Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
perseids
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
perseids on 08/05/2013 19:56:47 MDT Print View

Anyone heading out of town in search of dark skies this weekend for the perseids meteor shower? Expected to peak August 12:

http://www.universetoday.com/103826/the-2013-perseid-meteor-shower-an-observers-guide/

I was lucky enough to see them from Yosemite in 97. It was quite a treat.

Will Newton
(Newts) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
re: Perseids - best viewing within 4 hrs of SF? on 08/05/2013 21:48:50 MDT Print View

Thanks for the heads-up, Sharon. Snagged a zipcar for the night of the 12th; anyone want to chime in here with the best (clearest, fewest people) decently close to SF viewing? Say 4 hours away tops.

Edit: Emigrant, I think, mosquitoes be damned.

Edited by Newts on 08/05/2013 22:22:44 MDT.

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: re: Perseids - best viewing within 4 hrs of SF? on 08/06/2013 11:55:15 MDT Print View

http://www.observers.org/observing-sites

You may want to contact a local group. If you have never had the opportunity to view deep sky objects in a dark environment with a quality scope it is a real treat.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: re: Perseids - best viewing within 4 hrs of SF? on 08/07/2013 12:55:13 MDT Print View

I just got back from Emigrant last week and the mosquitoes were fine.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
perseids on 08/07/2013 13:12:37 MDT Print View

Check area forest fires as well as the weather reports--smoke does not add to your viewing clarity!

Will Newton
(Newts) - MLife

Thanks, all on 08/07/2013 13:19:27 MDT Print View

Hoot, thanks for the tip -- I've bookmarked that page for the next chance I get.

Kevin, that's a relief; I gave them about two pints in June. They're cut off.

Mary, Wundergound says clear Monday night. Fingers crossed.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: perseids on 08/07/2013 14:24:28 MDT Print View

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. We'll be in the Alps on the Italian/ Swiss border so there should be good viewing conditions.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: perseids on 08/07/2013 17:42:56 MDT Print View

Last year I was able to enjoy it from my backyard,but looks like there's a chance of rain this weekend. I've heard they're already beginning so I'm going out in the morning for the next couple of days while the skies are clear and early next week too.

Will Newton
(Newts) - MLife

Perseids! on 08/13/2013 16:28:26 MDT Print View

Okay, that was AMAZING, and totally worth the drive from SF. Found a private plateau just south of Chewing Gum lake with a decent view... saw fifteen or so meteors before conking out at 1AM, the best of which left trails across 3/4ths of the entire visible sky. Thanks again for the heads-up, Sharon.

Perseids Plateau

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - MLife

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Very cool! on 08/13/2013 18:45:53 MDT Print View

My wife and I made a quick 2-mile drive from our house up to a ridge line, hiked up for 10 minutes, set up our camp pads, pulled out our quilt and mummy bag, and enjoyed the show. We saw about 8-10 meteors, all from 10:00 pm to 11:45 pm on Sunday night. The best one--which shot halfway across the sky--was in the first five minutes. I will definitely watch the show again next year!

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
iceland on 08/13/2013 19:42:57 MDT Print View

This was my bivy setup for the Perseids saturday night up at Iceland lake

i

I too saw 2 REALLY good ones and probably 20 smaller

Edited by JasonG on 08/13/2013 19:45:04 MDT.