Forum Index » Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 07:40:37 MDT Print View

OK, so I have never seen a hiker box since most of the trails I am on aren't long trails and thus no thru-hikers and re-supplies. Sounds kind of fun and it gave me an idea along the PIF sharing. It also happens that I am in a 'purge' mood at the moment and there is plenty of items laying around that someone might get some use out of.

So here's the plan -- I am going to put together a 'travelling hiker/PIF box' and ship it to another BPLer. They then get the excitement of checking out its contents and swapping some for other stuff out of their gear closet that they no longer want/use. Pack it up and send it to the next BPLer... Fun, right?

Some suggested guidelines (dare I say rules) --

1. The person receiving the box is welcome to pillage as much as they like as long as they put some of their unused stuff back in (good judgment on like value taken/replaced here would be appreciated).
2. Since shipping is involved, the person sending on to the next BPLer can suggest and pick a recipient based on how far they are willing to ship the box (or if they just want to focus it in a specific area). Hopefully, the goal is that it travels around pretty well.
3. If you are requesting to be a recipient, please keep the box moving as quickly as you are able.
4. As a recipient, please post what you 'found/claimed' out of the box so that everyone can enjoy your fortune. I think it will be also interesting to see what type of stuff interests different people.
5. Keep the mystery (i.e. don't spoil the surprise) by NOT listing the contents of the box that you haven't claimed.

I am in Ohio and since Ohioans typically will not locally experience a hiker box, I will send the first box to an Ohio BPLer.

Any takers? We'll use the first come, first served method unless Sender chooses otherwise for personal reasons.

Adding the reservation and tracking spreadsheet thanks to Jeff M. -- Tracking Spreadsheet

Edited by tinkrtoy on 08/29/2013 06:26:17 MDT.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Traveling Hiker Box on 08/07/2013 07:52:12 MDT Print View

This is a great idea! Once I am back at school I would love to participate, I have a few things that I could contribute.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 08:32:10 MDT Print View

I'd liketo get in on this. I've got a few items I've been meaning to PIF but haven't taken the time to post them.

I seem to recall something like this a few years back, maybe it was over at TLB though. Regardless it sounds like a lot of fun!

Adam

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 08:46:18 MDT Print View

Iowan kinda rhymes with Ohioan could that count. I wanna play and we don't see hiker boxes here either.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 09:17:57 MDT Print View

A little teaser - still waiting for an Ohioan, but I am sure it will make it around to Iowa and any one else interested (at least I hope so). Ready to ship...1st_hiker_box

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
awesome! on 08/07/2013 09:25:00 MDT Print View

I gotta dig through my closet but I am sure I will find gear to PIF. kind of reminds of geocaching.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: awesome! on 08/07/2013 09:45:00 MDT Print View

Actually, I remember hearing about something similar when I was more into geocaching some years back (2,000+ finds! - probably not much by standards now). Glad to see some excitement around here.

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Locale: Ohio
Ohioan Here! on 08/07/2013 09:45:08 MDT Print View

I'm in. I've done a few PIFs on both ends, and it's a great way to try out some stuff for those of us who don't get to hang out at REI. I just finished up a major project at work and promised my son another hiking trip now. Be glad to pass it along. I'm south of you, and also miss out on some of the spectacular hikes out west, but I also don't worry about a bear eating me, so I suppose they're always trade offs...

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
pif box on 08/07/2013 10:49:00 MDT Print View

I'm in.
Minneapolis, MN!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Gear box on 08/07/2013 10:55:46 MDT Print View

Fantastic idea! Good for you for doing this.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: pif box on 08/07/2013 10:58:38 MDT Print View

This is sounds like fun! Add me to the list please. I already have a few items to add.

I think it'd also be fun to add an interactive map where we can drop pins. I'm in eastern Washington.

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc) - M
Former Ohioan In! on 08/07/2013 11:26:23 MDT Print View

I'm in. I have quite a few things I can contribute as I just moved to Baltimore and unearthed quite a bit of unused gear.

William Roddey
(DraicKin) - F

Locale: Southeast
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 11:53:27 MDT Print View

I'm in.

I have quite a few things to add to the box.

I am in South Carolina.

Edited by DraicKin on 08/07/2013 14:59:39 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 11:54:35 MDT Print View

Guess I should add that I'm in Kansas.

Adam

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Ohioan Here! on 08/07/2013 12:51:18 MDT Print View

Package is headed out today to Adam Littell. Adam - looks like you have plenty of BPLers to pick from for its next destination.

Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Hiker box on 08/07/2013 13:21:00 MDT Print View

I have a few things to add. Still think this is a great idea.
In Arkansas, but do I ever miss Colorado.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Yep I'm in on 08/07/2013 13:55:46 MDT Print View

"OOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains"

I have stuff just begging for a fun box ride.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
I've got stuff on 08/07/2013 14:47:42 MDT Print View

I have some stuff to contribute. Put me on the list if the box desires to go west to Colorado.

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Christmas on 08/07/2013 15:53:36 MDT Print View

I told Mark, it feels like Christmas! I'll hopefully remove some things, definitely add some things and send it on to Greg Rozanc in Baltimore, since it will save a little bit in shipping. After that I guess it's up to him. Greg, PM me your address and we'll keep it moving quickly!

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Box Received on 08/08/2013 14:49:00 MDT Print View

Got the box today. Lots of neat things there, but in the "spirit of the box" I only grabbed the things I was most interested in. I got several things I was getting ready to order, like some small fire starters and mini bags. I also grabbed some large velcro straps, a pack towel and a very interesting pliers/knife carabiner. I've added a bunch of new things and I'll send it out tomorrow. Thanks for kicking this off, Mark.my stuff