J Her
(sailfast3r) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
reminder of simple yet effective MUG on 08/05/2013 13:57:51 MDT Print View

From my recent weekend outing...

Safety pin -
holdup a bug net (attach thru the seam)
Hang a mesh bag from your ridge line.
attach a bandanna to your hat for sun protection.

Peanut butter jar (empty plastic Jiff container) - carried in first dinner meal in the jar, put in boiling water, screwed back on cap and let it re-hydrate/cook. used the jar all weekend for re-hydrating, cooking, dipping stream water to boil, hot drinks, and packed out trash afterwards. very useful, might be my new favorite cheap cup/mug. and the lid is watertight.

Binder clip - (small spring steel for holding papers together)
Cinched door closed on tarp during a rainy spell
Held sleep/sit pad in place on tyvek groundsheet

Prusik knot - always useful to know the right knot for the situation (tarp on ridge line)

Fleece stuff sack - when stuffed with clothing makes an awesome pillow. - I like this so much I might actually make a 1/2 fleece - 1/2 nylon stuff sack for this very reason and cut down on some weight.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: reminder of simple yet effective MUG on 08/05/2013 15:37:09 MDT Print View

Doesn't everything taste of peanut butter?

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Good. on 08/06/2013 00:50:12 MDT Print View

If you caught my "smell exorcism" post in the 'repurposed containers' thread, the same techniques work on PB jars.

I like the OP's tips. Make a Reflectix cozy for your PB jar yet? Regards fleece stuff sack - filled with what, exactly? Have you tried the "fill with half inflated ziplock bags" trick?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
cooking in plastic jar? on 08/13/2013 01:32:43 MDT Print View

Wha? How does that work without melting the plastic 'pot'?

The half filled with air ziplock bags would work out heavier than my blow up travel pillow that allows me to blow it up as hard or soft I want it. It cost me $2 at the cheap shop weighs 49grams (1.75ounces) and for the veratility and comfort it's a winner over the ziplock bags

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
reminder of simple yet effective MUG on 08/13/2013 07:45:56 MDT Print View

I always carry a few safety pins for many repairs, attachments and even bent one into a fish hook once to catch dinner.
Once held up the seat of my pants with several when a seam ripped open in a fall.

I've been using the same peanut butter jar for years. Use it as my dinner bowl, re-hydrating food, storing leftovers to be eaten later, drink mug, ...
It's light and the lid comes in handy.

I once tied a piece of line around mine and lowered it over a ledge to fetch water from the stream below.

I never had much of an issue with lingering tastes when washed thoroughly.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
pillow on 08/14/2013 01:18:05 MDT Print View

I really like stuff sack pillows. I am having a one made from Zpacks, its sized to fit my quilt. Its nice because I can put extra clothing, food packs, rain rear etc in the stuff sack and it make it comfy. Its also multiuse because it holds my quilt when not in use. By the way I have tried air pillows in the past, just have not liked them.