Forum Index » GEAR » Sharing space?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: background in climbing/mountaineering v. backpacking on 08/05/2013 14:06:41 MDT Print View

"oh my gosh - a thread is drifting - where are the mod's when you need them...."

Not at all. But maybe if you read that one you get an idea of what direction this one is heading.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 14:24:47 MDT Print View

It is not a big deal to me to share a tent. It is obviously more fun when I know the person better. The biggest problem IME is worrying the other person will be uncomfortable with it, and after that hoping I don't snore, smell, or wake them up with my tossing and turning.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Sharing on 08/05/2013 14:27:47 MDT Print View

@Tom:

"They're designed for two people and are wonderfully comfortable"

Really? Is this from personal experience? Does B. know about this? :)

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: background in climbing/mountaineering v. backpacking on 08/05/2013 14:30:56 MDT Print View

"Not at all. But maybe if you read that one you get an idea of what direction this one is heading..."

duty calls

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Speaking of Sharing Space... on 08/05/2013 14:32:14 MDT Print View

Just another [hot] day at the municipal pool in China:

Edited by ben2world on 08/05/2013 14:39:00 MDT.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Speaking of Sharing Space... on 08/05/2013 14:38:31 MDT Print View

I see more than one couple sharing the same bathing suit.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 16:30:55 MDT Print View

In 2006 I was in Glacier NP. At camp we first went to hang our food as the protocol was. Because my shelter was lightweight, more than one wanted to borrow it to tie their bear line to and throw it over the bar to hang their food. They were not going to ask my permission. I put a stop to it since I didn't want my shelter puntured when it landed on the ground. Some have no gear respect ; ).

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 16:42:32 MDT Print View

I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 16:46:32 MDT Print View

"I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me."

Steven! Steven! Wake up! Wake up Steven!
I know, you were having a nice dream but it's time to get up.

:)

Edited to add the above smiley face.

Edited by Kat_P on 08/05/2013 17:09:26 MDT.

josh jordan
(jjchgo) - F
Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 16:51:54 MDT Print View

"I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me."

legit lol! thanks!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Sharing on 08/05/2013 17:01:26 MDT Print View

"Really? Is this from personal experience? Does B. know about this? :)"

Oh yeah; once upon a time down in Old Mexico. Before I met her, of course. As the locals used to say, "Ah, Tomas, mucha chamaca en la hamaca". ;0)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 17:47:30 MDT Print View

"Steven! Steven! Wake up! Wake up Steven!
I know, you were having a nice dream but it's time to get up."

;0))

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 19:45:25 MDT Print View

i bring two solo tents when i go camping with my lady. i've seen her enough to know what it looks like. she's been around me plenty long enough to know the routine. separate tents allows each of us a nice break, room to scratch bottoms if needs be, and privacy to attend to personal hygiene. 2x tents does in fact weigh more, and i do not care. i walk so much stronger than she does, that the speed hit from carrying both tents (and the wine too) makes the trip nicer for both of us.

if i wander over to her tent, this counts as "going on a date".

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 19:51:15 MDT Print View

"if i wander over to her tent, this counts as "going on a date"."

If she wanders over to your tent, does that count as 'getting lost'? :-)

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: Sharing space? on 08/05/2013 20:13:20 MDT Print View

No... that is one of the three possible answers to 'your place or mine?'. 'Get lost' is an answer as well but doesn't usually result in a flyby of the 'mine'.

Interesting idea, the two tents. Kinda neat, really. Why not.

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Sharing Space on 08/06/2013 08:12:03 MDT Print View

I find this thread totally bizarre. I usually go on weekend trips with other people, and we always share a shelter, if we even set one up at all. I've done a lot of 14er trips this summer, usually driving to the trailhead at night, sleeping, then getting up at 4ish. Usually, our entire group cowboy camps in a compact line on top of a cheap tarp with our sleeping bags touching on the sides to share warmth! We _want_ to share the space.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - M

Locale: Central Coast
Strange bedfellows on 08/06/2013 08:34:24 MDT Print View

Last time I shared a tent the dude sat bolt upright several times in the middle of the night, yelled something unintelligible, and then flopped back down completely asleep. Been sleeping alone in my Hexamid ever since :)

Edited by drewjh on 08/06/2013 08:37:36 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sharing space? on 08/06/2013 09:35:16 MDT Print View

Not in my hammock, but you can sleep underneath-- if the dog will let you :)

Brian Mix
(Aggro) - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
"Sharing space?" on 08/06/2013 23:28:59 MDT Print View

This thread has some entertaining responses.
If I were to hike with a group or partner I would have no problem sharing my gear. My gear because I won't typically rely on anyone else. Me sharing my shelter is not so likely since I use a fly creek and I am 6'2". My feet and head touch the ends and unless you're about 8" wide, it's not happening.