Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 11:20:38 MDT Print View

After getting caught in a wicked rain/hail/thunderstorm last week, I'm thinking of how to protect my lower half in really bad weather. I never really liked rain pants (unless it's very cold, which it often isn't, here). I have heard of "rain kilts"/skirts with zippers to adjust for long strides, but I was wondering if anyone had used one, and what they thought... my concern is mostly about the way water might pour off the bottom of the kilt, into my boots. Pants, though hotter, fall over the boots, keeping the rain out. Any experience/opinions out there?

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"?" on 08/06/2013 12:08:08 MDT Print View

I haven't, but if you're hiking on trail you might try just getting a drawstring garbage bag, slice the bottom so it's open and pull it up around your waist using the built in draw string as a belt to hold it up. If you like it, you could go more upscale and get a cuben one later but this would be a way to try the concept for a low investment.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 12:12:27 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dena, you're definitely right! I'd still like to know if anyone has field-tested one...

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Swamplands.
Rain Wrap by Light Heart Gear on 08/06/2013 12:26:28 MDT Print View

I have not tried them, though I really like the idea.

Here's one I've got my eye on.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=45&zenid=06db4fd0a487eac92f27cf1d8ea305ae

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 12:27:12 MDT Print View

Yep.

Shoes fill up, and drain, and dry.

I like a "rain kilt" because it keeps my butt and thighs dry(er), offers outstanding ventilation, and is easy/fast to get in and out of. I made mine big enough to not restrict my stride. It's just a silnylon straight-sided cylinder with a shock cord waist, long enough to drop below my knees.

(Temps are typically 60°+ pre-storm, dropping to ~50°)

Edited by greg23 on 08/06/2013 12:29:43 MDT.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 12:33:23 MDT Print View

Thanks, Greg and Richard. I appreciate you taking the time to reply... It sounds like everything in life: a trade-off. Good ventilation, easy on/off, but wet shoes... Still thinking about it...maybe I should also consider rain "chaps".

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 12:37:28 MDT Print View

Yes. Its my go-to rain gear for my lower half. I use a zpacks cuben one. Its light. Its quick and easy to put on and off. Your legs don't sweat in it. It keeps you dry down to your knees. I have used it a lot in rain. I really think its hard to beat unless its going to be really cold. My best piece of so-simple-its-perfect equipment.

As to shoes, they are going to get wet anyway. I wouldn't fight that fight.

Edited by alexdrewreed on 08/06/2013 12:39:41 MDT.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 12:47:39 MDT Print View

I have the ULA rain skirt.

It is great for thunderstorm use. As others have said it keeps your core dry and warm. For the rockies it works. I would probably switch to rain pants if I was expecting constant heavy rain like pacNW winters.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Has Anyone Used a Rain "Kilt"? on 08/06/2013 14:42:04 MDT Print View

I need to try the trashbag trial at some point.

shoes are going to get wet regardless.. if it's raining enough to need something extra on your legs then your feet will be wet also.

Richard Reno
(scubahhh)

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
Wet vs. cold? on 08/06/2013 16:46:51 MDT Print View

I'm confused.

Really, I don't understand what's wrong with getting wet as long as it doesn't also entail getting cold. For example, in the White Mountains where I hike I almost never wear any rain gear at all in the summer. Instead I hike in (wet) shorts or kilt and a (wet) t-shirt, and keep my dry stuff dry for when I need it for warmth, i.e., meal breaks and the end of the day.

Once in a while it's cold and wet enough to have to worry about staying dry in order to stay warm, but that's definitely the exception rather the the rule in my experience. In that case I'd wear a rain jacket and pants; but that hardly happens when it's warm enough to rain rather than snow.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking: if it's cold enough to need rain pants I'd wear rain pants; if its too warm for rain pants I'd just go with shorts or a kilt and not worry about getting wet.

Am I some kind of idiot, or do others feel/act the same way?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Wet vs. cold? on 08/06/2013 17:05:07 MDT Print View

"Am I some kind of idiot"

Well, Rick I guess you are.

Me too.

I don't do well in cold, but find that in cold wind-blown rain just keeping my thighs warm (with a kilt) is more than ample. If I am moving my lower legs and feet are just fine.

If the rain isn't that cold a poncho does fine to keep water out of my pack and my upper body dry.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Wet vs. cold? on 08/06/2013 17:09:47 MDT Print View

"Am I some kind of idiot, or do others feel/act the same way?"

I feel the same as you and have expressed that opinion before. I also hike primarily in the Whites.

Where I differ with you is that the threshold for wet+cold for me is definitely above the freezing/snow stage.

I use rain pants if I'm cold and always bring them if the forecast calls for rain, regardless of season. I typically don't bring them if the chance of rain is low

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Re: Wet vs. cold? on 08/06/2013 17:19:03 MDT Print View

Folks - again thanks for your time & advice. I hike mostly (but not only) in Arizona/California, often at altitude, and weather is often "schizophrenic". Last week (when I got caught in the storm) it was in the 80s as I was hiking, then in the 70s...then suddenly it started raining and hailing, and temps went down to the 40s, and stayed there for long enough that we started shivering, even though we were moving. You know, crazy mountain stuff. So my inquiry is me -- hopelessly and foolishly -- trying to find something that might work in all these conditions.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Wet vs. cold? on 08/06/2013 18:22:44 MDT Print View

Woo White's party.. :) It depends on the day i suppose. I usually don't carry rain pants but I have enough hobbies to pick my hiking days on pretty good weather days. Also the trail list i'm working on don't react well to water....

for longer trips a rain kilt could be nice because you can keep your shorts dry, let your lower legs get wet and not have to carry extra pants.

J Shields
(uneaqs)
rain skirt made from frogg toggs pants on 08/06/2013 19:25:07 MDT Print View

I made a rain skirt out of a pair of frogg toggs pants recently and have been pretty happy. got the idea from mike clellands blog here: http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/2012/07/instructional-illustration-rain-skirt.html

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
Rain Kilt on 08/06/2013 20:42:32 MDT Print View

I have the knee length zpacks cuben fiber one. I like it because it keeps my shorts dry which is important when I know that there is no chance for them to dry out until I get to the next town; I hate putting on wet clothes in the morning. But at the same time, it allows plenty of air flow so you don't sweat under it. Doesn't work so well if I'm wearing pants for obvious reasons or when its cold and I want the extra insulation of rain pants.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
trash bag on 08/06/2013 20:53:50 MDT Print View

All the time. I have used rain pants and other things but went to the trash bag rainskirt. I also use it as part of my sleep system if it is raining out and cover from my knees down with it. Total dirt bag and very cheap. Roll up you pants if you need to. But then again if I am wearing one it is below 60F and I am wearing my wool socks and Chacos so I don't worry about my feet getting wet.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Rain and cold on 08/06/2013 23:49:09 MDT Print View

Valerie it sounds more like a layering problem to me. If you were shivering then you might not have had enough layers to rely on. The rain gear layer is only the outer part of your clothing system wheather or not you use a cuben rain skirt, plastic bag or rain pants it's all about what you are wearing from the skin out. And carrying an umbrella (lightweight of course) and using it to protect yourself from being soaked works great if the wind is not too bad. I use one down here cause the temps are usually pretty warm and rainwear is like a sauna, and if its really pouring I'll use the zpacks rain kilt and just let my lower legs and feet get wet, storms don't last that long here and my nylon pants dry out quickly. When I'm in the mountains above 8,000 I always have some sort of long underwear, silk or wool to get into in case it gets below 40 degrees, along with a warmer jacket or coat. I can always change if the weather gets better or after I warm up. I had a friend in the Mogollon Rim area that liked to hike in light smart wool leggings and running shorts. He looked kinda funny (the leggings were purple) but it was a pretty good system for him, if the leggings got wet he was still warm.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Rain and cold on 08/07/2013 00:09:54 MDT Print View

If rain pants are too warm, try wind pants. They will get wet but they will still keep you warm, just not as warm as rain pants. They are somewhat water resistant so when they do wet out your body heat will warm up the moisture without having fresh, cold water flowing through freely.

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Summer Rain in the East vs. West on 08/07/2013 01:09:22 MDT Print View

"Am I some kind of idiot, or do others feel/act the same way?"

I don't think you're an idiot at all, Rick. My experience is that in the Appalachians, in the summertime, it is very rare that I have ever needed true rain protection, especially for my legs. It's generally warm enough that I can simply get wet and dry out later-- either in camp or on the move when it stops raining.

In general, I find that the west coast ranges are more exposed and less humid, so there is a greater chance that even summer rainstorms can be accompanied by colder (and more sustained) winds and colder air temps. Just my experience, and it only applies to the summertime.

Sorry to the OP if we've hijacked your thread a little bit...

As far as rainskirts go, I've never tried one, but it seems like an easy enough thing that you could make out of a trash bag and try out for yourself. IMHO, just give it a whirl and see if you like it. If so, then make a permanent one for yourself... easy as that :)!

Edited by dmusashe on 08/07/2013 01:12:52 MDT.