Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Post editing on 08/05/2013 13:12:01 MDT Print View

I had no problems with the post until it became clear that there was significant post editing happening among this guy's posts. Most of the time people mention why they edit posts, or edits are for spelling or small errors. Looking at the heavy post-editing going on here, the guy makes himself look pretty guilty of something. Now that doesn't mean he isn't a nice guy, and maybe he really does need a tent. But life is about priorities - is this PIF important to the community? Only you can decide. Had he simply left all his posts unedited I would feel quite differently than I do now. As it is, I agree with the above poster about how you ask for something nicely. Sure, plenty of people will comment and be angry and give someone a hard time about asking for stuff for free no matter how you do it. But if you do it nicely, usually lots of people want to help. I will reserve judgement on his choice to sell previous items that were PIF'd to him... he can do what he wants with what is his. But it is also the right of members on this site to point that out and/or be offended by it - and there are consequences for our actions that we must all be held accountable to. Nobody should be trash talking this guy, but there's also nothing wrong with trying to show the community what he might do with this PIF later on. There's also a question of intelligence here, because any smart individual who got to the point where they were willing to sell something that was given to them free on this site would know not to list it for sale again here, and would either sell it to a friend, or at very least on ebay or a different website.... there's a combination of general lack of respect for the community being shown here, as well as a lack of respect for himself. Most people don't go lamenting how broke they are to the world, its kind of embarrassing.

note: edited for spelling

Edited by klags on 08/05/2013 13:13:26 MDT.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
It doesn't matter. on 08/05/2013 13:13:16 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:31:50 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 13:20:09 MDT Print View

How about we all just ...

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Let it be on 08/05/2013 13:24:57 MDT Print View

Good stuff Doug. I dig it!

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Beatles on 08/05/2013 13:32:15 MDT Print View

Leaded bee? That doesn't sound very light.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent on 08/05/2013 14:11:22 MDT Print View

Somebody give him a tent so this thread will die - LOL.
There is a TETRAGON 2 2012 on the Eureka outlet for $64
Also Slumberjack Trail Tent, 2 Person for $66 on amazon.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/05/2013 14:22:36 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:33:10 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
tales of woe. on 08/05/2013 14:33:05 MDT Print View

> I doubt that the "woe is me, I'm the victim here" responses throughout help much, either.

+1

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Let it be.... I think not! on 08/05/2013 14:37:40 MDT Print View

I think this applies here.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Controversy is very human, isn't it? on 08/05/2013 14:39:32 MDT Print View

"So... why don't we all just let this thread die off of the first page to never been seen again?"

Dan Lee,

Quit replying to the posts and it will die quickly.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Let it be.... I think not! on 08/05/2013 14:42:14 MDT Print View

Sorry Dan, but you're as guilty as keeping this thread alive as anyone else. Every post you make to it feeds the fire and brings the thread back up to the top. You want it to end? Stop posting to it, and stop reading it. Especially stop reading it - because if you do, it'll be a dead thread to you whether someone else posts to it or not. It's really not that hard to do.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/05/2013 14:42:34 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:32:36 MDT.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Locale: Bluegrass country
Woe is me.... on 08/05/2013 15:23:27 MDT Print View

Retracted - not in the mood for a BPL slapfight.

Edited by oruacat2 on 08/05/2013 15:59:36 MDT.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Ya well.. on 08/05/2013 15:29:58 MDT Print View

Ken is so proud.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:23:59 MDT.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Fair enough, Dan on 08/05/2013 15:33:40 MDT Print View

You're right, Justin.

Edited by oruacat2 on 08/05/2013 16:00:24 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF on 08/05/2013 15:45:18 MDT Print View

Come on people. Winter is over.

Robsudac *
(robsudac) - F

Locale: Northern California
Is it possible for a PIF thread reach 5, 6 or even 7 pages? on 08/05/2013 16:31:01 MDT Print View

Dan Lee - Why do you continue to engage posters in this ifight? This is coming from someone who defended you and your PIF.

I can see the both viewpoints in this thread. With your need to get the last word/insult in, you are only bringing this heat upon yourself.

If I wanted an unflattering thread of mine to fall off the first page, common sense would lead me stop reading it, stop posting in it, and stop bumping it to the top.

Just my two cents.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Found this in my PM box on 08/05/2013 16:43:53 MDT Print View

"I'd expect to hear this sort of thing from a KY wildcats fan. Douche."

Scammin' Dan fights on!

Honestly, Dan, at first your efforts to scam people and the subsequent defense of those efforts were mildly amusing. Now I just feel sad for you.
You tried to pull a fast one and got caught. While your pride must certainly be wounded, you'll live to scam another day, probably on other outdoors-related forums many of us frequent. I promise to be just as helpful and sympathetic to your endeavours on those boards.

Happy trails!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a joke... but thanks for your judgement. on 08/05/2013 17:21:29 MDT Print View

"My "girl" is 60, got a new titanium knee last August, and kicked my butt getting to the top of Tiger Mountain Summit #3 a couple weeks ago. That's 2100 feet in 2.5 miles and most of it in 1.5. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/west-tiger-3"

Sounds like she's ready for Prime Time. Send her up the Section Line. ;0]

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent" on 08/05/2013 17:22:05 MDT Print View

Ok- for clarification, how exactly is it a scam when he was clear up front he was asking for something for free?

I'm not defending him- after reading all his trash-talk in the past two days, I've decided he's not someone I would give anything to. But I still don't see the scam part.