Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest

Display Avatars Sort By:
Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest on 08/04/2013 16:46:35 MDT Print View

I have a new z-rest and just in handling it in my house getting ready for a trip I have noticed that the silver stuff rubs off and leaves gray on my hands. I use a quilt and sleep directly on the pad so obviously I won't be sleeping on the silver side. So I guess the silver will rub off all over the tent floor instead. Has anyone else noticed this annoying trait? Is there a fix for it? Maybe can it be washed off or removed somehow? I'm bummed out by this.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest on 08/04/2013 17:03:51 MDT Print View

You may want to contact Cascade Designs for warranty support. I don't think anyone else has reported issues with the SOL coatings but durability was one of the questions when the coating was announced.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest on 08/04/2013 17:06:11 MDT Print View

Piper,
Apparently you are one of the first to actually go hiking with this pad, versus just debate it virtues.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Re: Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest on 08/04/2013 17:12:11 MDT Print View

That may be. I thought there had been a few posts about the newer pads field performance, but I can't refer you to one. I'm quite happy with my 2008 RidgeRest and can't see the need to upgrade for the improved R value. Apparently those with the old purple/black pads from the '80s or '90's feel the same. I do appreciate that the price stayed the same although I wouldn't be very happy with a bunch of silver dust all over everything either.

Edited by mtblack on 08/04/2013 17:12:47 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
siver stuff on 08/04/2013 18:25:27 MDT Print View

If I rub , I get some silver off my ridgerest solite. Its never bothered me.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: silver stuff on 08/04/2013 18:36:04 MDT Print View

"Its never bothered me."

That's nice. Might bother some others. Should not happen irregardless.

I was going to buy a new Ridgerest. Now I'll look for an older one.

Edited by kthompson on 08/04/2013 18:42:32 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: silver stuff on 08/04/2013 18:54:02 MDT Print View

But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
silver on 08/04/2013 19:09:30 MDT Print View

How much older? mines about 2 yrs. Its always done it.

I had the impression it was probably ....normal.

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/04/2013 19:15:34 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: silver on 08/04/2013 19:16:06 MDT Print View

Pre Sol Ridgerest. Mine from the 90's were good enough. Just not around anymore.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest on 08/04/2013 20:08:18 MDT Print View

I haven't even hiked with it yet. My hands turned gray like I'd rubbed aluminum powder on them just handling the thing removing excess panels from it. It's more than annoying. I'm not looking forward to using it, but perhaps I will try to take it out on rest breaks and rub it around on the ground as much as possible before I sleep on it. I'll never buy another one with the silver coating that's for sure.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: silver stuff on 08/04/2013 21:37:11 MDT Print View

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Oh no, another perfectly good thread ruined by physics arguments : )

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: silver stuff on 08/04/2013 21:44:40 MDT Print View

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Temporary issue if it rubs off.

i know, right, Jerry. What's next politics :P

Sarah Kuhn
(SCKuhn) - MLife

Locale: Mountainous Ohio
"Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest" on 08/07/2013 07:53:51 MDT Print View

Piper -
I would take Matthew's advise and contact Cascade Designs, especially if you are able to provide them with pictures of how extensive the coating rubs off.
A little initial dust I could understand and accept, but enough to make your hands look like you rubbed aluminum powder on them wouldn't be acceptable to me either.