November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Starlyte & The 12-10
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

The Starlyte & The 12-10 on 08/02/2013 21:13:51 MDT Print View

Chad Poindexter did a side by side comparison of the two burners/stoves.

Chad Poindexter

Watch his video:

The Starlyte & The 12-10

Edited by zelph on 08/02/2013 21:14:33 MDT.

(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Great on 08/02/2013 23:17:09 MDT Print View

Now I need to pack both... One to make coffee and one to make pizza

Chad "Stick" Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: The Starlyte & The 12-10 on 08/03/2013 11:14:51 MDT Print View

Dan, thanks for sharing!

I wanted to add that a few of my readers have stated that an un-moded Starlyte would be better to use with cook pots this size, so I decided to remove the choke ring from the stove and give it a go. I have updated the original post (linked above in Dan's post) with the results, and have included another video. The quick verdict: I now get a 6 minute & 50 second boil time and an 11 minute & 10 second burn out time... almost exactly the same as with the 12-10 stove...

Check out the video here:

Starlyte Sans Choke Ring

Also, for those interested in what a Starlyte looks like taken apart...
Inside the Starlyte

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - F

Starlyte on 08/03/2013 14:35:30 MDT Print View

Excellent stuff. For some silly reason I'd never tried a Starlyte in my 1.3L Evernew pot + Sidewinder cone. I ditched the stakes and tossed in a regular Starlyte and got similar performance as Sticks - which is basically the same results as the 12-10 but you get the advantages of:
- ditching the clumsy stakes (save 0.6oz)
- store fuel in stove
- no spill
- uses less space in pot to store

I finally freed myself from the stakes and 12-10 today and put them into my "no longer used" gear box.