New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 07:40:37 MDT Print View

OK, so I have never seen a hiker box since most of the trails I am on aren't long trails and thus no thru-hikers and re-supplies. Sounds kind of fun and it gave me an idea along the PIF sharing. It also happens that I am in a 'purge' mood at the moment and there is plenty of items laying around that someone might get some use out of.

So here's the plan -- I am going to put together a 'travelling hiker/PIF box' and ship it to another BPLer. They then get the excitement of checking out its contents and swapping some for other stuff out of their gear closet that they no longer want/use. Pack it up and send it to the next BPLer... Fun, right?

Some suggested guidelines (dare I say rules) --

1. The person receiving the box is welcome to pillage as much as they like as long as they put some of their unused stuff back in (good judgment on like value taken/replaced here would be appreciated).
2. Since shipping is involved, the person sending on to the next BPLer can suggest and pick a recipient based on how far they are willing to ship the box (or if they just want to focus it in a specific area). Hopefully, the goal is that it travels around pretty well.
3. If you are requesting to be a recipient, please keep the box moving as quickly as you are able.
4. As a recipient, please post what you 'found/claimed' out of the box so that everyone can enjoy your fortune. I think it will be also interesting to see what type of stuff interests different people.
5. Keep the mystery (i.e. don't spoil the surprise) by NOT listing the contents of the box that you haven't claimed.

I am in Ohio and since Ohioans typically will not locally experience a hiker box, I will send the first box to an Ohio BPLer.

Any takers? We'll use the first come, first served method unless Sender chooses otherwise for personal reasons.

Adding the reservation and tracking spreadsheet thanks to Jeff M. -- Tracking Spreadsheet

Edited by tinkrtoy on 08/29/2013 06:26:17 MDT.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Traveling Hiker Box on 08/07/2013 07:52:12 MDT Print View

This is a great idea! Once I am back at school I would love to participate, I have a few things that I could contribute.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 08:32:10 MDT Print View

I'd liketo get in on this. I've got a few items I've been meaning to PIF but haven't taken the time to post them.

I seem to recall something like this a few years back, maybe it was over at TLB though. Regardless it sounds like a lot of fun!

Adam

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 08:46:18 MDT Print View

Iowan kinda rhymes with Ohioan could that count. I wanna play and we don't see hiker boxes here either.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 09:17:57 MDT Print View

A little teaser - still waiting for an Ohioan, but I am sure it will make it around to Iowa and any one else interested (at least I hope so). Ready to ship...1st_hiker_box

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
awesome! on 08/07/2013 09:25:00 MDT Print View

I gotta dig through my closet but I am sure I will find gear to PIF. kind of reminds of geocaching.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: awesome! on 08/07/2013 09:45:00 MDT Print View

Actually, I remember hearing about something similar when I was more into geocaching some years back (2,000+ finds! - probably not much by standards now). Glad to see some excitement around here.

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Locale: Ohio
Ohioan Here! on 08/07/2013 09:45:08 MDT Print View

I'm in. I've done a few PIFs on both ends, and it's a great way to try out some stuff for those of us who don't get to hang out at REI. I just finished up a major project at work and promised my son another hiking trip now. Be glad to pass it along. I'm south of you, and also miss out on some of the spectacular hikes out west, but I also don't worry about a bear eating me, so I suppose they're always trade offs...

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
pif box on 08/07/2013 10:49:00 MDT Print View

I'm in.
Minneapolis, MN!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Gear box on 08/07/2013 10:55:46 MDT Print View

Fantastic idea! Good for you for doing this.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: pif box on 08/07/2013 10:58:38 MDT Print View

This is sounds like fun! Add me to the list please. I already have a few items to add.

I think it'd also be fun to add an interactive map where we can drop pins. I'm in eastern Washington.

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc) - M
Former Ohioan In! on 08/07/2013 11:26:23 MDT Print View

I'm in. I have quite a few things I can contribute as I just moved to Baltimore and unearthed quite a bit of unused gear.

William Roddey
(DraicKin) - F

Locale: Southeast
New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 11:53:27 MDT Print View

I'm in.

I have quite a few things to add to the box.

I am in South Carolina.

Edited by DraicKin on 08/07/2013 14:59:39 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 08/07/2013 11:54:35 MDT Print View

Guess I should add that I'm in Kansas.

Adam

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Ohioan Here! on 08/07/2013 12:51:18 MDT Print View

Package is headed out today to Adam Littell. Adam - looks like you have plenty of BPLers to pick from for its next destination.

Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Hiker box on 08/07/2013 13:21:00 MDT Print View

I have a few things to add. Still think this is a great idea.
In Arkansas, but do I ever miss Colorado.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Yep I'm in on 08/07/2013 13:55:46 MDT Print View

"OOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains"

I have stuff just begging for a fun box ride.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
I've got stuff on 08/07/2013 14:47:42 MDT Print View

I have some stuff to contribute. Put me on the list if the box desires to go west to Colorado.

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Christmas on 08/07/2013 15:53:36 MDT Print View

I told Mark, it feels like Christmas! I'll hopefully remove some things, definitely add some things and send it on to Greg Rozanc in Baltimore, since it will save a little bit in shipping. After that I guess it's up to him. Greg, PM me your address and we'll keep it moving quickly!

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

Box Received on 08/08/2013 14:49:00 MDT Print View

Got the box today. Lots of neat things there, but in the "spirit of the box" I only grabbed the things I was most interested in. I got several things I was getting ready to order, like some small fire starters and mini bags. I also grabbed some large velcro straps, a pack towel and a very interesting pliers/knife carabiner. I've added a bunch of new things and I'll send it out tomorrow. Thanks for kicking this off, Mark.my stuff

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
western loop on 08/08/2013 14:52:27 MDT Print View

put me on the list for when the box makes it out west. I'm in Phoenix.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
western loop on 08/08/2013 14:59:48 MDT Print View

You can add me to this list. In Arizona.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Locale: Southern Oregon
I'm in on 08/08/2013 16:07:30 MDT Print View

Please add me to the list, I'm in Oregon, and have some things collecting dust.

Tom Holbrook
(Zandar) - MLife

Locale: Central Coast of California
PIF Box on 08/09/2013 09:35:32 MDT Print View

I am in.... would love to participate.

Z.

Rodney Mruk
(rodney_mruk) - M

Locale: Northeast Oregon
PIF Box on 08/09/2013 17:52:32 MDT Print View

This is a fabulous idea. I'm in NE Oregon and have a whole bunch of things that I have been holding on to which others might like to have. So, I am in.

Now, if those east of the Mississippi do not want to share with us Westerners, maybe we need to start another box. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Otherwise, I'll start a second box if the interest continues to build.

Rodney

John C
(jcinaz)

Locale: Phoenix AZ
Southwest Loop on 08/09/2013 18:03:08 MDT Print View

I would like to be contacted when the box is in the Phoenix area. Could even meet others in area and split shipping to next state/region.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Southwest Loop on 08/09/2013 19:53:26 MDT Print View

Great to see so much support and as much as I hope this one makes it to everyone interested, there is no reason to wait -- to echo Rodney, start your own! Everyone here undoubtedly has a bunch of miscellaneous pieces parts and gear we've tried and abandoned. Heck, start two or three boxes moving (I've seen some of those gear closet pictures in other posts :P). Maybe we can get a new forum for PIF Hiker Boxes so each can be its own thread...

Ryan Litwiller
(ryanlitwiller) - F

Locale: Michigan
Michigan on 08/09/2013 21:46:00 MDT Print View

I am in central michigan and would love to join

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
CA on 08/10/2013 11:37:00 MDT Print View

I'm in socal and would love to as well. Just thinking, maybe some type of shared google doc might be good to keep track of everyone interested? You can remove your name once you've received it? That way we don't have to go digging through the thread.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Doc on 08/10/2013 14:35:18 MDT Print View

Great idea Jeff.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Michigan on 08/10/2013 15:05:29 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I live not far from you, maybe we would split the postage if it was to come to Michigan.

Ryan Litwiller
(ryanlitwiller) - F

Re: Re: Michigan on 08/10/2013 18:55:18 MDT Print View

Yes I am game....where you at in MI?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Michigan on 08/10/2013 20:08:29 MDT Print View

Just a bit outside Bay city, by the sounds of it will probaly be a while before its Michigan.

Edited by stephenm on 08/10/2013 20:21:34 MDT.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Sounds great! on 08/10/2013 20:57:10 MDT Print View

I have lots of cool stuff that is lying idle but is wanting to go into someone's pack. I'm in Eastern Washington state.

Greg Williams
(Gwilli) - M

Locale: Tri-cities,WA
Sign me up! on 08/10/2013 21:01:32 MDT Print View

Put me on the list for destinations out west. I'm in South Eastern WA, and would love to participate. Totally dig the spirit of the PIF box! Terrific idea.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Spreadsheet on 08/10/2013 21:48:08 MDT Print View

Alright, I had some free time tonight so took it on myself to create a Google Docs Spreadsheet. Let me know what you all think. Anyone can edit it. I figure it's an easy way to keep track of who is interested in receiving a box and their location. I also set it up so that we can keep track of each box made. The idea would be that whoever sends or receives the box would update the "current location" of that box. Let me know what you all think. The spreadsheet is here. I have no problem trashing it if the general consensus is that it is not needed, but I thought it might help.

Edited by Catalyst on 08/10/2013 21:48:58 MDT.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Spredsheet on 08/11/2013 08:34:26 MDT Print View

So I added my name to doc as an interested participant. Thx Jeff.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
everyone added on 08/11/2013 10:23:49 MDT Print View

Alright, I've added everyone I found in the thread to the spreadsheet. Looks like we have enough people out west we could start another box if someone has enough things and wouldn't mind starting it off. As far as I can tell the first box is in OH and headed to MD soon.

Adam Littell
(arlittell)

on it's way on 08/11/2013 13:34:59 MDT Print View

had a little address confusion, but this box goes out to Gary Rozanc in Virginia in the morning.

Allen Currano
(acurrano) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
Signed up! on 08/11/2013 19:09:44 MDT Print View

Just added myself to the list for West coast...I'm in CA and have a few choice items I can add when it gets to me!
Allen

alex hansen
(holden425)
name added on 08/12/2013 08:57:01 MDT Print View

My name is added to the list. Maybe you should edit original post to link to list

Kathleen Prince-Sayward
(kps143) - F - MLife

Locale: Eastern
Re: Michigan on 08/12/2013 11:11:49 MDT Print View

Another Michigander when it comes around this way!

Great idea I have plenty I need to downsize!

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Travelling Hiker Box on 08/12/2013 12:22:03 MDT Print View

In for the Western Box!

I don't see anyone volunteering to start a Western Box?

If someone has started already, say so - otherwise I'll get one together and start tomorrow!

Edited by grampa on 08/12/2013 12:24:17 MDT.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: name added on 08/12/2013 13:11:35 MDT Print View

@Alex: thanks for the suggestion. Link has been added to OP

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Western Box Start on 08/12/2013 16:31:22 MDT Print View

Okay, I've put together a starting box for the Western States, and will be sending it out tomorrow. It looks like Jeff M is closest to me, so I'll send it off to him.

The box has some old stuff, some new stuff, some stuff stuff, and some funny stuff - enjoy!

Edited by grampa on 08/12/2013 16:43:34 MDT.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Western Box Start on 08/12/2013 18:57:55 MDT Print View

Cool  tu

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

I'm in Washington on 08/12/2013 19:05:09 MDT Print View

If there are going to be two boxes why don't we use the Mississippi River as a dividing line?

I have some stuff ready to add to the box.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Western Box Start on 08/12/2013 19:12:04 MDT Print View

I'd like to get in the Western Box loop.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

@ Ken Thompson on 08/12/2013 21:04:42 MDT Print View

Hey Ken

Go to the first post of this thread. At the bottom of the post is a link that will take you to the list. Add your name, etc., then click in an empty box somewhere, and you should be on the list.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 08/12/2013 21:19:27 MDT Print View

Done and thanks!

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Western Travelling Hiker Box on 08/13/2013 12:40:52 MDT Print View

Western Travelling Hiker Box is on it's way to Jeff M!

Rodney Mruk
(rodney_mruk) - M

Locale: Northeast Oregon
Western States PIF box on 08/13/2013 14:05:55 MDT Print View

Stephen,

Thanks for starting the box for the western states. My family has a wedding this week so I wouldn't have been able to get to it until next week or so. I look forward to receiving the box and adding to it when it gets around to me.

The spreadsheet idea is a great one and will be helpful. I am not sure I understand exactly how to use it though. Perhaps a few basic instructions would be helpful to others like me who have never heard of a goggle spreadsheet.

Also, how do we retrieve and post mailing addresses? Are we sending personal messages through BPL?

Good hiking,
Rodney M

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: Western States PIF box on 08/13/2013 15:18:58 MDT Print View

Hey Rodney

I PMed Jeff for his address. I think that's what the East coast folks did too, since nothing of that sort appeared on this thread. Someone suggested taking your name off the list once you've received the box.

As for instructions on using Google spreadsheets, I've just learned by trial and error - lots of errors! Maybe someone knows of a web page that has instructions?

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Western States PIF box on 08/13/2013 15:20:57 MDT Print View

Hey Rodney. The spreadsheet works very similar to an excel spreadsheet. Basically, click the link on the first page to open it up in your web browser. Then click in a box under the name column and type your name. Do the same for the username and state columns. Hitting control + s will save the data you enter. Thus far, I think people have just been using personal messages to retrieve mailing addresses.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Great western box! on 08/14/2013 18:28:25 MDT Print View

The western box arrived today. Steve did a great job putting it together! I've added some things and am still digging around for a little more and then I'll get it sent off again.

box

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Nice! on 08/14/2013 19:08:53 MDT Print View

Looking good, west of the Mississippi!

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc) - M
Eastern Box Location on 08/15/2013 11:55:50 MDT Print View

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know the eastern box just arrived at my in-laws today. I will be picking the box up on Saturday and will send out on Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th.

Thanks,
Gary

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Locale: white mountains
Eastern box on 08/15/2013 12:01:34 MDT Print View

If I could join the fun for the eastern box that would make me happy :)

Elias Pena
(3crows)
west states on 08/15/2013 12:36:46 MDT Print View

I'd like to participate in western states box.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: west states on 08/15/2013 15:10:25 MDT Print View

Victor and Elias, at the end of the first post is a link to a spreadsheet. Add your name, forum name, and state where you live and you'll be good to go.

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Western Box on 08/16/2013 13:37:22 MDT Print View

Just got the western box today from Jeff. I'll add some stuff tonight and send it back out. Might need a bigger box soon, this thing is stuffed!

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
I'm in for western! on 08/16/2013 15:32:57 MDT Print View

I'll join the fun for western box. Have some things to contribute to the mystery :)

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc) - M
Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/20/2013 16:41:38 MDT Print View

The eastern box is on it's way to DraicKin in South Carolina. I took a pair of gloves and two tyvek ditty bags. I'll post pictures when time permits!

William Roddey
(DraicKin) - F

Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/22/2013 13:56:02 MDT Print View

This is so much fun.

Received the box today.

This box is packed full.

I took a clear plastic bag/pack liner?, an all weather note book, a pair Columbia zip off pants, and a Sansa 4 gb mp3 player.

The box is now on it's way to stephenm in Michigan.

Edited by DraicKin on 08/23/2013 14:01:36 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/26/2013 14:59:55 MDT Print View

I got the Eastern Box today (thanks Bill)

I had a look and not sure yet what I am going to take out, but will do so tonight. I am unable to edit the Spreadsheet but have contacted Ryan
To arrange getting the box to him.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re:Eastern Box On It's Way on 08/26/2013 15:49:05 MDT Print View

Box is going out to Ryan tomorrow, will update what I take out tonight :-)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Expanding the concept on 08/26/2013 16:10:53 MDT Print View

So instead of the geo-cachers moving around to swap goodies, the goodies travel around?

I like the idea. A lot. I like how it brings a group of distant people together. It's one of the reasons I PIF a lot of stuff on BPL. It might work even better in a smaller setting (to eliminate shipping charges) - a local Sierra Club chapter, scout troop, or MeetUp group. Pull a random number from a hat and be the one to take the box home after that meeting (but no repeats within a year).

For myself, gifting something is so much gratifying than bothering to sell it and (as a child of a child of the depression,) I can't even consider throwing something useable away. I can imagine people becoming very generous and a group soon being able to outfit new members totally from the goodie bag.

Maybe this could be become a component of BPL GGG events. A Chinese auction of sorts.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Donde es el Western Box? on 08/26/2013 19:24:50 MDT Print View

Anyone know the location of the Western Box? It's been off the grid for 10 days. I have some items to add to it so don't forget Washington.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 08/27/2013 18:27:56 MDT Print View

Has Lou sent it back out?

Allen Currano
(acurrano) - MLife

Fox in Socks in Box on Rocks on 08/27/2013 21:02:23 MDT Print View

Lou PM'ed me the other day asking for my address, so I assume it is on its way to me now!

I'll try to get it turned around quickly once it gets here...
Allen

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

sending it out tomorrow on 08/27/2013 21:29:57 MDT Print View

I'll have it out tomorrow :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Expanding the concept on 08/27/2013 21:38:40 MDT Print View

"Maybe this could be become a component of BPL GGG events. A Chinese auction of sorts."

We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

PIF Gear Swap at GGG on 08/27/2013 22:47:05 MDT Print View

"We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange."

I'd like that! I have a few items that I think would be useful to someone, but they have little or no monetary value. Other than that, everything I would like to pass on is too heavy to interest the BPL audience. :(

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Western Box on 08/28/2013 10:12:05 MDT Print View

Western Box is on it's way to Northern California to Allen C. I had to change boxes out as the old one was overstuffed.

Can we add cities, counties, or locations other than states on the spreadsheet? I think it would be great to pass it around to those who are close by to save on shipping costs.

Edited by lugee on 08/28/2013 10:14:21 MDT.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Cities/counties on 08/28/2013 10:16:29 MDT Print View

Good idea Lou.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

City and Zip added on 08/28/2013 10:49:23 MDT Print View

Added City and Zip column to the spreadsheet.

Let's also consider using the box as a meet up opportunity. Should the box make its way to Arizona, it would be cool to meet up with John C and Chad. That will cut down on shipping costs and do some face-to-face community building.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Sweet idea on 08/28/2013 11:10:03 MDT Print View

I'd like to get in! Just cleaned my gear room got plenty of stuff I could load that up with.
Beam me up east coast

Edited by Wolfie2nd on 08/29/2013 03:21:20 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

RE: City and Zip added on 08/28/2013 11:33:11 MDT Print View

Sounds good Terrance, I would be more than happy to meet up with you guys. Heck, let's get a trip planned.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Eastern Box sent on on 08/28/2013 12:09:32 MDT Print View

Folks,

I could not decide what to take out of it so will be sending the box on untouched.

I was going to add a high value item but it would not fit in the box haves listed a seperate PIF for it.

Cheers,

Stephen :-)

Edited by stephenm on 08/28/2013 20:18:11 MDT.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: PIF Gear Swap at GGG on 08/28/2013 15:00:52 MDT Print View

Like Rowan I hesitated to join despite thinking this a fabulous idea. But I think I have enough good small stuff that might not be worth shipping individually, so now I'm in.

""We've been doing a live Gear Swap as part of it always. But A PIF section would be easy to arrange."

I'd like that! I have a few items that I think would be useful to someone, but they have little or no monetary value. Other than that, everything I would like to pass on is too heavy to interest the BPL audience. :("

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Locale: Central Valley
Please add me to the West box on 08/28/2013 19:36:02 MDT Print View

I sit here in my second office and dream of travel to far off lands. I think of people with the same dreams. I want to be part of this dream and hopefully bless people with something they don't expect, kindness. You give me hope. Thank you and I added my name to the list.

Edited by emsjames on 08/29/2013 21:41:49 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Eastern Box delivered on 08/31/2013 09:38:53 MDT Print View

Just checked and the Eastern Box was delivered to Ryan Litwiller yesterday.

Ryan Litwiller
(ryanlitwiller) - F

Got it on 09/03/2013 05:48:18 MDT Print View

Sorry everybody I just got back from a 4 day hike in Shenandoah. The PIF box arrived while I was gone. It is going to be a bit of a hectic day as its my son's first day of school but I will try to get the box out to Kathleen tomorrow.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Thought I was in there for eastren states on 09/03/2013 06:03:20 MDT Print View

Ahhhh figured it out

Edited by Wolfie2nd on 09/03/2013 06:16:44 MDT.

Allen Currano
(acurrano) - MLife

Box on its way to Alex on 09/04/2013 07:56:32 MDT Print View

Shipping today via priority mail. I took some Dirty Girl Gaiters with green flames on them - Totally Rad and definitely helped in my ascent of Mount Williamson this weekend! Put a few choice items in and there is a bunch of cool stuff to choose from...enjoy!

alex hansen
(holden425)
Re: Box on its way to Alex on 09/04/2013 09:41:00 MDT Print View

So excited, cant wait!

alex hansen
(holden425)
finally on 09/09/2013 11:50:45 MDT Print View

after the stupid usps failed to leave the package for me, i had to wait the ENTIRE WEEKEND before i could pick up the box. that was like murder! just got it home, opened it. so many goodies! i will contact the next person on the list soon.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

West coast love on 09/10/2013 05:41:15 MDT Print View

I would love to throw my hat in the ring for the west coast box. I have some stuff that I could add to this box.

Alex

Tim Hafner
(yucaipatim) - M

west coaster on 09/10/2013 17:54:51 MDT Print View

Added my name to the list for the west coast box. I've got some things to add to it...

Tim

Edited by yucaipatim on 09/10/2013 18:06:25 MDT.

Ian Rae
(iancrae) - F

Locale: North Cascades
Northwest! on 09/10/2013 22:01:22 MDT Print View

Im in Bellingham, WA and have a ton of great (lightweight) stuff I'd love to add. Add me to the list!

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

RE: Northwest on 09/10/2013 22:24:53 MDT Print View

Ian...see the tracking sheet link at the top of the thread. Follow the link and add yourself to the spreadsheet. It looks like you'll be the 7th WA resident. Perhaps, you guys have enough critical mass to justify a meet up / gear exchange or someone starting a box in your neck of the woods.

Jason Robichaud
(j4design_build) - MLife
Share the love on 09/10/2013 23:53:13 MDT Print View

excited to partake. I have a number of fun and useful items to provide.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box Update on 09/16/2013 20:23:51 MDT Print View

Alex, Who's next?

Mary R
(pietimer) - MLife
I'm in on 09/16/2013 20:55:08 MDT Print View

Great idea! I added my name to the list. I've got a bunch of small stuff I've been thinking about PIFing.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
How ? on 09/16/2013 20:57:43 MDT Print View

So how does this move along the list?

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
West Coast List Add Request on 09/16/2013 22:01:36 MDT Print View

Could not see a "list" to add to, but I am in San Francisco and would like to add a few things to the box if its convenient. Email or PM me for info (or to send me in the right direction.. Thanks.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: West Coast List Add Request on 09/16/2013 23:32:19 MDT Print View

Hey Brian,

I added you to the spreadsheet. It's linked on the first post but you can see it here as well.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Eastern box on 09/17/2013 03:35:48 MDT Print View

Who's got the eastern box???

Chris Plentus
(XFitter) - F

Locale: Greater Philadelphia
Eastern box on 09/17/2013 06:35:08 MDT Print View

I'd like to join in on the eastern box if possible. Just let me know what I need to do

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Eastern box on 09/17/2013 06:50:42 MDT Print View

Chris, click on the link in the post 2 posts above yours, or the link in the 1st post of the thread, and then put your name down in the list under Eastern States.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
western box on 09/17/2013 09:49:38 MDT Print View

Added myself to the western list!

alex hansen
(holden425)
update, western box on 09/19/2013 19:25:47 MDT Print View

Hey, just giving an update on status of the western states box.
Ive had it for well over a week and a half now. And you all deserve to know whats up.
I came into some financial troubles and cant afford even the 12$ or so to ship the box until probably next friday (pay day)
Tom holbrook is its next recipient and i have the box packaged up and addressed ready to go for him soon as i can afford the postage.
I found a few really cool things i could use in the box and replaced them with quiet a few things to help people with their own myog projects.
I removed: an awesome Pair of running shorts, a polycro ground sheet, a sheet of 1443 tyvek, a tiny compass and 50 ft of paracord.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: update, western box on 09/19/2013 19:58:36 MDT Print View

PM sent.

Alexander(below) No I meant Alex above.

Edited by kthompson on 09/21/2013 13:07:35 MDT.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

.. on 09/20/2013 10:57:07 MDT Print View

Hey Ken, were you talking to me? "Alex, who's next?"

Alex

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Re: Re: West Coast List Add Request on 09/21/2013 19:59:49 MDT Print View

Jeff M. Thanks for the add. Will check out the page now.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: Eastern box on 09/23/2013 20:20:50 MDT Print View

I just got the Eastern box. I took a Noah's tarp and some guylines. I sure wasn't expecting that! It actually worked out pretty well because my wife saw one at the last big trail maintenance get-together we attended and mentioned that she'd like one. When I pulled it out of its stuff sack and told my wife what it us she pretty much made the decision for me! I had to scrounge up a couple extra things to add to the box to make up for it. There's still some pretty great stuff left too!

Waiting on an address then I'll send it along. Thanks for starting this Mark, it was great fun waiting for the box and finally getting to open it.

Adam

alex hansen
(holden425)
western box continues! on 09/24/2013 11:16:15 MDT Print View

Thanls to ken thompson and another who wished to remain anonymous, the western box is continuing to tom Holbrook.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: Re: Eastern box on 09/25/2013 07:32:47 MDT Print View

The eastern box is on its way to Mark Ries.

Adam

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Re: Re: Eastern box on 09/26/2013 08:26:26 MDT Print View

Is there a south/central box? I'm in the dfw, tx region.

matt diedrich
(deeder)

Locale: Middle TN
Tn on 09/26/2013 20:04:01 MDT Print View

I have a few items I can add to the collection plate. I'm in. Nashville,TN.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

eastern box on 09/26/2013 21:23:58 MDT Print View

Received today and sent PM to Nate in Mn. as he looked next in line not sure what I might keep but will post if I do. I will add something either way.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Added my name to the spreadsheet on 09/26/2013 22:36:35 MDT Print View

Looking forward to getting and giving some stuff :)

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest
I'm in! on 09/26/2013 22:47:29 MDT Print View

This sounds awesome, I can't wait to contribute. Nice work!

Tom Holbrook
(Zandar) - MLife

New type of PIF -- the Travelilng Hiker Box" on 09/28/2013 16:45:25 MDT Print View

Hello all of the West Coast Boxers... I have finished my pilferage, and added a few of my treats..!

I looked at the spreadsheet and I am confused.

Will the next person in line send me a PM...with your address ,etc.

Thanks,

Tom Holbrook

PS. This is thoroughly a grand time!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelilng Hiker Box" on 09/28/2013 18:05:29 MDT Print View

Edited by kthompson on 09/28/2013 18:07:32 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelilng Hiker Box" on 09/28/2013 18:25:36 MDT Print View

Hey Tom,
Not sure but maybe you look at the list and contact the person that is next?

Tom Holbrook
(Zandar) - MLife

"New type of PIF -- the Traveling Hiker Box" on 09/28/2013 19:39:24 MDT Print View

Update on the West Coast box:

Heading to Ken Thompson on Monday.

I kept, the MSR simmerlite stove, and the sil nylon rain skirt.

I enjoyed spreading everything out on the dinning room table, and just looking, touching, and evaluating each "treat" -- too fun!

I have to say... found a few things that made me chuckle (note attached to one particular item).

Thought, the spreadsheet is not in order of how the box has traveled. Should we adjust this to maintain some sense of order, and see it circle back?

This is a wonderful thing...

Z.

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Order on 09/28/2013 19:50:24 MDT Print View

Tom,

I think most people are going off the "nearest" person. Making shipping cheaper.

That rain skirt is awesome, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out what it was.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Order on 09/28/2013 20:39:04 MDT Print View

Sending the box to the closest person could mean that some never get it. Seems like following the list would work better.

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Locale: asheville nc
Be on 09/29/2013 07:04:22 MDT Print View

Any update on the east coast box?

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: Be on 09/29/2013 07:56:36 MDT Print View

Nate didn't respond to my PM's I just sent a message to ..... Reggie Garrett come on down your the next contestant on the PIF traveling box

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Hiker box on 09/29/2013 13:20:01 MDT Print View

Sending PM to Mark! I have lots of good stuff to add.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Hiker box on 09/29/2013 19:59:17 MDT Print View

Mic check, is this thing on? I'm smack dab in the middle as a TX resident. Which list do I sign up for? Both?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Texas - East or West? on 09/29/2013 20:14:17 MDT Print View

Do you consider Texas to be part of the eastern USA or the west? Historically, I think it's generally been thought of as part of the west. Louis L'Amour certainly thought so. And when I briefly lived in Dallas (born and raised in California), and commented about Texas being "eastern", I surely riled a few good ol' boys!

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Texas - East or West? on 09/29/2013 22:04:30 MDT Print View

West.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 10/01/2013 10:10:33 MDT Print View

The box is on the way to Reggie Garrett. I kept not one but two micro drop bottles WOO HOO. Actually there was still some nice stuff just nothing that I could or would use. BPL member Doug Thomas and I added as much as I could fit in the box.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 10/02/2013 20:52:47 MDT Print View

I love getting packages

hb

hb2

Going to need a bigger box. I've got quite a bit to add.

hb3

Getting the chance to rid myself of a few things is really appreciated. Karma points don't hurt either.

Still some more to add.

Edited by kthompson on 10/02/2013 22:08:30 MDT.

Tom Holbrook
(Zandar) - MLife

New type of PIF -- the Travelilng Hiker Box" on 10/02/2013 23:03:17 MDT Print View

Hey Ken...

Changed my mind... send it back !

Looks like you are enjoying this too much ...

Z.

marcia trussell
(wldspice) - F

Hiking box on 10/03/2013 00:37:31 MDT Print View

Please include me on the list!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Box has arrived. on 10/03/2013 19:19:54 MDT Print View

I've received the eastern box from Mr. Ries. I will post again once I pillage and pilfer.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Eastern Box on 10/03/2013 20:10:42 MDT Print View

Kevin Schneringer, Jason Cravens, Nathan Washburn, or Matt Diedrich...the first of you guys to reply gets the Eastern Box next. My goal is to have it ready to ship out Saturday. I haven't decided what I am taking out of the box yet, but I will be adding some good stuff to it. There's some really neat stuff here.

Let the race begin.....

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Me on 10/03/2013 20:12:33 MDT Print View

Well Reggie hope I was first! Been waiting on my turn , cant wait to dig into the PIF BOX

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

PIF hiker box on 10/03/2013 20:56:04 MDT Print View

Kevin is first!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

PIF hiker box on 10/03/2013 21:04:40 MDT Print View

I have completed my pilfering and pillaging. I pulled a GPS, couple of cups, and a hiking cookbook. Since this is PIF and I believe in giving more than I receive, I put some really valuable items in it.

You guys have fun continuing to pass this around. It's heading to Kevin in OK next.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: PIF hiker box on 10/03/2013 23:20:54 MDT Print View

I think i missed it, but how does one get on 'the' list? (eastern to be more specific).

matt diedrich
(deeder)

Eastern box. on 10/04/2013 08:58:10 MDT Print View

I will add to it next if that's cool.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: Re: PIF hiker box on 10/04/2013 10:04:26 MDT Print View

@ Marcia and Justin: Here's the link to the spreadsheet, which works much like an Excel spreadsheet. Add your name, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkvOhpIEPh9VdEJyWkJvZzVIX3ZnRG5Rd1ZuOHdycVE#gid=0

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: Re: PIF hiker box on 10/04/2013 10:07:27 MDT Print View

Hey folks;

When you receive the box, be sure to highlight your name on the spreadsheet so others know you've already gotten it. Thanks!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Eastern PIF hiker box on 10/05/2013 06:54:07 MDT Print View

The eastern box is on the way to Kevin Schneringer. I turned it as fast as I could. This box is stuffed.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: PIF hiker box on 10/05/2013 09:22:38 MDT Print View

Admittedly I'm a tech luddite. I keep my gear list still in a notebook as I still haven't figured out these spreadsheet things. How does one highlight one's self?

Big props to Mark our OP for this great idea.

Edited by kthompson on 10/05/2013 09:23:39 MDT.

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Box on 10/05/2013 10:08:06 MDT Print View

Woohoo! Looks like thing are getting interesting! It seems the box is growing, Impatiently waiting in nc!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Eastern heavy PIF box on 10/05/2013 10:17:43 MDT Print View

The box weighed 8 lb 2 oz when it left my place. Seems like people are adding more than they are taking. That's really cool.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
East coast on 10/05/2013 10:25:12 MDT Print View

Nice looking forward to the east coast box

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

"New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!" on 10/05/2013 10:52:28 MDT Print View

OOOhhh! I cant wait!
Looks like I get to upsize the box, Reggie says its about to bust a gut.

Fantastic how the PIF thing has exploded.

By the way I have a few 4T size kids pants/tops I can add if anyone has a child that size?
Let me know if you do I might just PIF direct to you rather than clutter the box.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Spreadsheet highlight on 10/05/2013 17:30:14 MDT Print View

To highlight your name in the spreadsheet, left click the square with your first name, then without releasing, drag right to the zip code box, release. There is now a heavy blue line around your first name box and a lighter line around your entire info boxes.

On the top of the sheet, third line, are a whole bunch of odd little figures. Just to the right of middle is a tipped bucket with a drop falling out (black and white figure). Left click this, then left click your preferred color.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Spreadsheet highlight on 10/05/2013 17:58:09 MDT Print View

Thanks! Of course it would be so intuitive,lol.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: re: Re: PIF hiker box on 10/05/2013 23:01:17 MDT Print View

Thank you for the info Stephen.

Elias Pena
(3crows)
Removed from list on 10/05/2013 23:58:19 MDT Print View

Removed myself from the west list,space 23.moving again and not able to participate.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Got it today on 10/07/2013 16:17:59 MDT Print View

I have already torn into this thing! Found a neck gaiter and exofficio bandana and some silk ultralite weight gloves for the wife to run in.

I will have this back out tomorrow. Still has some nice stuff but it definitely needs a new infusion of choice goodies. So I will post my additions in the morning.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Eastern Box Update on 10/07/2013 19:08:47 MDT Print View

Well I took and I gave. I really waited excitedly to get into the box. But you know the best and most exciting part is going thru my stuff and giving some away! So Fun.

Box will be heading for Tennessee tomorrow morning.

Edited by Slammer on 10/08/2013 07:26:13 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: Eastern Box Update on 10/07/2013 19:37:20 MDT Print View

Kevin we are supposed to list what we took not what we put in.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Eastern Box on 10/07/2013 19:40:51 MDT Print View

Oh ok, I did list removed items in earlier post above but I saw some people list items add too. I added confusion free of charge ;)

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

So much fun on 10/07/2013 20:32:33 MDT Print View

Patiently waiting for the western box to head North. :)

matt diedrich
(deeder)

Pif on 10/08/2013 06:03:58 MDT Print View

Can't wait to see the look on my wife's face when she sees "another box of stuff came in" hahaha.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Re pif on 10/08/2013 06:10:39 MDT Print View

Yeah isn't that something always having to explain yourself when another package is sitting at the door.?.?.?

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Package on 10/08/2013 06:31:23 MDT Print View

I've found the key is to not let them see what's inside and say it's for "Christmas"

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Nice on 10/08/2013 07:02:59 MDT Print View

^ ^ perfect

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Eastern Box Update on 10/08/2013 07:31:06 MDT Print View

Well I removed my pic and will try and "follow the rules" next time ;)

My wife told me when I got home last night that "I had a Box" with a bit of the what the heck have you bought now tone.
But the wife is getting much better at guessing the size to price ratio.
Since purchasing some Cuben items this year she realized that smaller packages could mean bigger $$

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Eastern Box Update on 10/08/2013 11:44:03 MDT Print View

There are no 'rules' just my suggestions to keep it mysterious and fun :) I am glad you guys are having a good time with this - it really makes me happy to see all of the good will being passed around.

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
box on 10/08/2013 14:44:17 MDT Print View

got my PM last night the box is heading my way. Looking forward to it. :)

Jason

matt diedrich
(deeder)

Eastcoast box on 10/15/2013 18:33:43 MDT Print View

Looks like it showed up at my work today. Didn't think i'd be getting it next. Playing with all the stuffs now. adding tonight, sending out thursday.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Whadya get, whadya get? on 10/15/2013 21:24:17 MDT Print View

Whadya pull outa the box?

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

who's next? on 10/22/2013 19:24:56 MDT Print View

I received the east coast box today! I was super excited to find it completely full of good stuff. I, of course, emptied it out and went through everything.

I removed a multi-tool, a water-proof drysack, and a homemade alcohol stove.

I added 5 things back and the box will barely close! We will need a new bigger box soon.

I cannot tell who is next by the spreadsheet, so the first east coaster to PM their address is next!

Jason

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Pm on 10/22/2013 19:26:30 MDT Print View

Pm sent!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Western Box on 10/22/2013 19:28:23 MDT Print View

Is on it's way to Alex in Seattle. I took out a giant wet wipe, an Outsack, and added in a bunch of stuff. Kat took some gloves and I don't know what else and added in even more stuff. It weighed over 8 pounds when shipped. Have fun!

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
East Coast on 10/22/2013 19:28:24 MDT Print View

Let's get this ball rolling!! Sweet I'm getting closer!!

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Brock on 10/22/2013 19:42:01 MDT Print View

Brock was first, on its way from TN to NC. Will ship tomorrow.

Jason

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Sweet on 10/22/2013 19:43:21 MDT Print View

Schweeeet! I'll get er turned around quickly!

Edited by gravesbrock on 10/22/2013 19:44:16 MDT.

Nathan Washburn
(nwashburn)

Nashville get together on 10/23/2013 08:48:44 MDT Print View

I had e-mailed Matt about getting those of us around Nashville together without having to ship the box around. I guess we forfeited that idea? Just hate to see the box leave the area and then have to come back (I live north of Nashville). Oh well, enjoy the box Brock, I'd like to have it soon!

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Box on 10/28/2013 19:50:05 MDT Print View

I got the east coast box and pulled out a mesh camo cinch bag and my girlfriend was thrilled to find a pair of women's sun loud sunglasses! I added my own goodys, tapped it back up and the first person to post a message on the board and say me next will get it! And then pm me your address and I ll ship tomorrow! Thanks

Josiah Vandervelde
(eternalnoob) - F - M

Locale: Florida
Me next? on 10/28/2013 20:16:37 MDT Print View

I'm interested. I have some stuff to add for sure.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
me also on 10/28/2013 20:32:48 MDT Print View

I'm in if things don't work out with Josiah

Ben

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Me next? on 10/28/2013 20:35:19 MDT Print View

Aren't you just going down the list? Would keep it from being the mess the western box list is in. Ben is next on the list. Josiah is not even on the list. Dude. Add yourself.

Edited by kthompson on 10/28/2013 20:39:33 MDT.

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Box on 10/28/2013 21:03:52 MDT Print View

The rules state I can send it to whoever I want but, Josiah I'm sorry bud your not on the list. The box will be going to Ben tomorrow

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Box on 10/28/2013 21:18:37 MDT Print View

How do I highlight my name showing I got it? Thanks

Josiah Vandervelde
(eternalnoob) - F - M

Locale: Florida
List on 10/28/2013 21:32:41 MDT Print View

Oops jumped the gun! My bad

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

List on 10/28/2013 21:37:09 MDT Print View

No worries just throw your name up there and it will get around too ya

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Locale: South Eastern Washington State
A suggestion for the West Coast Box on 10/29/2013 07:58:23 MDT Print View

Alex D finds out where P.P. is from and sends it to the next person near Seattle Jamey Tisdale of Duvall, WA ,Andy Nam of Mill Creek and Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA and you P.P. wherever you are. There are three of us willing to meet up in the Tri-Cities Greg Williams , Ian Bloom and I ( Ammon Bruce) then I will get the box to Rodney M of Hermiston, OR. Then clean out Oregon with Jen K of Eugene and Mike Prihiroff of Eagle Point. So, hopefully by December it will be in the South. Do what you like, this is only a suggestion. Happy Trails!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: A suggestion for the West Coast Box on 10/29/2013 08:08:50 MDT Print View

+1 to what Ammon just said. We can have a mini E. WA/OR GGG while we're at it!

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

A suggestion for the West Coast Box on 10/29/2013 09:44:12 MDT Print View

Those near Seattle should do a Meet up also. Go to a public place like REI and meet your fellow enthusiast. Buy, Sell and Trade gear. It's a Live Gear Swap with no Pay Pal. Save yourselves 3 %!! Free shipping!!

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

East box on 10/29/2013 14:05:11 MDT Print View

East coast box in the mail!

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

" and you P.P. wherever you are. " on 10/29/2013 18:41:30 MDT Print View

I think I'm going to have to bow out for this round.
I am currently traveling back and forth between several states and the box might be delayed for a long period if sent to me.

I'll try and catch it the next go 'round.

I'll save my gear goodies. :-)

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box! on 10/30/2013 08:28:11 MDT Print View

Just added my name to the Western list. Lots of fun things to add!

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Eastern Box needs a home on 11/05/2013 07:00:38 MST Print View

I have the Eastern box. I got a flashlight, lineloc 3 and a AAA/AA battery holder.

I am having trouble getting in touch with several people on the list so shoot me a PM if you are on the list and want the box.

Thanks

Ben

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Robert V on 11/05/2013 18:58:47 MST Print View

Robert V was the winner.

Waiting on an address and I will get it shipped.

Ben

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Traveling Hiker Box on 11/05/2013 20:09:40 MST Print View

My address is on its way. I have lots of unique stuff to add. Maybe there will be something I can use!

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

It is getting close I am so excited on 11/05/2013 21:22:28 MST Print View

I forgot to check for awhile. I am close to the top of the West.

Alex Darr
(Alex90) - F
Western Hiker Box ready to go on 11/07/2013 11:37:42 MST Print View

Hi all, I have packed up the Western box with a bunch of goodies, I removed an OR Bug Net and the Golite daypack.
No idea what's going on with the order on that list, so if someone in the Seattle area wants to meet me, that's my preference. otherwise next address in WA that gets PMed to me will get it next.

Cheers!

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Re: Western Hiker Box ready to go on 11/07/2013 14:38:18 MST Print View

Alex D,
Next person near Seattle Jamey Tisdale of Duvall, WA ,Andy Nam of Mill Creek and Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA. There are three of us willing to meet up in the Tri-Cities Greg Williams , Ian Bloom and I ( Ammon Bruce) then I will get the box to Rodney M of Hermiston, OR. Then clean out Oregon with Jen K of Eugene and Mike Prihiroff of Eagle Point. So, hopefully by December it will be in the South. Do what you like, this is only a suggestion. Happy Trails!

Edited by AmmonBruce on 11/07/2013 14:39:44 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Western box on 11/07/2013 15:15:29 MST Print View

Ammon...I agree with the plan. If you guys can circulate the box to everyone in the Pacific Northwest in the next few weeks. That would be great. Once that is done, if the box could travel down to Arizona, we can coordinate a meet up down here. Several of us here in the valley of the sun (btw...current temp 83 and sunny) were early entries on the list and are eager to participate.

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
NYC area on 11/07/2013 21:06:23 MST Print View

New member here, this is an awesome idea. I have tons of things to add.

Do the NYC area folks on the list want to meet up, make our swaps and share the shipping?

tt quattro
(ttquattro) - F
NYC! on 11/07/2013 21:36:06 MST Print View

Absolutely interested in a NYC meetup.

Jen Klaudinyi
(Jenklaud) - F

Locale: PacNW
Yay! on 11/07/2013 22:21:01 MST Print View

Pnw then south plan sounds good. I'll start gathering my contributions!

Edited by Jenklaud on 11/07/2013 22:24:19 MST.

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
NYC on 11/07/2013 23:18:17 MST Print View

Great idea on the NYC share. I'm in

Tyler Cosma
(cosma19)
So Cool! on 11/08/2013 07:38:16 MST Print View

Such a cool idea! Another Ohioan here, just added my name to the spreadsheet :)

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Western Box on 11/08/2013 07:47:32 MST Print View

Alex - sent a PM. Jamey & I are pretty close to each other. I'm happy to shuttle it around from the city to the Valley and ship over the Cascades if needed. Not sure I'd pull much, but I definitely have stuff to add!

-Curt

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Re: Western Box on 11/09/2013 11:25:53 MST Print View

Don't for get Bellingham and Issaquah. Those two need to get a hold of Alex and Curt.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box on 11/20/2013 21:45:54 MST Print View

Hmmmmm I have mail!!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box on 11/20/2013 21:59:32 MST Print View

First person on the spreadsheet in SC to send me a message will be getting a shipment. If you are close enough to drop it off, even better!!! It is not a light box!!!!!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western box on 11/20/2013 23:38:22 MST Print View

Come on western box, come visit Oregon! Happy holidays everyone.

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Re: Eastern Box on 11/21/2013 00:00:59 MST Print View

Edited by Ryanjrourke on 11/22/2013 01:19:35 MST.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Eastern box on 11/21/2013 18:27:06 MST Print View

Looks like im inline to get it soon. Please pm me if you can send it over to new hampshire

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Western box on 11/27/2013 08:31:38 MST Print View

Help!!! All the good Karma is fading away from the Western box. It has been in Seattle for A month!!
I believe the box should be going to Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA next. Tad or whoever has the box remember: Everyday the western PIF box doesn't move, the Terrorist WIN! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hint hint : giving

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Seattle on 11/27/2013 09:21:09 MST Print View

I also live in/near Seattle (mill creek), and am on the western list. I've got some PIF items I've got sitting around just itching to be put in the box.
I'd be happy to take it next before it goes to Bellingham since I'm closer (I also work at UW Seattle) then send it on up to Bellingham.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Western box on 11/27/2013 09:23:21 MST Print View

"Everyday the western PIF box doesn't move, the Terrorist WIN! Happy Thanksgiving!!!"

Tell 'em Ammon!

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Don't let the terrorist win. on 11/27/2013 10:37:38 MST Print View

Keep the good karma flowing! Let's get the Western box moving. I can't wait to expose it to some sunshine and warmth.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Looking to the North on 12/05/2013 20:14:19 MST Print View

Where oh where has the little box gone? Do we need to start a California box?

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
James Reilly on 12/05/2013 20:35:37 MST Print View

Hey I'm James Reilly. Is there room for tw0:)

Greg Cullison
(gcullison) - F - M
I'm in... on 12/05/2013 20:36:41 MST Print View

I just added myself to the spreadsheet--another Ohio hiker.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

West Coast Box: Get on with it!!!! on 12/05/2013 21:15:29 MST Print View

Tad Englund do you still have the Western Box? PIF means: Pass It Forward. The spirit of this box is to get it,look, take and replenish. Then send it to the next person or meet up. The western box has become "Shipless In Seattle". I do not know the reason why no one is saying anything and why they can't keep it going. I do know they can post an update. If you can get it,but can't ship it then don't take it. There are many that can and we are waiting on you. Whoever you are?!?!?!?! Dear Shipless in Seattle please.......

Edited by AmmonBruce on 12/05/2013 22:20:58 MST.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Agreed on 12/05/2013 21:18:41 MST Print View

^^^ well said.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: West Coast Box: Get on with it!!!! on 12/05/2013 21:27:24 MST Print View

It's nice having Ammon here in the Tri. He is our local enforcer!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box Update on 12/05/2013 21:37:45 MST Print View

I grabbed a few things out of "The Box", put a few new things in, and shipped the box to Nathan Washburn in TN. Eastern box is moving around!!

Chris Calpin
(Adrnlnjnke)

Locale: N.E.
East Coast Here on 12/05/2013 23:36:54 MST Print View

I'm in Pennsylvania. I've got a few things to contribute if the box can make it my way. Can some one shoot it up the AT to me?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Re: West Coast Box: Get on with it!!!! on 12/06/2013 00:03:14 MST Print View

Hey, sorry everyone. Yes I have the box! I have a ton of excuses but they are all just that- excuses.
Is there anyone in Seattle who wants to meet up to get the box? If not I'll mail it to the next on the list.

PM me- I am back in town and can check my email.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

dang, bad timing on 12/06/2013 01:17:28 MST Print View

I'm leaving for the weekend and won't be in town! Darn.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Ship it to Bellingham Ian Rea on 12/06/2013 22:33:19 MST Print View

I gave And E Tad's info and told him to message him two weeks Ago. So, mail it to And E or Bellingham Ian Rae. Waiting for another weekend to meet up is long past due.

Benji Hons
(BenjiH) - M
Cali on 12/07/2013 21:23:14 MST Print View

Im in Monterey, Ca I have some stuff to contribute to the west!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

??? on 12/07/2013 21:26:22 MST Print View

I think the western box is MIA...

Nathan Washburn
(nwashburn)

Eastern Box on the move on 12/10/2013 15:35:03 MST Print View

The Eastern Box is on the move to the Northeast! Victor is set to receive it soon. I took out a headnet and small stuff sack with a remnant of silnylon, I think. Looking forward to trying a small MYOG project.
PIF Reception

Brad Morgan
(Bradtmorgan) - F

Locale: Western NC
Stoked about the spirit of the PIF hiker box on 12/10/2013 16:55:45 MST Print View

Excited about the mojo of the Eastern Box. Please send it to the Asheville, NC region so can add to it and send it on its way!

Ryan Friend
(OzarkHiker) - F

Locale: Oklahoma
In the Oklahoma Area on 12/10/2013 17:16:03 MST Print View

I would love to get in on this. I have several items that I am going to be receiving for Christmas that will be duplicates. I also have a bunch of stuff that I have never used that I am just sitting on with nothing to do. Are we allowing very lightly used items as well? I have a few things that I have used a handful of times, but never use any more, like an MSR Titan pot. Let me know.

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Eastern Box on 12/10/2013 19:16:21 MST Print View

Nathan, is sending it all the way up to NH a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease? Logistically it doesn't make any sense to ship it past several states that have people waiting for it. No offense Victor. Just my two cents.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Shipping the PIF box on 12/10/2013 21:55:02 MST Print View

Not easy to get people to respond when going down the list of names, from my experience. I ended up sending it from SC to TN because none of the SC guys responded. You do what you can!!

Nathan Washburn
(nwashburn)

Shipping Discretion on 12/10/2013 22:36:50 MST Print View

Actually my approach was based on order of sign up. Theoretically people could continue to add their names to the spreadsheet for the next several months. If many of them are from the South and the box continues to travel only to nearby states, those who signed up early but happen to live elsewhere would not get the box for a long time. So I just started at the top and began e-mailing people. Nate and Evan declined for now, and Nick didn't respond. Then I e-mailed Victor and Alan a day apart and only Victor has responded, so I sent it to him.

Communication on this has been tough. I had agreed with a guy in my city to meet up when the box came to him, and the box came and went without him ever contacting me. It's a great little idea though, and I like the spirit of it.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Western PIF Alive! on 12/13/2013 07:06:08 MST Print View

The Western Traveling PIF Box is on the move again! Got it a couple days ago after Tad put some fun new stuff in there. Took 4 things out and added 12-14 little items and got it boxed up in about 24 hours. There are 3 guys on the list on the other side of the Cascades, so it's on its way over there to hopefully get passed around pretty quickly with no shipping time or expense. The box is definitely in need of being expanded or folks need to take some of the bigger stuff out. It's STUFFED! Probably about a $20 per ship proposition at this point for future recipients' information.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

PIF on 12/13/2013 09:44:32 MST Print View

I just signed up for the Eastern box - still unclear exactly how it's supposed to get to me, but I've got a lot of stuff to contribute. Love this idea and hope I can be a part of it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Western PIF Alive! on 12/13/2013 09:56:53 MST Print View

"The box is definitely in need of being expanded or folks need to take some of the bigger stuff out."

We'll check it out when it gets here but would a five gallon bucket work or are the items too bulky even for that?

Ryan Friend
(OzarkHiker) - F

Locale: Oklahoma
I just signed up for both. on 12/13/2013 10:09:34 MST Print View

Is that against the rules? I am in OK and the boxes have both gone to states that border mine. If I get them both around the same time, I can take out some of the bigger stuff in one and put it in another. OR I can take out some of both and create a "Central States" box? Just a thought.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: I just signed up for both. on 12/13/2013 19:34:13 MST Print View

Love checking in on this project and I am so glad you guys are enjoying it.

First, no need to stress over 'rules' since there really aren't any, just suggestions to keep this project rolling...

As for the size of the growing box (either East or West), maybe split it into 2 and send it to 2 different recipients... That could cut the growing shipping cost down after the initial split and get the new boxes moving faster. Again, just a suggestion. If you want to ship it back to me I would be happy to split it up and the new boxes off again if that helps.

Cheers!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Box on 12/13/2013 19:36:47 MST Print View

Great idea^^^

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Western PIF on 12/14/2013 09:03:49 MST Print View

It would probably fill a 5 gallon bucket half way if packed thoughtfully. It can easily just be put into a bigger cardboard box, but at some point the size & cost to ship gets to be a bit silly. What the Western box really needs is for someone just starting out or someone with kids to get a hold of it and pull a bunch. All 4 items I grabbed are for my 11 year old. Perfect! Of course, like most appear to be doing, I put in 3x what I took out.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western PIF on 12/14/2013 09:45:25 MST Print View

Someone also could split it into two boxes and let it cover twice the ground. Just a thought. I too thought that somewhere along it's travels it could almost kit someone out. I took three things out and put like twelve things in. Seems like that's the norm. Gosh, we're a generous lot ;)

Terry Sparks
(Firebug) - M

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast
Add me to the West sign up list on 12/14/2013 16:34:39 MST Print View

I have a few things that are would be very nice to give to another hiker and at the same time, would enjoy a surprise or to from the box.
Add me to the list for the West Coast box.

Thank you,

Terry Sparks
Carpinteria, CA

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

This is cool! on 12/14/2013 17:03:20 MST Print View

This is very cool. I would like to sign up.

George Ramsdell
Snohomish WA

Z V
(Overshot03) - F

Locale: Maine / NY
How do I get in? on 12/14/2013 21:34:28 MST Print View

I have a couple of items to add in, if there is any way to get the box. I'm in NY, and could turn it around pretty fast.

Always appreciated the hiker boxes thru-hiking!
Thx

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: How do I get in? on 12/14/2013 21:37:32 MST Print View

See link at bottom of the first post. Add yourself to the spreadsheet.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Box in the Tri Cities on 12/17/2013 09:06:15 MST Print View

Box just arrived on my doorstep. I'll get in touch with the local BPLers and hopefully we'll have this box moving on before the weekend.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Box in the Tri Cities on 12/20/2013 20:10:07 MST Print View

Just met up with John, Ammon, and Greg to rummage through the box and for rehydration purposes. There were some interesting items in the box and a couple which were mildly humorous. I ended up taking an item that Ammon brought but as it's a thank you gift for another BPL member, I'll hold off on the pictures. I recently purchased a Whisperlite off of gear swap so I liberated the gasket kit out of the box; thanks to whoever threw that in there.

Nice to meet some local BPLers and I hope we can meet up for a hike one of these days.

Many thanks to the OP for setting this up. This was a lot of fun and hope my contributions will serve someone well down the road.

Happy trails all.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/20/2013 20:31:31 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Western box...where next? on 12/20/2013 20:28:38 MST Print View

I'm glad the western box is finally moving. Where is it headed next? I'm sure the box would appreciate some sunshine after getting stuck in the rainy northwest. How about sending it to Arizona?

Greg Williams
(Gwilli) - M

Locale: Tri-cities,WA
Western box on 12/20/2013 22:13:03 MST Print View

I had a great time meeting fellow BPLers Ian, John and Ammon today at a local watering hole to go through the western PIF box and consume a few malted beverages. There was some interesting and hilarious items in there. I took a book about how to _____ in the woods and a couple trash compactor bags. As far as I know, Ammon is driving the box down to Hermiston, Oregon this weekend. The box was already packed, and the four tricity guys have added some impressive items to it. In fact not everything fit and stuff was taking up space in the back seat of Ammon's car next to the box. Thanks for everyone who contributed and I hope the stuff I added goes to a good home to be used out on the trail.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

WESTERN BOX on 12/20/2013 23:11:21 MST Print View

If I could throw my two cents in... I think if we continue to just pass the box around to people in you area so you don't have to pay shipping... #1 It is not very fair for people like myself who signed up months ago to watch people who signed up a week or two ago get the box before me because of their geographical location. Not only is it frustrating, but I have to hold onto all of these items that I want to toss in the box. #2 If you think $20 is too much money to pay to ship good karma to your fellow BPLers and have access to free stuff IMO you are missing the point of this whole thing.

OK, I'm done with my rant now.
Alex

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: WESTERN BOX on 12/21/2013 02:37:56 MST Print View

(BPL at 130am. Why oh why do I eat spicy food before going to bed?)

Hi Alexander,

I'm not sure who that was directed at but just wanted to mention that Greg and I were on the list ahead of you as is the person who's getting the box next. Ammon is not only driving the box to the next person on his own dime, but threw in some really nice gear to the cause, arguably among the nicest items in there. I appreciate the frustration but at least the box is moving now, three more names are off the list in less than a week, and you have some nice gear heading southbound your way.

Take care and happy trails.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Western box on 12/21/2013 05:35:41 MST Print View

Alex...I share some of your frustration. If you notice, the top 3 names on the Western box are in AZ. It has been hard to watch the box head from SoCal to the PNW. Hopefully, after the trip down to Oregon, it will come this way.

Ian (and others who have seen the box), please update the tracking spreadsheet so that it remains accurate.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

Ian on 12/21/2013 06:54:45 MST Print View

wasn't directing it at anybody in particular. Yes, I have seen the list and know who is in front of who. I guess it was more of a venting session than a jab @ anyone. Glad to hear that the box is on the move again. Hopefully it will make it back down to the southwest and we can get it in the hands of the people towards the top of the list like TAG and the like.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Keep your two cents on 12/21/2013 10:24:13 MST Print View

Next person near Seattle Jamey Tisdale of Duvall, WA ,Andy Nam of Mill Creek and Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA. There are three of us willing to meet up in the Tri-Cities Greg Williams , Ian Bloom and I ( Ammon Bruce) then I will get the box to Rodney M of Hermiston, OR. Then clean out Oregon with Jen K of Eugene and Mike Prihiroff of Eagle Point. So, hopefully by December it will be in the South. Do what you like, this is only a suggestion. Happy Trails!

That is what I posted way back on Page 10. On the Western box there has been about 12 people that have received it. Thanks to us we will have 5 out of that 12 people done in a week!!! I have worked for months on it with Pm people and posting. I have tries to get to the people in the front of the list this Whole time. Look at my posts. We had a great meet up and now we have new Hiking buddies. Thanks Western Box!!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Keep your two cents on 12/21/2013 10:26:01 MST Print View

Word up!

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Happy on 12/21/2013 10:27:38 MST Print View

I'm just happy it has resurfaced and is moving again. Great job WA.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Western Box; keep it going tips. on 12/21/2013 10:57:42 MST Print View

We are all Adults here and you can't tell other Adults what to do. Suggestion: What people can do to put more good Karma back in the box is the following:

1) Get a hold of the person that is next on the list or who you want to meet up with and get their info; before you get the box.

2) Have all you PIF items ready and money set aside for shipping. $20 should do.

3) Meet ups are Great; lots of new friends and stories.

4)If your a Sleepless in Seattle (very busy) or going on Vacation; then Pass like P.P. did on the post.

5) 2 day turn arounds; ship it within 2 days. Item in motion; stays in motion. Items in rest; tends to stay at rest!!

But how do I get a hold of the next person!?!?
Google it!! Take their name Ammon Bruce and search Ammon Bruce Backpacking Light and my name and form post pop up at the top of the Google search. If the name is more common John Anderson; then take their user name and search that. Send them a PM and off the Box goes to the next person.

Every time the Western Box moves; an Angel gets its wings!!!!

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
I encourage the meet up on 12/21/2013 15:00:23 MST Print View

I was not on the western hiking box list and I attended the meet up. I had a good time talking gear and trails. I did take something out of the meet up a face to go with names and a better sense of community in my community. I will add to the box with out taking anything I can hold in my hands away. I will now include two american 1 cent coins (my two cents) and see it on its merry way to beautiful Oregon. I hope the spirt of the box continues on and more local meet ups happen. Thirty dollars in shipping saved here and hundreds of dollars in gear added for the next folks on the list.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Western PIF Box on 12/21/2013 17:16:48 MST Print View

I mentioned the shipping price in my recent posts here, but it certainly wasn't to complain. I'm pretty confident most people are putting in more gear value than they're taking out - money isn't the issue for sure. My bigger concern with shipping was/is TIME. That's why I sent it over to the Tri-Cities. I'd had an exchange with Ian before, knew he was responsive, and knew there were a few people over there. With ONE ship, we hit at least 3 over here on the West side and 5-6 it seems on the East side. 6-7 of those had the box in hand and gone in less than a week total. That's impossible with shipping between each person.

Cheers for efficiency!

p.s. Thought that Whisperlite kit would be there until the end of time. Shocked it only lasted until the next person :)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Western PIF Box on 12/21/2013 22:20:34 MST Print View

I should receive my stove early next week. To my knowledge, the stove is coming with a kit but the timing was so perfect that I took it as a sign that this stove I and will melt a lot of snow together and had to grab it.

I really have to give John a +1. The stuff inside the box was really fun to rummage through. There is some really nice/useful gear leaving the Tri Cities with what we left for the next person and was added by our group. The real value of this box (for me) was watching it take a life of its own and being able to connect with other BPL members either through PM and in our case, to meet up and talk about our past and future adventures.

Edit: Well Curt, not trying to be Johnny Come Lately with my mountain goat avatar but I took a thrashing this week for my GIFs and had to find something quick to keep the pitchforks and torches at bay. Mine is one of my favorites from last summer from the Upper Enchantments. Met this guy at the top of Aasgard Pass.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/21/2013 22:25:23 MST.

Z V
(Overshot03) - F

Locale: Maine / NY
Sign me up on 12/22/2013 05:32:27 MST Print View

I’ll be j=honest, I did not read all the posts on this topic. I would like to get in on the hiker box. I am in NY, and have several things to add to it. Is there a link to the routing, shipping details, etc? Thanks

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

my picks from the Western PIF Box on 12/22/2013 09:36:47 MST Print View

My two cents......

Well there are a ton little treasure, but I liked the Yukon Outfitters hammock. Thanks to you know who you are, great gift. Then we have fire stater discs. A locking knife with a face with tongue stinging out,on the white box; one of my personal favorite items. An MSR aluminum bowl. Also a Lowe Alpine M pack cover. Spork, spoon, bottle and Matches finishes my loot. Great items to find. Thank you all that know who you are!!!

Hector Luevano
(Whatthehector) - F
I'm in! on 12/22/2013 11:01:56 MST Print View

I'm new here, but I love this idea! Big thumbs up for seeing something like this in the community. I have some sweet stuff collecting dust I'd love to throw in there. I'm sure someone will love it ;). Sign me up! I'm in San Diego, CA.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western Box is moving on 12/30/2013 20:36:45 MST Print View

Well I got the western box today, and what a joy looking through everyone's little donations. This box is pretty big, heavy, stuffed to the gills. I took a couple little things and replaced with twice as many things. It's easy to see how this box is getting so big and full. Anywho, I have it boxed back up and will try to get it shipped off to AZ tomorrow. If someone would please highlight my name on the list, I can't seem to get the highlight to work. Thank you to all involved!
Mike

Jen Klaudinyi
(Jenklaud) - F

or on 12/31/2013 01:05:27 MST Print View

wait- I'm still in or- long on the list and waiting for the western box!

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Locale: San Diego
Re: Western box on 12/31/2013 10:39:34 MST Print View

I am going to start another Western box. I am in Orange County California, and can send it anywhere...it sounds like AZ might be a good start??

I will have it packed up and ready to ship Jan 2 2014. As in next year. Or 48 hrs.

What are everyone's suggestions on how to select the next recipient? Should we start another list? Split it in two? Keep this one south of the Central Valley and west of TX? Open to suggestions...

Tommy

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western Boxes on 12/31/2013 13:53:11 MST Print View

My feeling from the begining is that the box should have been sent to the next person on the list regardless of where that person is located (unless 2 or 3 people close to each other wanted to meet up and do it just cause I like that idea). Anyway TAG in AZ was the 1st post on page 2 and the 1st western poster)and has been active throughout this whole thread, thats why I was planning on sending the box to him next in hopes that from this point forward it just follows the list. If a 2nd box gets started and TAG in AZ is ok with the new box going to him instead of the old box, then I will send my box to Jen in Eugene. But if for any reason TAG wants the old box I have, thats where its going. I love idea of the 2nd box. I will contact TAG and get his thoughts.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

2nd box on 12/31/2013 14:03:14 MST Print View

I'd also suggest using a differnt highted color on the spreadsheet for Box #2 to help keep things straight. Thank you to whomever highted the list for me.

Jen Klaudinyi
(Jenklaud) - F

plan on 12/31/2013 14:17:33 MST Print View

sorry to press the point, but I thought we've been going with Ammon's suggestion from pg 10 and posted again above:

Next person near Seattle Jamey Tisdale of Duvall, WA ,Andy Nam of Mill Creek and Ian Rae of Bellingham, WA. There are three of us willing to meet up in the Tri-Cities Greg Williams , Ian Bloom and I ( Ammon Bruce) then I will get the box to Rodney M of Hermiston, OR. Then clean out Oregon with Jen K of Eugene and Mike Prihiroff of Eagle Point. So, hopefully by December it will be in the South.

I thought we'd almost made it... but it seems like you're ready to skip me.

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Re: Western Boxes on 01/01/2014 16:21:13 MST Print View

I will send it to whomever you do not, that sounds great. Just PM me and let me know.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Eastern Box on 01/01/2014 22:02:40 MST Print View

I have not seen any posts about the Eastern box for a while. Is it still on the move?
Cheers.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western box on 01/02/2014 11:16:30 MST Print View

Hey Tommy, I have PM'd you. Please ship ur box to TAG in AZ. I have sent mine to Jen here in OR.

mike dangler
(newyorkteg) - F

Locale: adirondack park
new york? on 01/02/2014 12:55:11 MST Print View

this box ever come to NY? in the Adirondack Park, have some stuff i would like to donate

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Re: Western box on 01/04/2014 20:33:47 MST Print View

Got it! It shipped to TAG yesterday...should be there Monday or Tuesday.

Joe Holmes
(joeaholmes) - M

Locale: Northwest PA
Count me in. on 01/04/2014 21:52:03 MST Print View

This sounds like a great ideo. I would be happy do participate!

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Eastern Box on 01/08/2014 06:44:35 MST Print View

The last update on the Eastern box was mid December. It was sent to Victor Larivee in New Hampshire.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Eastern box on 01/08/2014 10:51:46 MST Print View

The Eastern box was recently sent to Mary Rodriguez

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
Me too me too! on 01/08/2014 11:27:41 MST Print View

I want on the list! I have lots of stuff to trade. Do I just add my name to the sheet?

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Western box 2 in Phoenix on 01/08/2014 14:51:12 MST Print View

I received the 2nd Western box here in Phoenix yesterday (Thanks again Tommy). If anyone in Phoenix would like to get together this weekend to share the box and add to it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll add my PIF items to the the box and pass it along to Chad in Prescott by Monday.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Re: Western box 2 in Phoenix on 01/08/2014 20:18:20 MST Print View

I'm thinking CO next after you AZ peeps are finished!

mass panini
(ripwaverly) - F

Locale: oregon
moving on west box on 01/14/2014 15:49:32 MST Print View

picked up the west box from jen in eugene, OR.

i grabbed: DIY hammock (for the oregon winter hammockforums raffle) , nalgene flask

i've added:
WELL THATS THE SURPRISE.

shipping out tomorrow

Edited by ripwaverly on 01/20/2014 12:05:52 MST.

Tyson Hazard
(tysonhazard) - M
Added myself to list on 01/17/2014 09:25:56 MST Print View

Looking forward to contributing, probably sometime in 2015 I'd say by the list!

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: moving on west box on 01/25/2014 17:11:24 MST Print View

Bump.. any news?

Jen Schwartz
(jenjetcity) - M

Locale: Upper Left
Western box on 01/25/2014 18:20:15 MST Print View

Hello all,

The Western box is in Seattle. I just got it, and will be shipping it out on Monday with a few high value items added. I'm inclined to send it to someone high up on the list who's been waiting a long time, and I'm open to suggestions as to the most fair way to proceed.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Re: Western box on 01/25/2014 18:32:34 MST Print View

Jen,
I would see if P.P. is available, because the last time he passed was months ago. Because he was going to be out of town. He may be back in The Seattle area again. Maybe a meet up would be cool. Greg Allen in CO is next on the list after P.P. Allen Currano 3rd
Cheers!!

Edited by AmmonBruce on 01/25/2014 18:37:43 MST.

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Western box Jokes on 01/25/2014 19:12:48 MST Print View

If you want to send a banana;cut it into slices and by the time it gets to the next person on the list. Boom!!! You got dehydrated banana chips. Oh!!

The Western box is so mysteriously slow. Its like a womens special gift; it only shows up once a month.

Why it takes someone a month to ship a box ,s the 9th Wonder of the World.

What does the western box and bigfoot have in common? They are hardly ever seen and what's inside both stinks.

I think the cure for the western box is some Activia to get it moving at a daily basis.

CHEER UP folks, it will get to you soon enough and there are two of them now.

Cheers,
Ammon

Your Big and Tall review: if it got to me ;it will get to you!!

Edited by AmmonBruce on 01/25/2014 21:03:43 MST.

Jen Schwartz
(jenjetcity) - M

Locale: Upper Left
Western box update - January 29, 2014 on 01/29/2014 19:42:16 MST Print View

The Western Box is en route to the Bay Area. My hiking buddy and I took several things, and replaced with lots of high value and fun items. We helped ourselves to an MSR water filter, fleece jacket, walkie-talkies, sun/rain hat, a few very small containers, Frog Togs, and a pair of looong merino blend socks. Our contributions far exceeded in monetary value what we took out.

The box currently weighs 21+ lbs and cost $31 to ship Seattle > Bay Area (the previous shipper paid $18 to get it to me from Corvallis, OR). I had to really strap it together with packing tape; it may be time for a new box, unless a bunch of big stuff is removed. We added as much as we possibly could, at least 20 items!

The sheer number of items and cubic volume of gear required creative re-packing/nesting/filling all dead space. So be sure to open EVERYTHING up and look inside if you don't want to miss anything. I carefully packed items into every nook and cranny I could find.

Jen

Edited by jenjetcity on 01/29/2014 19:49:38 MST.

Gary Rozanc
(grozanc) - M
Any news on the Eastern Box? on 01/29/2014 20:00:51 MST Print View

Just wanted to see what happened to the eastern box. I was an early contributor and it was fun to see who took what and follow the news from the box. I hope it hasn't disappeared!

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Re: Any news on the Eastern Box? on 01/29/2014 23:39:58 MST Print View

I just got a PM from Mary a day or two ago asking for my address. I'm sure it will be en route to MN shortly if it hasn't already been shipped. I have a bit of cabin fever going on right now so I can't wait to check it out!

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

So Close on 01/30/2014 07:27:23 MST Print View

I keep tracking the location of the Western Box. On the Spreadsheet - I am wondering if it would be good to add the date the person signed up and/or the date they received the box?

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 01/30/2014 07:40:13 MST Print View

Not sure why my name was marked with green as having received a box. I haven't seen or heard anything concerning either western box. Last I knew, Tag had #2 and was going to send it my way. From there, I had plans to send it on to Sedona. Nothing yet.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Email addresses on 01/30/2014 08:03:33 MST Print View

Maybe we should put our emails in the note section of the spreadsheet. I know it is tough to try to contact people on here to find someone to send the box to!!!! The PM system on here leaves a lot to be desired. Just a suggestion!!!!

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Any news on the Eastern Box? on 02/04/2014 11:58:36 MST Print View

The Eastern box is in MN! I'm going to reach out to the other Minnesotans on the list to try to get it through more people in the time that it's here. I'll update as I have more news.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
NY on 02/04/2014 12:20:11 MST Print View

Looks like after Jonathon Chin of MN..its coming to me in NY???

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Locale: Northwoods
Box in MN. on 02/04/2014 17:37:42 MST Print View

Yesssssss! I got an email from Nick VB today stating he has the box in the Twin Cities area and asking to meet up soon so we can keep the ball rolling (or box hiking).

I'm digging through my stash now trying to figure out what you folks may appreciate :P

Nick VanBurkleo
(EnvyBee) - F - MLife

On to the next. on 02/16/2014 13:15:02 MST Print View

I opted not to take anything out of the box this time around; it contained several items that I thought would be beneficial (and one dirty mismatched pair of socks which we threw out...gross...), but nothing that I needed for me kit. I added a few things to the box and left it with Jon.

It was SO much fun to have a box full of gear show up on my doorstep and to spend a few days digging through it. This is an awesome idea and I hope the list recycles once it makes it to the last person.

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Moving on, but where to? on 02/24/2014 15:46:12 MST Print View

First, I must apologize for sleeping on the box for a week.

That said, I've got it packed up and ready to ship - just not sure exactly where to yet. I messaged several people atop the list. Nick H, and Doug W declined and I am waiting to hear back from Alan G, and Sarah K.

I did grab a few little things from the box:
- Mini "Swiss Army" style knife with scissors & tweezers. Just like the one grandpa gave me when I turned 5 :)
- Mylar emergency blanket
- Emergency rain poncho
- Waterproof matches
- Wisp toothbrushes

A few notes about the box:
There is an eclectic mix of interesting & useful things in there! However, give-and-take-as-you-please enterprise, there is inevitably going to be an accumulation low interest items. So, I propose the boxes be "culled" periodically to reduce clutter & shipping weight. Any such items "too heavy for their value to be repeatedly shipped across the country" could be posted for PIF on Gear Swap and, if unclaimed, sent to Goodwill.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Re: Moving on, but where to? on 02/24/2014 16:02:47 MST Print View

Jonathan, I totally agree that some of the stuff in the box is a waste of shipping and should be culled from the box to make room for other items.

Maybe if two people can go through it together and put the stuff up for PIF it could be more efficient.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Great Idea!!! on 02/24/2014 18:01:47 MST Print View

I thought the same thing when I looked through everything a few months ago. The problem is, one person's trash is another persons treasure. Hard to tell what should stay or go.

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
Re: Great Idea!!! on 02/24/2014 19:34:36 MST Print View

I'm not involved in the PIF box (got enough goofy stuff now) but I love the idea and what you all are doing. This may already be in place so not helpful, but I'll toss it out just in case...

On the topic of "bad things cluttering the box" and what to do about it... is there a running inventory with the box saying what's in it and HOW LONG its been there? I know you don't post it in the thread to "keep the mystery", which makes sense and it cool. But one IN the box wouldn't affect that. So if not, that could help determine if something should be removed. Could be super basic, just one line description with the date on a piece of paper. Once its been in the box for whatever rough limit makes sense (3 mths, 20 people, etc) then the person with the box at that point could either post it in this thread to see if it should stay or go, or just make the executive decision?

Edited by ohdogg79 on 02/24/2014 19:36:53 MST.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

That would work on 02/24/2014 19:47:57 MST Print View

^^ That sounds like a great solution.

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Re: Inventory on 02/27/2014 11:58:19 MST Print View

I shipped the box to Chris P yesterday. I didn't have time to create an inventory, but think that one would be helpful in keeping the box relatively light & clutter free. I also 2nd (or 3rd, etc) the idea of starting over from the top once we reach the end of the list!

Thanks to everyone who contributed! It was fun to meet up with another BPLer and go through the box!

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Boxes? on 02/28/2014 08:34:42 MST Print View

So, there were two western boxes in circulation. Anyone know where they are? I have some winter specific items I wanted to put in before the season is over.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western box on 02/28/2014 09:12:29 MST Print View

I haven't heard much from the western boxes in a while. The new one started in Ca and went to AZ. I think it was going to make the rounds there then head back to Ca? The old one was in OR, but I think it hit all of us here and moved on. Can whomever has a western boxes chime in with where it's at and where/when it heading to? Also, I was thinking maybe we should start a new thread with a link to the spreadsheet just for the west side. That way the post are all more area specific. The east side can keep this one, because they started this sweet ride, and the wild west can start a new one. Thoughts?

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Re: Western box on 03/02/2014 21:49:14 MST Print View

Hello western boxes. Where are you? I was an "early adopter" but I haven't heard or seen anything. Hellllooooo.?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ship that #*&$! Western box on 03/02/2014 21:54:38 MST Print View

This is shameful. Trying to do something nice and someone has to ruin it by being lazy and or disorganized . No excuses. Get that thing in the mail.
Mail goes out on Monday.

Look, tomorrow is Monday.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Where are you western box??? on 03/07/2014 01:44:48 MST Print View

Come on people, this is unacceptable! Who /where is the western box??? There is a bunch of people that haven't had it visit yet. Let get it going again!

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 07:49:16 MST Print View

The last mentions of both western boxes in this thread were:

TAG in AZ was going to send to Chad in Prescott on 01/08/2014 but Chad posted saying he never received it.

Jen Schwartz sent one to "Bay Area" on 01/29/2014

Perhaps Jen and TAG can chime in on where these boxes were sent...

Edited by ardavis324 on 03/07/2014 08:23:10 MST.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 08:17:04 MST Print View

No idea, I haven't received anything yet.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Re: Western boxes on 03/07/2014 13:34:38 MST Print View

>Jen Schwartz sent one to "Bay Area" on 01/29/2014

That was me. I sent it to Yuri R in San Diego. Tracking showed it arrived Feb 6th.

Edited by squark on 03/07/2014 13:38:03 MST.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

western box on 03/07/2014 13:42:58 MST Print View

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Yuri??? Have you sent the box on? How about TAG, did you send or hand the box off to anyone?

Edited by Mjprohoroff1 on 03/07/2014 13:43:48 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

western box 2 on 03/10/2014 09:49:12 MDT Print View

western box 2 is (finally) on the way to Chad B. Should be there today or tomorrow according to UPS.

Chris Plentus
(XFitter) - F

Locale: Greater Philadelphia
Re: Re: Inventory on 03/10/2014 10:15:27 MDT Print View

Got the (eastern?) box on Friday; big box with an eclectic mix as Jonathan said. I looked through it quick, but was away this weekend, so I'll get to pick out some things and add my own this coming weekend. I'll PM the next person.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: western box on 03/10/2014 17:07:08 MDT Print View

Yuri said via PM that he sent it to the "next person on the list".

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western on 03/10/2014 18:11:13 MDT Print View

So that would be Sharon J? Squark?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western on 03/10/2014 18:31:10 MDT Print View

No, Sharon already had it. Look at her post above. Are people not crossing themselves off the list after getting the box?

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Western box on 03/10/2014 19:23:04 MDT Print View

Hi all,

Here is the situation: I've received the box from Sharon, took one item out of the box (tent footprint), packed two alcohol stoves (home made), cat-hole trowel with nylon carrier (both new) and dry sack (new) and sent to the next person - Frank H. (Porker110). I've received several PMs (one from Frank - right after i sent the box) and one from Aaron (well after). I just checked today with Frank and he said the box never arrived.

Now here is the sad part - the box was sent with tracking, but i tossed the receipt a few days ago with the trash. I called USPS with my credit card information and transaction time that i pulled from the credit card statement, but without tracking they are saying they can't do anything about it. So I've messed up by tossing the receipt, it's my fault.

Here is what was in the box (from memory):
- 2 camelbacks
- 1 dog carrier/backup
- stainless steel utensils
- two books (one was "How to shit in the woods" and don't remember the second one)
- esbit stove
- alcohol stove
- pair of leather gloves
- binoculars
- pull-over or fleece
- Titanium mug with handles cut off and with a cozy
- backpack cover
- grease pot
- MSR stainless steel pot

I may have missed something, but that was most of the content.

Since it was me who sent the box and tossed receipt before verifying that it arrived to the next person, I will be putting a new box together. I don't have much gear besides what was already added to the box that was lost by USPS, so I will be going and buying new items. The silver lining is that the old box contained some items that were quite used, so the next person will be choosing from mostly new items.

I will update you all as soon as it has been put together and sent out.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/10/2014 20:28:31 MDT Print View

I received the western box #2 from TAG today. I've sent a PM to Michael Spielman in Sedona asking if he still wants the box. I'll give him a couple days to respond and if he doesn't want it or doesn't answer, I will offer it to Jason Robichaude in Utah.

PJ K
(kadowookie) - F
How do I get on the list? on 03/10/2014 21:06:02 MDT Print View

How does one get on the list?

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Sorry yuri on 03/10/2014 21:36:38 MDT Print View

I'm sorry that happened Yuri, but I'm happy things are moving again. That's a very stand-up thing ur doing. Can u make an invintory list to include in the box with the date after each item? Chad, you as well? That way we can cull the box if things accumulate that no one wants.

PJK - You can add ur name to the spreadsheet in the very 1st post (link at the bottom of post).

Edited by Mjprohoroff1 on 03/10/2014 21:37:21 MDT.

PJ K
(kadowookie) - F
Re: Sorry yuri on 03/11/2014 11:09:23 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info, I should have seen that.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/13/2014 09:17:43 MDT Print View

Well, I have made attempts to contact multiple people on the list to send the box to but no one has gotten back to me. So, first person on the western list to shoot me a PM with their mailing address will get it next.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Good on 03/13/2014 09:28:11 MDT Print View

Way to stay on top of it Chad!

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

I'm ready! on 03/13/2014 10:05:37 MDT Print View

Send it my way if no one above me on the list responds!

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Hi ALL on 03/13/2014 10:53:51 MDT Print View

I am a new forum member to BPL and have been lurking out in Googleland for quite some time. Such a great site. Now that I am here, is it possible people are not responding because posts do not generate an automatic message to their email? I posted last week on the JMT fishing thread, had NO IDEA people had responded and just happened to check and see that there were two responses. I am no technical genius here, but when I post on other forums, I am added automatically. :-) OMG, I am so retarded.... how about clicking "watch this thread".

Added my name to the list, looks like fun.

Edited by Lancelot2u on 03/13/2014 11:08:41 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Hi ALL on 03/13/2014 11:46:22 MDT Print View

nm, see you got sorted.

Edited by stephenm on 03/13/2014 11:47:40 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Western Box #2 on 03/13/2014 12:07:18 MDT Print View

Aaron Davis was the first to contact me so the box will be going to him next. I'll get it shipped out tomorrow and will update this post to confirm ship date.

Edit: Box was shipped to Aaron on 3/14/14.

Edited by CenAZwalker on 03/15/2014 16:38:21 MDT.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Western Box #2 on 03/21/2014 21:45:56 MDT Print View

Received box yesterday..will ship it out Monday.

I thought I might mention.. while some may find these items useful or may disagree with me, the box contents were a little underwhelming. Especially if you consider what it costs to ship this thing. At some point we may be just floating around a box of useless stuff. Kind of like a clearance bin that gets picked over. I think its fair to mention this. Of course if the person right before you puts a bunch of cool stuff, you might find something you like. If you maintain that its more joyful to give than receive, you'll probably enjoy having the opportunity to get it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 03/21/2014 21:54:36 MDT Print View

Aaron Would you like to guesstimate the total worth of stuff in the box? I got it early on and the box had its share of uselessness packed in at that time. I did OK with what I took out. But I know when I sent it out after meeting up with a couple others that we increased the value quite a bit.

A little forethought when adding to the box would be great. This should not be looked at as an opportunity to rid yourselves of useless crap that you can't sell on swap. Instead, think of what most others would find useful.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Re: Western Box #2 on 03/21/2014 22:04:18 MDT Print View

Hard to put a value, but at this point id say if you're receiving it, I wouldn't count on "scoring" from it. More like a way to send some gifts forward.

I should add this was western box #2 which only has made a couple stops so far. It probably will improve as its passed along.

Edited by ardavis324 on 03/21/2014 22:05:00 MDT.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Re: Re: Western Box #2 on 03/24/2014 13:08:19 MDT Print View

WB2 on its way to Lanian in Paso Robles,Ca.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Nice on 03/24/2014 15:48:10 MDT Print View

Awwww Lanian, and I just scored your gatorade chews for the box with my Bearikade! :-)

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Good news on 03/24/2014 21:26:39 MDT Print View

Good news here,
I was contacted today by Frank H. (Porker110) and he told me that the original box has actually made it to him today! So it took USPS a month to deliver a package in the same state.

On a side note: i completely agree that some of the items in the box were underwhelming and the cost of shipping it is not worth the items you may take out of it (since you are not going to take all the items).

I would like to make a few suggestions:

1) replace the items only with those of equal or higher value.
2) no used clothing/backpacks unless they are (a) Ultralight, (b) in good shape, (c) have actual relation to hiking/camping
3) remove items you consider unworthy of forwarding, take a picture and post what item was removed.
4)$20 buck test - are the item or items worth at least $20 (even on craigslist)? If yes - put them in, if not - do not put them in. Otherwise people will be finding items of no value and spending $30 to forward them.
5) Just keep the box small so all contents fits in Flatrate box?

At this time, i think people have paid more in forwarding costs than they would had they bought those items on CraigsList or somewhere else.

Edited by Yazon on 03/24/2014 21:27:59 MDT.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

"Kind of Underwhelming" on 04/09/2014 18:48:14 MDT Print View

This seems to be the common sentiment. I'm not sure I'm interested any more. Should we try to separate the wheat from the chaff as it were, out with the old in with the new (and relatively worthwhile items)? Just thinking if there's a way this can become less than a boon for USPS and a tax on each of us.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: "Kind of Underwhelming" on 04/09/2014 18:57:41 MDT Print View

Maybe the holder of the box could post a photo of the contents and let the forum members decide if there is enough interest in continuing.

Dave Triano
(Dtriano) - MLife

Locale: Desolation Wilderness
I got the western box from Jim..... on 04/09/2014 20:02:13 MDT Print View

Got the Western Box (not sure which one.....) from Jim today. Someone put in a few bags of powdered milk, one of which broke and dusted everything inside, but I cleaned it up and tossed the rest of the milk (Ha, I'm a vegan and that stuff is BAD for you!!!) I grabbed a small cricket knife on a neck cord, and two fuel bottles. I will load it up with some more goodies this weekend when I get a chance to go through my stuff. I removed my name from the list.... Who wants it next?

-Dave Triano

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

Western Box on 04/14/2014 10:10:26 MDT Print View

I got the Western Box On Friday evening (unfortunately I had to work all weekend and didn't have a chance to send this post). There has been some talk about what do do with the things in the box that are not worth paying the shipping to send them on a constant trek around the west. I wanted to see what everyone wanted to do (PIF individual items, donate to local Boy Scout Troop or something like that.) It is hard for me to know what is valuable to other people. I am not a gram counter, so some things I might think about taking someone else on here wouldn't even think about looking at twice. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. I can tell you that there are some things in the here that I don't think people are going to want (IE. the ziploc of tampons or the bag of dried peas). There is some stuff in here that would be better suited for car camping, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not the original purpose of these boxes. Please send me some feedback about what we are going to do with these boxes. I don't know if it was the times when the box didn't move for weeks (or more) or if people have just lost interest, but I have to tell 'ya I was pretty disappointed after waiting that long.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: Western Box on 04/14/2014 13:07:10 MDT Print View

Alex, do you think you could post a photo of the contents of the box? I'm also curious how big it is and how much it costs to ship it.

alexander Holmes
(ventman) - M

pics on 04/14/2014 15:21:08 MDT Print View

I was hoping for more input before I post pictures ( I don't want to ruin it fore people that want it to be a suprise). If I don't get some more opinions by the end of the day I am just going to send it to the next person on the list tomorrow. The box says it was $20 ($19.20 I think) for it's journey.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

My .02 on 04/14/2014 15:28:57 MDT Print View

When I sent on the original western box I think it was $36 so it has either been widdeled down or maybe this is the newer one and it's a bit smaller. Either way, for me I think a donation to local boys scout troop is a great idea. You probably won't get agreement on any one course of action from everyone here. I would post an invintory list and some pics with ur thoughts on quality and what u think should be pulled. If any has an issue something then throw that piece back in. It kinda sounds like we might be losing the spirt of the box if people are just throwing in crap that they don't want and that's basically worthless. Just my thought.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: pics on 04/14/2014 20:04:29 MDT Print View

Alex, I see you live in Burbank. I'm right down the street in Pasadena. If you want some extra input, I'd be happy to meet up with you, we can determine together what's worth sending on and what's better off donated, and then we can split postage to the next person on the list.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Mid America? on 04/14/2014 20:17:13 MDT Print View

I'm interested in the box . How do I sign up?

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Western Box on 04/15/2014 04:31:21 MDT Print View

I'm glad to see that there is still some interest in this idea and that one (or some) of the boxes is still migrating. That being said, it is unfortunate, although not entirely unexpected, to see the contents degrade in value over time and for the ultimate winner here to be USPS.

And just to answer Nathan -- there was a mid-America box (or Eastern as it was) floating around here somewhere. Just put your name and info on the spreadsheet linked to the thread's first post to get involved.

So, I will throw out a few other thoughts and ideas as I have watched this evolve:

First, for all of those who may have not gotten a chance to receive a box and responded with 'I have plenty of stuff to add' -- why not just start your own box and send it to a random member on the list. Surprises at the door are usually welcome and that is the PIF spirit of this. Keep your own name on the list until you receive a box.

Second, it is true that one man's trash is another's treasure, but if the box is just a bunch of junk then clean it out, add some stuff and move it along. Donate, throw away, whatever -- it doesn't need to be a big debate. If you take nothing from the box I see no reason why you cannot stay on the list for a chance to receive a box that may have more items that are valuable to you (still taking a chance mind you).

And lastly, if this idea has run it's course then so be it -- it was fun to see all of the posts as people sent and received the boxes. It was never intended for everyone to be wasting hard earned (gear!) money to be shipping around a box of junk.

Thanks all!

S W
(seanxxwang) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Received a western box. on 04/29/2014 11:03:06 MDT Print View

Took off 2 well beaten alcohol stoves and a box of water proof matches.

Loaded in some stuff including a brand new one, hopefully someone finds it useful.

Reached out 2 person in the western list, they all seems not interested anymore. Feel sad about the hiker box idea. Overall I agree that the items in the box are very underwhelming.

Anyway, who wants to be the next? Please PM me. Thanks.

Brian blair
(brianblair) - F
Western Box on 05/07/2014 12:03:09 MDT Print View

Howdy!

I have the western box......and a number of good items to add to it. I think the next few recipients will find it more interesting than the last few.

JameyT is next on the list.....are you still interested? Let me know if soo,

BB

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Re: Western Box on 05/08/2014 10:11:02 MDT Print View

Wheres the eastern box?

I have more to add than probably take!

Let me know!!!

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

I missed the PM's on 05/14/2014 21:30:11 MDT Print View

If you can put me back in the mix for the Western box,i would appreciate it. I missed a couple of PM's while I was on vacation. Thanks

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

western box on 05/25/2014 10:12:47 MDT Print View

Hey All,

I've got the western box. I message one of the guys next on the list but haven't heard from him. I'm currently in Oahu getting married (well, in a few hours), but I'll be back June 1st. In the mean time, I thought it would be raiser to just post here and see who wants the box next instead of messaging people one at a time and waiting for a response.

I'd prefer to send it to somebody that's been waiting for a while but has been shipped over due to location or other circumstances. Sound off below as a reply in this thread if you want it next and I'll send it when I get back (no PMs please).

-Andy

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 05/25/2014 10:13:19 MDT.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

I have the other western box on 05/26/2014 19:40:20 MDT Print View

I have the other one and amore ready to ship it off. I'm in Oregon. Let me know if u want it

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

I'm ready on 05/26/2014 20:14:34 MDT Print View

I'm sure there are people ahead of me in line, but if no one speaks up, I'll take it.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: I have the other western box on 05/26/2014 20:44:56 MDT Print View

Does it seem that the aforementioned problems with the boxes have been fixed? I've got a few things to add, but to be honest I'm not too excited about spending $20 to ship a box of junk to the next guy.

If it's worthwhile though, I'll take one of the Western boxes.

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

Western Box on 05/27/2014 11:34:19 MDT Print View

I will take it if anyone wants to ship it to Snohomish, Washington. And E - I am probably about 5 miles from you.

Edited by ghramsdell on 05/27/2014 11:35:53 MDT.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

I am ready for a box on 05/27/2014 21:22:46 MDT Print View

Let me know if someone can send me a box. I think I am close to next.

Thanks,

James R

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Western box on 05/27/2014 23:01:12 MDT Print View

I've lost track of whose next on the list, so first person to PM me ur address gets it.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Mike young on 05/28/2014 00:02:54 MDT Print View

Mike Young will get the box I had.
Thx!

Nicolas Elliott
(N.Elliott)
Me! on 05/28/2014 23:02:33 MDT Print View

I'd like to be added to the list! Paso Robles, Ca

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Awesome! on 06/04/2014 09:21:27 MDT Print View

This is fun stuff! And well worth the money spent on shipping. Did I get my value out of it? Yes and no. I took a book that was originally $14.99 in 1989. Would I pay $20 for it at my local bookstore? Nope. But would I recommend receiving this box? Absolutely! It gave me great pleasure going through and guessing where these items have been and who used them.

There are things in this box with a higher value than the shipping cost, but you are not going to find a $300 tent or sleeping bag. But the true value for me was being a part of this community giveaway. If you think of this as a way to get something expensive for nearly nothing in return, stay away. But if you are interested in adding to the fun and letting someone else have the things you no longer use, jump in!

The excitement of your name coming up on the list next, the anticipation of waiting and hoping the box arrived, coming home from a long day at work to find a treasure chest on your doorstep, spreading it all out and rooting through it hoping for that special gem to be added to your personal hiking box and being able to be part of a project of giving was worth way more than the cost of shipping!

Thank you for all the PM's. This Hiker Box will be sent to James Reilly as I believe he is the next on the list.

Thank you Mark for starting this and thank you to everyone involved! Let's keep this going by adding more value than you take!

I'm going to go enjoy my new book now.

Klack

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Awesome! on 06/04/2014 09:34:00 MDT Print View

edit: Added my name to the list. Thanks Mike!

The box seems to be making the rounds on the West Coast right now... so maybe I can toss a few things into it while its still in the vicinity.

Edited by JacobD on 06/04/2014 12:23:33 MDT.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Adding name to list on 06/04/2014 09:40:24 MDT Print View

Jacob and Nicolas, to add your name go to the first post by Mark, open the spreadsheet and add your name to the bottom of the list.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Yahoooo, the Westcoast box is in Clovis, Thanks Mike on 06/07/2014 15:27:04 MDT Print View

It looks like the next person on the list is Brian B. I will PM him and give him a day to respond. If he doesn't I will move to the next 4 on the list, PM them all and the first to respond will get the box. This is for the Western box, I will keep it in the West. If you are the top five, keep a watch out for PM's. My family and I will be opening the box today with much pomp and circumstance. It is an event for the Whole family.

May the Sun shine and your shoulders and always make you happy.

Peace,

James

Edited by emsjames on 06/11/2014 18:40:30 MDT.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Re: James Reilly on 06/11/2014 18:31:56 MDT Print View

I am looking for a PM from one of these people with the address to ship the box too.

Brian Blair
Jamey Tisdale
Tim Hafner
Ian Rae
Jason Robichaude

Edited by emsjames on 06/11/2014 18:39:57 MDT.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

I think I was hasty. Let me sit back and think, a bunch of hippy hikers, a bunch right wing hikers, all the same. on 06/12/2014 21:30:35 MDT Print View

I forgot the crowd, good times. I will wait till the weekend is over.

Thanks,

James

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Western box, no PM's on 06/17/2014 23:08:23 MDT Print View

I understand now. Next Western person to PM me their address gets the box.

It is all good.

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

I have the other Western Box on 06/18/2014 00:07:30 MDT Print View

I have the other Western Box.

Who wants its?

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Western box wants to travel the world on 06/23/2014 19:33:26 MDT Print View

Anybody to PM me gets the Western box :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box wants to travel the world on 06/23/2014 20:04:15 MDT Print View

Have you gone through the list? I put my name back on for a round two.

PM sent.

Edited by kthompson on 06/23/2014 20:05:16 MDT.

James Reilly
(emsjames) - F

Box ready to travel on 06/24/2014 22:02:28 MDT Print View

Ken T is the winner. Sorry Nathan. As soon as I get it moving I will post.

George Ramsdell
(ghramsdell)

Western Box on 06/28/2014 15:22:15 MDT Print View

The box was fun my son and I enjoyed it. Shipped to Mike Young.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 06/28/2014 21:48:24 MDT Print View

George, Mike just had it.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

I have the second box on 06/30/2014 20:42:43 MDT Print View

I'm ready to send it out. I didn't see a problem taking the second box since it seems as though everyone lost interest. Took a travel toothbrush and added some stuff. Who wants it?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 06/30/2014 20:50:30 MDT Print View

All good then. I'm returning for a second go too. Lots of names still on the list. All lost interest? Shame. I'm waiting for the other one to arrive. Been pulling things together.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Re: Re: Western Box on 06/30/2014 21:12:53 MDT Print View

I would like a box. I'm from michigan though. pm me please

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Eastern Box where are you? on 06/30/2014 21:27:38 MDT Print View

What goes on with the East Coast Box?

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

western box on 07/02/2014 09:31:38 MDT Print View

I've gotten no responses. First person to pm or email me gets the box.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 21:57:23 MDT Print View

Mike, any takers?

I got the other one today. Pretty much a bust. A few good items. A few highly questionable items. Some trash.

I think it might be to the point of posting a photo of the contents and let you all decide how to proceed.

w1

Here is the bulk of the questionable items. And an aluminum scout cook kit, pan, lid and handle only, dented. One of those cable saws, 2500 lb test nylon webbing, 50'

w2

A New Testament, another book. A Disneyland pin, a union pin, 4 year old, hard hand warmers, A much shortened, used Suunto Core wristband, and a heavy stainless steel lid with a wrong threaded wing nut instead of the heat resistant knob it used to have.

w3

A give away bottle opener, free hotel coffee, give away cigar tool, box matches, old music cd, really? a Topo disc from '99, a selection of take out cutlery

w4

2 packs of brush ups, a plastic harmonica, twisted mass of masons line, non JMT approved pencil, a cheap compass, does point north, not liquid filled. cheap folding knife, and a lanyard.

w5

w6

MYOG cosy, two bladder bottles(new), Thermarest NeoAir inflator stuff sack, med. DriDucks pants(tan), yet another cheap folding knife(heavy!), an incredibly heavy for its size and volume storage tube, new Pelican headlamp and a mini UCO candle lantern, generator crank light. I don't think it holds a charge, a couple pieces of pack hardware.

w7

Fleece balaclava, Montbell hat, 80 liter pack cover in pouch, a Columbia Titanium shirt, size med, looks new.

I will also say that the box was way more generous and backpacking focused the first time around. This one is a poor reflection an what has been historically know as a generous group. Almost none of these contents is ultralight, let alone lightweight or even backpacking related.

I would be willing to PIF the remaining things a this seems to have run its course.

Edited by kthompson on 07/17/2014 08:06:50 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 22:39:03 MDT Print View

Yep, that looks like a pretty sad lot on the whole. If you're going to PIF the remaining items, I could definitely use that Columbia shirt on my upcoming JMT hike. It looks a lot more bugproof than what I have. I'll gladly pay shipping.

Edited by mebbott on 07/05/2014 22:39:37 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 23:11:51 MDT Print View

Does that blue folding knife actually have holes near the edge of the blade?

That's just sad.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/05/2014 23:26:15 MDT Print View

--yes--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:03:36 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 09:28:25 MDT Print View

nm not relevant

Edited by kthompson on 07/06/2014 17:44:50 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box/ blue knife ? @ Justin on 07/06/2014 10:17:48 MDT Print View

It sure does Justin. Frost Cutlery, 440 stainless, Made in China. A whopping 4.8oz too.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 11:53:55 MDT Print View

--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:04:43 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 14:29:41 MDT Print View

I've started a new thread in Chaff into which we can tunnel the side conversation.

No offense meant to anybody here, I just have found that most of these tangents that should go into Chaff rarely end up moving there for lack of a good space for it.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 15:16:50 MDT Print View

Edited by justin_baker on 07/06/2014 22:52:48 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 15:30:21 MDT Print View

Items in the box are mostly crap it seems and probably not worth mailing on. I'd vote to PIF them on, with priority given to whoever is on the list, and let the idea rest for a year.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 16:28:12 MDT Print View

--

Edited by mpl_35 on 07/06/2014 18:04:07 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/06/2014 17:32:15 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 07/06/2014 17:46:48 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/07/2014 11:00:28 MDT Print View

Wow. What a box of treasure! And I don't even mind the books. If this idea continues there should be a way to keep folks accountable although that might kill the fun. Maybe each new person updates the spreadsheet with what was in the box when they received it. Then you could tell who put in the most recent item(s) - good or bad.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 07/07/2014 11:01:33 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/07/2014 11:46:27 MDT Print View

I think this was a great idea and it was nice to meet a few other BPLers from my town when the box arrived. No disrepsect but the need to keep a list of who's contributing and who's mooching seems to be in contrast with the spirit of this project. I know when it left our town, there was a titanium pot, micro spikes, a hammock, brand new swiss army knife, etc added to some really nice items that were already in the box.

Sad that this needs to be said but for this to work, there needs to be GIVE and take.

If the box finds a second life and makes its way back to Washington, I have a couple items I can add to it.

Maybe we should start a PIF thread here with a contingency that the recipient will PIF something on the same week? One thought would be to make it a mystery item where the recipient either keeps it, shares a picture of it (hopefully in the wilderness), and sends on another mystery item, or rejects it and PIFs it to the next person. Sort of like a BPL version of Dirty Santa.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/08/2014 16:24:36 MDT Print View

No disrespect taken Ian. Unfortunately, the box Ken posted is already in contrast with the spirit of the project. People are people. There are no doubt other ways to accomplish the same goal of course.

Ryan

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box photos/ input wanted on 07/10/2014 07:30:25 MDT Print View

Any more input? I would like to hear from Mike and see how that box is doing on its second pass through his hands. If no words then I'll go ahead with PIFing the quality items.

How about that Eastern Box? Real quiet on that side. I got a PM about the ECB a couple of weeks or so ago. Was to be on the move.

Jason Dean
(drasticjay) - F

Eastern Hiker Box on 07/14/2014 12:13:23 MDT Print View

Ken, I received the Eastern box on 6/5. I mailed it out to Alan Greene in SC on 6/12 and received UPS confirmation that it was delivered to him on 6/13.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Eastern Hiker Box on 07/14/2014 14:35:19 MDT Print View

So Alan Greene been sitting on it for month. Real nice. Have that problem on this side too.

Mike, have you received the other western box?

PM sent to Alan Greene. Edit: Thanks for the PM Alan. Sorry you've experiencing the same lost quality issues. Thanks for kicking down and getting it back up to par.

My wife's work has a give away table for unloved, unwanted items. I dropped off some of the items not worth shipping again there.

Edited by kthompson on 07/14/2014 19:29:48 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box is on its way on 07/14/2014 17:34:17 MDT Print View

I was told that the Eastern Box is coming my way. When I get it I will check it out, add a few things, maybe take a few things, and send it on its way! Woooo Hooooo!!

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

eastern box on 07/14/2014 19:15:59 MDT Print View

Can i call dibs robert? i have some things to add!

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:16:05 MDT Print View

I posted on 6/30 that I had the box and was ready to send it out. I got no responses from the people I pm'ed on the list so I again posted on 7/02 that the first person with interest would be sent the box but I received no response.

Anyone want it? I can send it out Tuesday.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:20:46 MDT Print View

Did you see my earlier photos and post about the contents Mike? How are you feeling about what is in the one you have? Should it be consoldated into one box again? I'm willing to do that if you like. Just send it my way.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:35:05 MDT Print View

I'd like to stick with the spirit of the traveling hiker box, so I would like to send it off to someone who wants to give and take.

I can appreciate your efforts, and please don't take offense Ken, but I think the boxes should continue to travel instead of being sent to someone who wants to decide what should and shouldn't be contributed. And I'm not saying I disagree with your findings, clearly there are things without value. But lets leave it to the receivers to decide weather they might like an item... *tongue click* or naw.

With that being said, the items in this box have a higher value than the cost of shipping. Any takers?

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Western box photos of contents. on 07/14/2014 20:44:18 MDT Print View

So, I've been thinking about jumping in on this... stayed away from it thinking most of my gear would just never be used by people...

But, have gathered up a small pile of gear I was thinking about passing along... and now I just check this thread to see how its going and see those photos that Ken took.

WOW - SHAMEFUL !!!

I mean, seriously, if that box of CRAP showed up at my house, knowing that the value of the crap inside of it is less than what it would cost me to ship it to the next location... well, lets just stay it wouldn't even make it to the post office. The entire box, from what I see in the photos Ken posted, deserves to go into the trash.

...I thought this was all suppose to be about hikers sharing cool and nice gear with each other...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western box #2 on 07/14/2014 20:56:12 MDT Print View

No offense taken. Would it be OK to ship what I have to you to add to the box you have? I'm all for it to continue on certainly. IT IS A GREAT IDEA. But, the things included could have a bit better focus is my only complaint. Books, clothes should not be included. Books are too heavy. Clothes only will fit, appeal to a small sample of box recipients. Including items that everyone can use and be happy using are the items I would like to see. Which it was when I got the box the first time around.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western Box #2 on 07/14/2014 21:03:25 MDT Print View

Sure Ken, Send me what you deem to be appropriate and I will send that on.

Edited by klackamas on 07/14/2014 21:05:04 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Next on Eastern Box List on 07/14/2014 22:05:27 MDT Print View

I will figure out where it is going after I go through the list! But thanks for asking!! A lot depends on who answers their email!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/15/2014 22:37:03 MDT Print View

Box #2 is heading to Mike. I wound up not keeping anything for myself. Unless you count what I got rid of. I did include a half dozen or so items that I hope others feel are appropriate and welcome additions.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box #2 on 07/22/2014 08:01:58 MDT Print View

Mike have you received the box?

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Western Box on 07/22/2014 10:13:58 MDT Print View

The two western boxes have been consolidated and it has been sent on. Ken added some quality stuff, so I also dug deep and added a few items that I didn't plan on letting go of.

I believe this box is back to the standard it was meant to be. But the box is larger now and more expensive to ship.

In the few weeks I have had it I received no answers to my pm's. So I have sent this box to the only person who showed interest... Kelly Kading in Texas.

Let's keep this going, it's great!

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Western Box on 07/22/2014 23:31:22 MDT Print View

Hi All, I'm interested in the western box. I've got a few items to add, located outside of Sacramento, Ca.
Thanks.

Edited by Rye_Tyler on 07/22/2014 23:32:05 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 07/23/2014 06:45:58 MDT Print View

Anyone still using the spreadsheet linked in the op?

Kelly Kading
(K.Kading) - M

Locale: Dallas
Re: Western Box on 07/25/2014 17:01:54 MDT Print View

Justin,

Send me your address and I'll send it out to you. Just received it today, Mike and Ken did it well.

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Western Box on 07/26/2014 00:34:36 MDT Print View

Thanks Kelly, Pm sent.

Kelly Kading
(K.Kading) - M

Locale: Dallas
Re: Western Box on 07/26/2014 13:16:12 MDT Print View

Sent to Justin. Shipping is 27+ but the quality of the box is pretty nice. I enjoyed it, let's keep this going!

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Weastern Box on 08/02/2014 00:46:48 MDT Print View

Thanks, Kelly, Box received.
Some really quality items inside.
I'm headed out of town for the weekend. I'll send it to whoever else is interested next week.

Edited by Rye_Tyler on 08/02/2014 00:50:00 MDT.

Jonathon Hofer
(hofer150) - F

Western Box on 08/02/2014 01:28:11 MDT Print View

I would take it next!
Send on to South Dakota. This is such a great idea and I'm so excited!

Verso l'alto!
Jonathon Hofer

Greg Cullison
(gcullison) - F - M
Send Western Box please. on 08/02/2014 14:22:25 MDT Print View

I have stuff to add. I live in Northern Cal near Sacramento.

Greg

Edited by gcullison on 08/02/2014 14:48:35 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box is here and I'm send out emails to the next in line. on 08/04/2014 13:36:29 MDT Print View

Good stuff in here, and a few things that have been around through two complete rotations. I will post up a few things that I am taking out of the box, to see if anyone wants them before I donate them.I am also adding a few interesting items for the next person.

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
Re: Western Box #2 on 08/04/2014 15:22:00 MDT Print View

I received an email a while back asking if I was ready for the western box, replied to the email the next day and followed up to see if it was on the way - nada. I'm still on the list.

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Western Box on 08/05/2014 17:08:35 MDT Print View

Shipped the box today. Jonathan was gracious enough to let it go to Greg before he gets it, then on to Brian. Upgraded the box size so I could ship some extra goodies. I really enjoyed taking part in this. There's some great items in there.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

eastern box on 08/05/2014 18:15:46 MDT Print View

hey, i'd like the eastern box if no one responds.

I've posted many a time that I have stuff to donate to the box and would like to receive it.

My track record with PIF's have been very good and I have some quality items to add to the box.

Greg Cullison
(gcullison) - F - M
Standing by the Mailbox... on 08/05/2014 18:16:08 MDT Print View

Justin,
I'll keep it moving, and will post when I receive/send, and I'll PM Jonathon when it's on its way to South Dakota. By the way, we just drove through South Dakota on our way from Ohio to California, and it was beautiful. My kids loved the Badlands and Mt Rushmore. Can't wait to get back up there someday!
Thanks!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 08/11/2014 19:56:55 MDT Print View

Third time's the charm. I'd like to go again. I have more to add.

Greg Cullison
(gcullison) - F - M
Rapid City Bound on 08/18/2014 20:31:38 MDT Print View

I just sent the Western Box on to Jonathon in South Dakota. My son found a great pair of Gore-Tex gloves for skiing or hiking, and I found a cool little Toaks mug to cook with. I addes a few things that may interest some hikers out there. Great idea!!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box Notification on 08/19/2014 18:56:25 MDT Print View

Alan Greene, Alan Greene!! Last try to reach you. I have tried to message through here, but no response.

Blake Bukowsky, Blake Bukowsky, are you there??? Trying to find someone reasonably close on the list.

If either of you are watching this but not getting messages through here, give me a shout back so I can get this box on the way. If you aren't interested, just let me know so I can move on to the next ones in line.

Edited by mtnbob123 on 08/19/2014 18:59:51 MDT.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Re: Eastern Box Notification on 08/19/2014 19:12:07 MDT Print View

I am willing to take the box.

please

Aaron Lutton
(AaronLutton) - F
hiker box on 08/19/2014 19:25:12 MDT Print View

I am in ohio and would love to be a part of this!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box on 08/19/2014 19:31:03 MDT Print View

Sign up on the spreadsheet on the first post of this thread, and it will slowly make its way eventually to you!!! It helps if you put an email address in there too, so it is easy to reach you when it comes around.

Aaron Lutton
(AaronLutton) - F
Eastern box on 08/19/2014 19:45:02 MDT Print View

Thanks for the spreadsheet tip. All signed up!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box on 08/21/2014 21:03:29 MDT Print View

It sure would be easier if there was a better way to contact people on the spreadsheet. Very few people have their email addresses on there. No one seems to respond to forum messaging!!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Eastern/Western Box on 08/21/2014 21:41:07 MDT Print View

I know what you mean. It is asking pretty little from the people that asked to be included in the first place.

It would be great if those who partake would clue everyone in on what kind of things they took from the box. Don't tell what you put in. That is where the surprise comes in.

Edited by kthompson on 08/21/2014 21:42:40 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 09/01/2014 09:17:44 MDT Print View

Where are you?

What have people claimed from you?

Is the travel enriching you, or is it cheapening you?

You looked pretty shot out last time when you got to my place.

Fattened you up and off you went.

Wishing you all the best and safe travels.

Hope to see you yet again.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Eastern Box Call Out!!! Who wants it next!!!!! on 09/01/2014 16:23:02 MDT Print View

Ok who wants this box that is a member here??? It has some decent stuff in it.

Preferences given to those who live closer to me (In S.C.)

I have tried to get in touch with many people on the list with no response. It would really help if people put their email addresses in the excel spreadsheet!!!! Many of the people on here have not even set up their messaging.

Send me a message at: m t n bob 123 at yahoo do t com (take out the spaces)

Put "PIF" in the subject line

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Re: Eastern Box Call Out!!! Who wants it next!!!!! on 09/01/2014 20:29:45 MDT Print View

So, a year and almost a month and this thing still has some life -- really awesome! I would be willing to pay the shipping to get it back to me and keep it moving. It's time for another purge of my gear closet anyway. PM me if you don't get any other takers and we can make arrangements to keep the Eastern box moving back through Ohio. Thanks for contributing.

Mark

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box on 09/07/2014 16:58:53 MDT Print View

Where are you?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Western Box Missing on 09/15/2014 08:25:08 MDT Print View

I've PM'd some folks. Nobody seems to have it. Where is the Western Box? Whoever has it has been sitting on it far too long.

How is it going back east?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box Missing on 09/19/2014 19:43:33 MDT Print View

I too will extend the offer to pay for the postage to me so that it can keep moving if there is further interest.
PM me if you would like me to do this.
Someone has it.

Justin Trick
(Rye_Tyler) - M

Western Box on 09/25/2014 22:42:07 MDT Print View

What's going on with the box? When it left here it had some great items inside.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Western Box Missing on 09/25/2014 22:51:41 MDT Print View

I PM'd Jonathon Hofer a few days back, no reply. He's looks like the last one to have it.
Whomever has it please send it.
Come on guys, THIS IS SHAMEFUL.

Edited by kthompson on 09/25/2014 22:54:00 MDT.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

eastern box on 09/26/2014 05:11:50 MDT Print View

I know what you mean Ken,

I've stated publicly here on this post that I am willing to receive the eastern box, of course pay for its shipping, and have expressed that i have quality items to add.

Still no response.

Even when i've directly responded after a post asking if anyone wants it....

whats up?

I've given up, and just donated the items to the thrift stores when we moved this past month.

whats that saying? SMH? kinda new to these internet short hands but I think i got this one!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Western Box looking for Jonthon Hofer on 09/28/2014 09:44:09 MDT Print View

Edit: Thanks for the reply Jonathon.

Edited by kthompson on 10/01/2014 21:14:06 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

nm on 10/01/2014 21:12:42 MDT Print View

double post

Edited by kthompson on 10/01/2014 21:13:26 MDT.