Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking robot: would you use one?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Todd ~
(Narrator)

Locale: The front range
I'd prefer a drone on 08/04/2013 17:45:46 MDT Print View

My concern for a robot is that, if it broke, I wouldn't be able to pack it out, and I'd feel bad spoiling a trail for others who have to climb over the remains of my broken robot.

I'd prefer to have a drone deliver my next days' food and water.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: I'd prefer a drone on 08/04/2013 18:13:21 MDT Print View

Imagine this for a drone. In advance of your trip, you specify an exact location lat/long and date/time, and a drone flies overhead and drops a five-pound food package with a small parachute. You would need to pack out the empty packaging and parachute.

The only problem would be if you could not make it to the appointed location, so the food package becomes wilderness litter.

--B.G.--

Todd ~
(Narrator)

Locale: The front range
Drones vs robots on 08/04/2013 18:33:30 MDT Print View

A nice thing about drones is that they can stay on station at the lat/long requested for a long time. They could arrive at one's destination but not drop their payload until the requesting hiker arrived.

I should think a drone could land at many camp sites, especially above the tree line, but even if it had to be dropped, the terminal velocity for packages of loosely packed freeze dried food is so low it wouldn't need a parachute. Attaching something like The Tile App might make the payload easier to find.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Backpacking robot: would you use one? on 08/04/2013 18:39:15 MDT Print View

Does it need a battery? If so, I hate it.

I like being self-sufficient in the wilderness, carrying everything I need on my back.

I recently read that over 70% of American adults are over weight and over 30% obese. So methinks robots will drive up the already high cost of health costs.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: "Backpacking robot: would you use one?" on 08/06/2013 14:48:06 MDT Print View

"No, but I could go for one of those tents like they had in Harry Potter. :)"

Ok, i'm in on this one. And Hermione's expandable bag thing. Apparating might make peak bagging a bit less sporting though ;)