Forum Index » Gear Swap » Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Ferrara
(implicated) - M

Locale: Coarsegold
This is sad on 08/04/2013 18:29:06 MDT Print View

It really is sad how people have reacted to this post.

And quite the turn off for the community as a whole.

There's no question there are people here with extra/old gear that they likely would never sell, eventually donate or give to someone they know...where's the harm in taking a shot?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
I have your solution! on 08/04/2013 20:11:30 MDT Print View

This was an interesting read...

I'm 23, I'm tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and I buy camping gear instead of cigarettes and netflix subscriptions. I own a tent, a hammock, a sleeping bag, a backpack, and a stove.

"But Max, how'd you do it when the baby boomer generation left you with tens of thousands of dollars in debt?"

Because I work hard!

OP, your question was not out of place and it was wrong for some people to jump down your throat. But honestly... take what the senior members are saying to heart, and go work hard, and settle where you can.

Blue Poly Tarp: $5 at Goodwill or Walmart
Mosquito Netting from REI: $11
Tyvek Ground Sheet: Free from a construction site, or $7 from Amazon

Total: $20? $25? Surely that's not out of reach.

I just picked up a 2P tent for a friend on Gear Swap for $20 and didn't have to ask anyone for a favor. Keep your eyes open.

This article may also enlighten you. This guy went bike touring (essentially, camping) for something like $50. And he had to buy a bike: http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-to-go-cycle-touring-for-the-price-of-a-round-of-drinks-part-1/

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: I have your solution! on 08/04/2013 20:14:09 MDT Print View

Walmart has a 3 person tent on sale for $31. Shipping weight is 5.5lbs.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Hah, Yup! on 08/04/2013 20:18:23 MDT Print View

It's really, really hard to not be able to afford to camp. The homeless have more luxuries. It's much easier to find a solution than to go through the drama of all this posting, thread editing, lecturing, responding, gratitude-giving, soapboxing...

Then again, I do all of that stuff sometimes.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Yikes peoples.... on 08/04/2013 20:37:22 MDT Print View

Wish there was a delete thread button. This is getting old really fast.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Yikes peoples.... on 08/04/2013 20:45:57 MDT Print View

Dan has also contributed to the cause. He PIF'd me an awesome GPS which was put back on Gear Swap earlier today since I couldn't use it.

Like I said Dan, you can have the Hi Tec tent if you want it. I'm 6'3", can fit two pads and share it with my kids with room to spare. There's room under the vestibule for a couple packs and it doesn't weigh much.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
help when you need it on 08/04/2013 21:58:41 MDT Print View

Probably best to look for extraordinary help, when you really need it, among your community of personal friends. This website is great, but it's not that, and isn't meant to be. If you don't have a community of close personal friends who will help you out (and who doesn't know someone who will loan them a tent for a time or two?), then it's time to re-examine your life.

Edited by swimjay on 08/04/2013 22:06:28 MDT.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
RE: help when you need it on 08/04/2013 22:22:56 MDT Print View

Wow, I didn't know that needing a tent and asking if anyone has a spare was such a window into one's soul. Re-examine his life? I don't see how any of us could be in a position to say that, or how Dan opened the door to it.

I have to admit, when I first saw this thread I was a bit taken aback. He's asking for someone to just give him a tent? Pretty ballsy! But then I read down, and the request really does seem more reasonable and possible as you see what he's asking. I dealt with Dan through here before and it worked out well, he seems like a stand-up guy, his request sincere, and his expectations humble.

I don't have a tent to offer you Dan, sorry. But on the bright side, I don't have any commentary on your life for you either. There is some good stuff posted here, cherry pick for inspiration and g'luck.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

re-examination on 08/04/2013 22:50:25 MDT Print View

Well, of course, the re-examination doesn't need to be painful--or maybe it does, none of us here can say--but it could include something as simple as extending ones circle of friends to include people who are interested in camping, and therefore have tents. Which is not a bad thing to do, no matter what one is interested in -- opera, model airplanes, early Icelandic history.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: re-examination on 08/04/2013 23:05:34 MDT Print View

LMAO! This thread is too much!

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent" on 08/04/2013 23:23:32 MDT Print View

Wow, this thread was...something.

I fall into the category of someone who has plenty of extra gear. Unfortunately, not including a 2P tent. This thread was a disappointment- not because someone asked for a PIF- but because people got so insulting- to the OP, to boomers, to republicans.

This thread was a poor representation of what typically is a great forum.

Lee Oz
(LeeOz) - F

Locale: NY
Spot on, JR on 08/05/2013 08:46:52 MDT Print View

It would seem that this evil PIF (as well as unwanted and unjustified opinions) is about to plunge the world of light backpacking into an abysmal darkness.

Dan, I hope you will take advantage of the selfless and caring offers that were made and enjoy your trip with your girlfriend.

Robsudac *
(robsudac) - F

Good luck with your search on 08/05/2013 10:52:13 MDT Print View

Hi Dan. You seem to have been pretty active on the Gear Swap forum, so I sincerely wish you the best with your tent search. It appears that Ian may have something for you. I do not view your PIF request out of line. I do not quite understand the issue people are having with a fellow BPL'er tossing out a feeler to see if an old tent may be available.

For those people going out of their way to attack Dan personally, what is the purpose? I saw similar mistreatment (albeit much more mild) to a US serviceman stationed in Afghanistan last week. I went ahead and sent him a package of goods.

I realize this is an online message board, we are all sitting behind a screen and keyboard, message and intent can be misinterpreted, and things can snowball from there. It just seems like there is an above normal amount of venom and flaming going around these boards lately.

Cheers all and have a good week!

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 11:38:08 MDT Print View

What is it about this request that has struck such a chord in people? And I agree with the previous poster that the serviceman in Afganistan got WAAAAY too much flack (sorry about the pun) from BPL folks, when all he wanted to do was BUY stuff at a fair price! What?!?! Do we really need to define the word "community" for people?
Yes, there are thieves and scammers out there (I once had my backpack robbed of a fleece in New Hampshire while I was out day-hiking) -- but that doesn't mean I should stop backpacking... Most of the people here are just interested in buying/selling gear, and are decent. Ask yourself this: if Dan had wanted the same tent, but said that he was broke and needed to pay $30.00 (i.e., a paltry sum for a tent), would you still have felt as negatively towards him? If I hadn't already given away my old tent (it had a rip, but could've been repaired), I would have offered it -- especially given that Ian B says that Dan previously provided a very expensive PIF (in retrospect, he should have done a WTT for a tent, but that's hindsight for you!). Sorry, Dan, that people are "ripping you a new one"...I may be fairly new here and don't know your whole history, but people seem to be rather harsh under the circumstances.
Edited because I accidentally typed a word twice, and I'm very particular about writing. Edited now because I didn't know that you were supposed to tell people why you were editing it (being kinda new, and all...). Hopefully done with all the editing stuff now...

Edited by Wildtowner on 08/05/2013 16:41:50 MDT.

Ken Daniels
(oruacat2) - F

Locale: Bluegrass country
I don't speak for everyone, obviously... on 08/05/2013 11:45:10 MDT Print View

...but I think there's something unsavory about the specifics of the request. JMO, but it goes against the very basic "beggers can't be choosers" rule.

Seriously, I doubt that a simple "I don't have a lot of money but I want to introduce my GF to camping - anyone have an old tent they could give up/PIF?" would've garnered any controversy at all.

"Wanted PIF" - that wording doesn't help, either - it sounds more like a demand than a humble request for assistance from the backpacking community.

But the way this thread was initiated - I can see it rubbing people the wrong way.

Just my two cents.

ps - I doubt that the "woe is me, I'm the victim here" responses throughout help much, either

Edited by oruacat2 on 08/05/2013 11:47:33 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 11:48:06 MDT Print View

"Most of the people here are just interested in buying/selling gear"

Some folks see this as a problem.

Some people use BPL as a platform for a business and contribute little value to the Great Conversation of backpacking light. They are not breaking any rules, just not adding to the cumulative value of BPL. Some days I see 80% of recent posts are Gear Swap.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 11:49:47 MDT Print View

It's winter and people need to get outside....oh, wait it's summer.

Maybe all members on the forum have synchronized their monthly mood cycles, because we are so close, from sharing shelters and all....wait that can't be either.

I don't know. Can't explain my own posts sometimes.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 11:53:20 MDT Print View

I objected to the Baby Boomer stereotype (whoever posted it).

It is common knowledge that Baby Boomers walked 10 miles round trip to school; in 2 feet of snow; and it was uphill both ways.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Re: Re: Re: A Thunderhead of Judgment on 08/05/2013 12:37:52 MDT Print View

Entertaining to say the least. If only people got all hot, bothered, and down right revolutionary in their words and errr, uhmm, actions, in real life like internet police do. We might finally get around to taking care of one another. On the bright side - yes there's always one - at least a WTB add got more than a couple of quick peaks.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

+1 for Ken on 08/05/2013 12:51:24 MDT Print View

Particularly in light of:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58453&skip_to_post=498628#498628

Which Hoot posted above.

I don't think anyone would have felt anything but supportive if the original post had read:

Looking for a tent that costs almost nothing, which I can use to introduce my girlfriend to backpacking. I'm young and strong, so it doesn't have to be superlight. If it has a few flaws I'll fix what I can and work around what I can't. And of course it doesn't need to look great; mainly it needs to be mostly functional and cheap."

But the sense of entitlement, and manipulation, that leaks through the original post (heavily edited by now) and the subsequent rants makes me, at least, uneasy, and not especially disposed to help. I live in an urban area, so maybe I'm over-sensitized to scammers-- everyone will have his or her own reaction, but, rightly or wrongly, and, especially in the light of Hoot's link, I smelled racket.