Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New JMT Speed Record

Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Adventure Racing on 08/06/2013 21:30:44 MDT Print View

I used to be big into adventure racing for a few years, even did Primal Quest Utah.

What are we doing now, we're doing FKT runs.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: New JMT Speed Record on 08/06/2013 22:05:44 MDT Print View

Mark Millanos - your saying your inital comment was "obviously not a negative comment" is ........ well, simply a silly veiled attempt at retraction.
you could have said "well done Hal and Mike" but you chose a joke laced with innuendo that denigrated what they did.
you are who you are, I'll move on.

Hal and Mike are great guys who deserve hearty congratulations for their accomplishment.

Edited by asandh on 08/06/2013 22:13:14 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: New JMT Speed Record on 08/06/2013 22:29:54 MDT Print View

"you chose a joke laced with innuendo that denigrated what they did."

Hum, I believe my exact quote was "+1". Man I'm good - to have gotten all that in in just 2 characters! Seriously, it really wasn't there. It obviously wasn't there in the post I was referring to either. I don't think you understand what the expression "laced with innuendo" means, but the post in question certainly didn't contain any innuendo. You are just imagining things, but we are not asking for an apology from you for being nasty to us, so relax.

Edited by millonas on 08/06/2013 22:36:17 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
somewhere... on 08/06/2013 22:30:32 MDT Print View

Somewhere someone is doing something amazing, and not telling anyone.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: somewhere... on 08/06/2013 22:33:43 MDT Print View

"Somewhere someone is doing something amazing, and not telling anyone."

That's kinda what I always think first. Set the record, that we are aware of.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: somewhere... on 08/06/2013 22:56:11 MDT Print View

"Somewhere someone is doing something amazing, and not telling anyone."

+1. Some day I'd like to live just one day entirely without aspiration of any sort but still have it be full of amazing activity. Some days I feel like I get a good start, but I usually have it ruined by some plan or personal concern by 9 am. My life is already full of aspiration and accomplishing of goals. One of the reasons I like backpacking is because I find after 2 or 3 hours I sometime get into a state where my planning brain turns off for a while. I think you could get there "smelling the roses" or running for 3 days straight. I think it could easily happen doing nothing particularly special, and I also think that it absolutely would not matter what I was actually doing. I guess it is a bit of a catch 22 since if you really had such a day you would not actually notice it almost by definition.

Wow, the was way too mushy! Now I'm gonna have to turn in my man card.

Edited by millonas on 08/06/2013 23:06:59 MDT.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
New JMT speed record on 08/07/2013 01:06:58 MDT Print View

Wow, simply awesome. That's like a back to back double Western States Trail Endurance run. And they DID I am sure "smell the roses" in their own style. These two men are wonderful examples of what the human body and mind can do and should be recognized for having the courage to go attempt such a thing. Celebrate it!

Edited by Drusilla on 08/07/2013 01:08:48 MDT.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: reasons on 08/07/2013 03:53:20 MDT Print View

"The only person that speed hikes for the right reasons, is the one that does it, but doesnt tell anyone."

What are the right reasons? Is there a list of them somewhere that I can reference?

Thanks in advance

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
My take on 08/07/2013 04:41:42 MDT Print View

The driver going slower than you (and blocking your progress) is an moron. The one that goes faster (and passes you) is an idiot.

I'm cool with record-breaking attempts as long as non-participants aren't negatively effected.

I got yelled at by a ranger on my first Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim (nothing fast, 19 hours) for, basically, not enjoying the scenery. My (unspoken) response was that doing 21,000 vertical feet in a day inside a stairwell would be a lot LESS scenic.

As to why anyone would support someone else's efforts? I enjoy helping others. I'm happy to see others push themselves. I'm pretty good at being a sherpa, camp chef, etc. The last one was housing Hig and Erin on their 800-mile trek with toddlers and arranging for air drops on the far side of Cook Inlet.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 08/07/2013 23:38:05 MDT.

Hobbes 1
(Hobbes)
JMT FKT record on 08/07/2013 08:45:48 MDT Print View

"Offer a Mercedes Benz as a prize, and some Kenyan or Ethiopian will do it in under 2 days."

Tom, oh wise one, you are absolutely spot on target. From a general marketing perspective, there is a constant search for something new & interesting that will capture the public's attention. Red Bull has really taken advantage of this trend, and sponsors all kinds of extreme athletes - big wave surfing is just one example.

If FKT exploits in beautiful mountain, desert, forest, ocean, etc settings happen to excite interest in the general public, then make way for internationally recognized elite athletes. The photo & video opportunities are obvious - add a 30 second clip seen by millions, and that represents huge exposure for whatever brand is being touted.

It may not be backpacking - ultralight or otherwise - but it appears that UL is the birthing space. If it takes off and generates more participants, then I would expect to see a dedicated site. Perhaps I can qualify for fastest known time to get into a wetsuit when the surf is firing? Nah, thousands are probably faster. LOL

That story about Anis is quite inspiring. How many people have hidden talents that aren't fully realized?

Edited by Hobbes on 08/07/2013 08:48:24 MDT.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
HIgh Five on 08/07/2013 20:34:03 MDT Print View

High five for the dude that does back to back JMT hikes with the fastest known time and slowest known time and doesn't tell a soul. :)

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Secret on 08/08/2013 03:45:03 MDT Print View

What's this obsession people have about "not telling anyone" all about?

Why does that make something better. I for one am glad that people share their experiences with others. Should we not have books or recorded history? Seems to me that sharing our experiences with others is more beneficial to society than not.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Secret on 08/08/2013 06:39:57 MDT Print View

believe me, if I happened to set a FKT (not likely in this lifetime), it wouldn't be a secret :)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Secret on 08/08/2013 06:46:52 MDT Print View

It's called personal satisfaction. Modesty too plays a part.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
sharing experinces on 08/08/2013 08:14:53 MDT Print View

THat's it..I am no longer going to share photos, trip reports or outdoor advice. That includes my family and my friends.

Seems more "pure" to keep it to myself. :D

Going to get rid of any outdoor books for similar reasons, too.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: sharing experinces on 08/08/2013 08:16:22 MDT Print View

better include your website : )

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: sharing experinces on 08/08/2013 09:23:47 MDT Print View

"I am no longer going to share photos, trip reports..."

well, that might keep your favorite trails from becoming over-crowded. :)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
ha! on 08/08/2013 09:37:22 MDT Print View

Well played Nick. Well played. :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
New AT unsupported record on 08/08/2013 09:44:56 MDT Print View

Matt Kirk, who used to post infrequently here at BPL , just established a new unsupported AT finish time of 58 days 9hrs 40mins.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
JMT record on 08/08/2013 16:58:26 MDT Print View

I just shattered the JMT record last night, but I'm not telling a soul (I did a bunch other super cool things, but again I can't tell anyone)