Forum Index » GEAR » Help with chooosing a 3 season quilt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Help with chooosing a 3 season quilt on 08/10/2013 01:39:33 MDT Print View

Big +1 on Arc Alpinist by Nunatak, and ditto for service/advice by Nunatak.

The Arc Alpinist I bought 10 years (more?) ago is my favorite item, no doubt.

Assistance during ordering process was exceptional. Given cost of the quilt, really appreciated having all questions answered to be sure it was just right.

Ended up with sizing customized between "medium" and "large" (see sizing chart at link below) with differential cut, extra two ounces of down, and add'l half-inch baffle height (total 3") to allow for lofting of the extra down.

Finished weight after all mods was 24 oz; and that's for a quilt estimated for use down to 20 degrees -- before the extra 2 ounces of down that I had included.

Here's the link to the current Arc Alpinist chart:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_alpinist.htm

Final note: When it appeared the quilt I ordered wouldn't be ready in time for a fall trip I'd planned to the Enchantments, Nunatak volunteered to send me a stock Arc Alpinist for that trip. The loaner quilt was great, but had Epic outer rather than quantum (as mine would have) so it was a few ounces heavier. But still, the loaner was an outstanding quilt, and it was provided "free" for that trip!

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Re: Katabatic on 08/11/2013 04:03:04 MDT Print View

I'm a 184cm/72Kg (6'1" 158#), wear U.S. size 11.5 trail runners and have a Katabatic Alsek 6'6" length with normal width. It is a huge understatement if I just say I turn a lot, but I have no problems at all with the footbox of Katabatic's quilts.
I have broad shoulders for my height and have no problems at all with the normal width, also because of the rope/attachment system. You are a bit bigger than me so not sure that helps you there, perhaps somebody else can give you more info regarding width. Other than that I can highly recommend Katabatic. Footbox is fine, and build quality is excellent.
Hope that helps..

Edited by jakuchu on 08/11/2013 05:14:24 MDT.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Two further observations on 08/31/2013 07:59:49 MDT Print View

Endorsements of other posters, really. First is to praise the Western Mountaineering Alder, which I used down to 20 F for many years. Great bag. Second is my strong recommendation, along with a few others, to be sure the width of a quilt is sufficient to wrap you up completely. Very important for keeping a restless side sleeper warm. I added fabric to my Nunatak Arc Ghost (bought on the BPL forum) for that reason.