OK, so I have never seen a hiker box since most of the trails I am on aren't long trails and thus no thru-hikers and re-supplies. Sounds kind of fun and it gave me an idea along the PIF sharing. It also happens that I am in a 'purge' mood at the moment and there is plenty of items laying around that someone might get some use out of.
So here's the plan -- I am going to put together a 'travelling hiker/PIF box' and ship it to another BPLer. They then get the excitement of checking out its contents and swapping some for other stuff out of their gear closet that they no longer want/use. Pack it up and send it to the next BPLer... Fun, right?
Some suggested guidelines (dare I say rules) --
1. The person receiving the box is welcome to pillage as much as they like as long as they put some of their unused stuff back in (good judgment on like value taken/replaced here would be appreciated).
2. Since shipping is involved, the person sending on to the next BPLer can suggest and pick a recipient based on how far they are willing to ship the box (or if they just want to focus it in a specific area). Hopefully, the goal is that it travels around pretty well.
3. If you are requesting to be a recipient, please keep the box moving as quickly as you are able.
4. As a recipient, please post what you 'found/claimed' out of the box so that everyone can enjoy your fortune. I think it will be also interesting to see what type of stuff interests different people.
5. Keep the mystery (i.e. don't spoil the surprise) by NOT listing the contents of the box that you haven't claimed.
I am in Ohio and since Ohioans typically will not locally experience a hiker box, I will send the first box to an Ohio BPLer.
Any takers? We'll use the first come, first served method unless Sender chooses otherwise for personal reasons.
Adding the reservation and tracking spreadsheet thanks to Jeff M. -- Tracking Spreadsheet