Forum Index » GEAR » Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
wind can be an issue on 08/07/2013 09:15:12 MDT Print View

I like rain skirts, or sometimes a poncho which is sort of like a short-sleeved rain jacket plus pack cover plus rain skirt all rolled into one unit (that can also serve as a somewhat minimal shelter ...).

I've layered a very light wind skirt with rain chaps a time or two, because a wind skirt can be frustrating to use when there's significant wind. The wind sort of blows the skirt open and up; you can try to connect the bottom of the skirt wrap (depending on which skirt you have) but this can be a PITA and/or make it harder to walk if you snug it up enough against the wind.

So if it's cold and windy, my preference is rain chaps or no lower body rain cover. Still, on long trips when I've had the wind skirt, I still put it on when it's cold + wet + windy. So long as you accept that it's going to flap open some, it does help.

In less windy conditions it's great --- the concept is excellent IMO. Keep the upper parts of the legs warm and you've got most of the value IMO of rain pants, while allowing for ventilation with a piece of gear that's much easier & faster to put on and take off.

I've used the Packa, which hangs pretty long and so has some rain skirt effect (rain mini-skirt built in? :-)). Overall now I prefer the flexibility of a very light rain jacket plus one or all of Zpacks cuben pack cover and rain skirt if I want that level of coverage.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Zpack Kilt on 08/07/2013 09:38:45 MDT Print View

I wear the zpack kilt and like it. It keeps my butt and thighs dry for minimal wieght. I find myself using it more as protection from a wet ground or dusty ground. I carry it in an outer pocket and whenever I stop I throw it on the ground to sit on. I like to take my shoes and socks off and it gives me a nice dry/clean surface.

Forest Walker
(scarred_foot) - F

Locale: canada
tyvek kilt on 08/08/2013 01:13:09 MDT Print View

This summer i had to improvise. I had an oversized piece of tyvek with me, so i cut a strip off that would be big enough to wrap around my waist and reach down to about ankle length. Then i cut square loop holes along the top edge. EnLightened equipment sent me some large elastic band webbing with my quilt, and weaving one of the bands through the top holes allowed me to fasten the tyvek as an improvised kilt. Under my rain jacket it was enough to keep me dry from the thighs up. It was not a perfect solution, but i liked it enough that i will look for a kilt for next season.

/edited because i was obviously half blind last night

Edited by scarred_foot on 08/08/2013 11:37:33 MDT.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/08/2013 06:47:25 MDT Print View

I use my polycryo ground cloth. Wrap around twice and knot it at my waste.

I combine with a short rain cape for my top and add windpants depending on the chill factor.

Regarding: "I don't get it?",
Hypothermia is a good reason to wear a rain kilt. It can really reduce heat loss in gusty rain.

Edited by brooklynkayak on 08/08/2013 08:20:19 MDT.

Nathan Coleman
(RockChucker30) - F - M
Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/08/2013 07:47:45 MDT Print View

I've got the ULA rain kilt and like it when I'm not wearing waterproof footwear.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - F

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: "Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"?" on 08/08/2013 11:23:29 MDT Print View

Brianle said:
>>I've layered a very light wind skirt with rain chaps a time or two, because a wind skirt can be frustrating to use when there's significant wind. The wind sort of blows the skirt open and up

Sounds like Marilyn Monroe!!! ;~)

Again, thanks to all who responded -- there are certainly a LOT of creative solutions being used out there (many are quite ingenious!).