Forum Index » Gear Swap » Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Reflecting on intention on 08/02/2013 17:39:50 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the recommendations as well. I don't want to represent myself as a cart-pushing, free loading, waste of space.
I just imagined that some generous fellow had a tent that is being neglected and wants to let it get some solid use by some good hearted folk!
Cheers to humanity!

P.S. For anyone that is curious. I have no intention of reselling the tent that a fellow BPL member is sending my way. It will be PIF'ed in the future or sent back to the original owner.

There has been a lot of interest in something that happened ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO. The fact was that I tried to resell a pack that was given to me (for cost of shipping - $20). I wasn't privy to the methods of this forum back then and made a mistake when I tried to resell it at $40 to make my money back from shipping costs. These are the key components missing about the resale of the Arcteryx pack, which many of you are now calling me a scammer for. It ended up being given to a local scout troop by me and I ended up losing shipping costs on it - so there, karma paid it's price. Rick F. and I communicated extensively about this and he knows that it went to a good place... which is all we both really care about. The rest of this is just wrongful gossip but I'll take the remarks with a smile. :)

Sorry to the people who defended me. I made a fool of myself by responding and adding to the poor attitude that was emerged by my request of an old tent. It is hard to resist responding when something that happened a very long time ago is brought up and the remarks are so foul - especially when the whole story isn't told. I have edited all of my posts in this thread because they were said in a defensive nature which I feel don't reflect my true personality. :D

Namaste (because we have seen the worst in eachother)

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 18:00:55 MDT.

Chris Murdock
(emandchris) - F

Locale: North East Georgia
REALLY? on 08/02/2013 18:22:09 MDT Print View

Tell me your kidding...

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 18:38:53 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:26:45 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Not a joke... but thanks for your judgement. on 08/02/2013 18:51:11 MDT Print View

"Youth is wasted on the young" --- George Bernard Shaw

Get a blue poly tarp and get going!

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 19:05:44 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:27:27 MDT.

Nick Beauregard
(nickbeauregard) - F
tents on 08/02/2013 19:18:40 MDT Print View

For about $150 (or less) you should be able to pick up a Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3. Great tent for the price. I suggest looking at craigslist, ebay, geartrade, and other sites.

You could also be that guy who buys stuff from REI or Backcountry.com and returns it when you're done using it... (don't be that guy)

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Not a joke... but thanks for your judgement. on 08/02/2013 19:19:41 MDT Print View

Why not just use a big tarp?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a joke... but thanks for your judgement. on 08/02/2013 19:27:16 MDT Print View

" My girlfriend is not privy on the lack of floor/net of the tarp setups"

Is why.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent" on 08/02/2013 19:34:34 MDT Print View

Dan: You're absolutely right to be pissed about the cost of your college tuition. I'm in Berkeley,I see it up close all the time. Ruinous situation for the future too, imo. There's a reason Silicon Valley happened where it did: situated between Cal and Stanford when tuition was affordable and smart people with excellent grades but no money could still get an education. Great social return on investment, given all the money that's been generated by Apple etc. But God forbid that we tax the wealthy or corporations to fund education! Very short sighted. Pay it forward, I think not.

Writing as a boomer, may I point out that not all of us are of the "let everyone after me go to hell" persuasion. That would be the Republican boomers. (Hope that you're not Republican!)

Edited by book on 08/02/2013 19:38:55 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Not a joke... but thanks for your judgement. on 08/02/2013 19:47:49 MDT Print View

I'm a boomer I paid for my education myself, pumping gas, shoveling gravel, working construction and much more. And we've put two kids through private school, one through collage and the other half-way.

Shaw's comment meant that "youth," the healthy energetic part of life, was wasted on the young who had no idea what a gift it was. If you saw the results of my last physical, you would get that blue poly tarp and tell Miss What's-Her-Name to get her butt out in the woods with you or find a new boy.

My "girl" is 60, got a new titanium knee last August, and kicked my butt getting to the top of Tiger Mountain Summit #3 a couple weeks ago. That's 2100 feet in 2.5 miles and most of it in 1.5. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/west-tiger-3

Be careful who you choose as a mate :)

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 19:48:50 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:27:58 MDT.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 20:04:26 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:30:15 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
errrr... on 08/02/2013 20:43:58 MDT Print View

i remember when i was in college, working my ass off, paying my own way, scraping by and going without. enough money for cheap beer, top ramen, and that was about it.

begging for a free tent (after selling your other ones) is pretty marginal. somehow "wanted pif" just seems to go against the whole concept.

Edited by DaveT on 08/03/2013 08:02:25 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: errrr... on 08/02/2013 20:54:51 MDT Print View

"enough money for cheap beer, top ramen, and that was about it."

Some of us made due with bottom ramen.

--B.G.--

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 21:06:12 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:30:45 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
due on 08/02/2013 21:06:53 MDT Print View

I imagine you made do, not due.

(Sorry, I had a chance to Gross you, and had to take it.)

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Well on 08/02/2013 22:36:01 MDT Print View

If you wanted charity you probably shouldn't have insulted the portion of the population with your misguided rant against the more rational political group. It's well documented that conservatives give more to charity.

I guess if you can convince your party to tax more "rich" people, maybe you will get lucky and the government will hook you up with welfare to buy you a tent...

Just sayin... ;)

Edited by mpl_35 on 08/02/2013 22:46:53 MDT.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

It doesn't matter. on 08/02/2013 22:53:20 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 08/05/2013 17:31:19 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Well on 08/02/2013 23:29:38 MDT Print View

I'm just pointing out the folly of begging for something from people while insulting the group most likely to help you.

Have at it. Maybe somebody will hook you up.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Wanted PIF - Sub 6lb 2-3 Person Tent on 08/02/2013 23:34:47 MDT Print View

If I had one to give Dan I would. Absolutely. He's given enough entreatment value alone to warrant it. Plus he is a good guy.