker and at the same time, would enjoy a surprise or to from the box.
Add me to the list for the West Coast box.

Thank you,

Terry Sparks
Carpinteria, CA

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell) - M

This is cool! on 12/14/2013 17:03:20 MST Print View

This is very cool. I would like to sign up.

George Ramsdell
Snohomish WA

Z V
(Overshot03) - F

Locale: Maine / NY
How do I get in? on 12/14/2013 21:34:28 MST Print View

I have a couple of items to add in, if there is any way to get the box. I'm in NY, and could turn it around pretty fast.

Always appreciated the hiker boxes thru-hiking!
Thx

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: How do I get in? on 12/14/2013 21:37:32 MST Print View

See link at bottom of the first post. Add yourself to the spreadsheet.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Box in the Tri Cities on 12/17/2013 09:06:15 MST Print View

Box just arrived on my doorstep. I'll get in touch with the local BPLers and hopefully we'll have this box moving on before the weekend.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Box in the Tri Cities on 12/20/2013 20:10:07 MST Print View

Just met up with John, Ammon, and Greg to rummage through the box and for rehydration purposes. There were some interesting items in the box and a couple which were mildly humorous. I ended up taking an item that Ammon brought but as it's a thank you gift for another BPL member, I'll hold off on the pictures. I recently purchased a Whisperlite off of gear swap so I liberated the gasket kit out of the box; thanks to whoever threw that in there.

Nice to meet some local BPLers and I hope we can meet up for a hike one of these days.

Many thanks to the OP for setting this up. This was a lot of fun and hope my contributions will serve someone well down the road.

Happy trails all.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/20/2013 20:31:31 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
Western box...where next? on 12/20/2013 20:28:38 MST Print View

I'm glad the western box is finally moving. Where is it headed next? I'm sure the box would appreciate some sunshine after getting stuck in the rainy northwest. How about sending it to Arizona?