Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (this is how you do it)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Calories on 08/23/2013 18:35:36 MDT Print View

Scott,

No canister.
Here is the map of where you have to have a canister.

http://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

I am going to sleep before the cut at Bubbs Creek.
And then only sleep at Reds or Tuolumne towards the end.
I'll keep all the food scent completely separate to keep the sent off the pack.

I don't really count calories, just bringing 10 pounds of high calorie food.
I'll do about 30% of my calories mixed in water with Hammer Jel Heed.
The Heed helps more with electrolytes and potassium and would rather drink some free calories even though Heed isn't that calorie dense.
If I'm going fast enough it will last to the end. If not I will resupply at Reds and/or Tuolumne.

The two things with food.
After 2 days, you cannot stomach gels, and eating solid foods like trail mix becomes really hard after a few days when you are exhausted. You have to chew each mouth full forever to get it down.

I have also ditched my synthetic jacket for my Montbell Ex Light. and brought my 2.2 ounce homemade wind jacket.
I will never wear the synthetic while hiking and the down jacket is just as warm and the same weigh (with the wind jacket).
The wind jacket can be used in the rain as well, and I'll actually wear it while hiking.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
bear can on 08/24/2013 11:17:17 MDT Print View

For me, hiking thru Yosemite 37 miles in a day to avoid a bear cannister, would negate the reason for going there at all.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: bear can on 08/24/2013 12:13:47 MDT Print View

I plan on hiking a lot more than just 37 miles a day.
To me, this is "fun".

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: bear can on 08/24/2013 14:57:21 MDT Print View

"I plan on hiking a lot more than just 37 miles a day.
To me, this is "fun"."

That is the bottom line for each of us. Enjoy your trip.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
yep on 08/24/2013 15:27:04 MDT Print View

I agree, thats why I said "For me"

I frequently hike long days, even some night hiking, I have harbored ideas of just hiking all night long before too. But I dont miss the scenic parts of a trail to do it, because that is why I go. If Im in a green tunnel, then dont care.

And there are those that start at 10am,stop at 3pm, carry 50lb packs that think Im a nutjob.

Different strokes for different folks.

Assuming sobo, 7700 ft elevation gain the first day might be a beeyatch though needing 37+ miles done.

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/24/2013 15:38:39 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: yep on 08/25/2013 17:33:10 MDT Print View

"I agree, thats why I said "For me"

then why post it? other than to knock his trip and make yourself feel better somehow?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
post on 08/25/2013 18:18:13 MDT Print View

"then why post it? other than to knock his trip and make yourself feel better somehow?"

Why did you post this, to show your a jerk?
Well done.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: post on 08/25/2013 18:21:09 MDT Print View

Why did anyone post anyway, one could ask..
Nothing was asked here; OP was showing us how it's done.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: post on 08/25/2013 18:22:13 MDT Print View

there are dozens of JMT list threads to post about hiking gently through Yosemite.. why post in the one where the guy is running it with certain goals that have nothing to do with you or what you think is fun. I'm pretty sure he's said that he has done the hike multiple times and others in the area so he's seen it.

Aaron did you post when you are leaving? I'm psyched for this trip report.

Edited by JakeDatc on 08/25/2013 20:39:38 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (all packed up) on 08/30/2013 23:39:52 MDT Print View

I have made a few changes due to the large amount of rain recently in the sierra's.
I'll update the list of what's in the pics in a bit.

I am at just over 16 pound pack weight with just a few caffeinated gels and some cheese to add.
Items that are not pictured that are in the list are in the bags.qwe

I am really happy with what I have. It all fit easily in the pack.
I need a narrower smaller pack that still fits as good as the ULA and still transfers weight to the hips.er

I have way too many packs that fit the bill but all my smaller packs have waist straps that go around your stomach, so all the weight is burdened on your shoulders.ty

I've broken my right arm and my left clavicle, so the small pack do not work unless I am SUL.df

It will be nice having a pack that is easy to be able to grab stuff on the go.xc

I'll be starting early Sept 8th.

Edited by awsorensen on 08/30/2013 23:42:52 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: What I'm Taking on my JMT Hike (all packed up) on 08/31/2013 17:15:00 MDT Print View

Arron,

Repackage the oatmeal, instant potatoes, and Mountain House food in zip-locks or freezer bags to save some weight and volume. Plus you can cook the food in a freezer bag.

Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
esbit on 09/01/2013 16:54:31 MDT Print View

i didn't read on all 4 pages...but beware of alcohol stoves and esbit....not allowed this year in parts of the JMT....getting caught could be an expensive venture and there were plenty of rangers out and about in the southern half two weeks ago

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: esbit on 09/01/2013 17:06:46 MDT Print View

Thanks

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Alky/esbit on the JMT on 09/01/2013 20:09:48 MDT Print View

Actually I just finished the JMT two weeks ago and alky and esbit stoves ARE allowed. I asked over and over and over, every single ranger I came across, all along the trail. Not one of them thought the fire restrictions had anything to do with what type of stove you could use. The signs all over Kings Canyon actually said "no fires at any elevation. Stoves ok."

When I brought up the definition of a stove, and whether or not alky/esbit stoves counted, not a single person of importance had any idea what I was talking about.

Bring whatever stove you want.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Re: " Alky/esbit on the JMT" on 09/01/2013 20:34:35 MDT Print View

Jenn, while I have no doubt whatsoever about what the Rangers told you, and I see the same thing here in Colorado and Wyoming about the Rangers not understanding the fire bans (and there is really no excuse for that), alky stoves are specifically banned currently in Yosemite/Seqouia/Kings Canyon. Esbit stoves, which I personally think are the safest, aren't mentioned but the allowed stoves statements doesn't include Esbit. There's probably a low chance of being fined for using an alky/Esbit stove, since the Rangers don't even know the rules, but you can indeed be fined for it.

Yosemite:

Fire restrictions:

No smoking and no building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or cooking fire (including charcoal fires) within Yosemite Wilderness or at the High Sierra Camps. Portable stoves using gas or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed. Alcohol and "Sierra" stoves may not be used in wilderness under these restrictions.

Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Stage 2

EXTREME

No wood or barbecue fires permitted at any elevation. Gas or propane stoves are permitted at all elevations. Alcohol stoves are prohibited.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Thanks Aaron on 09/02/2013 10:34:01 MDT Print View

Aaron,

Just want to thank you for your interest in my sons JMT hike last week. I have been a member of BPL I think since about 2008 and it has enabled me to take my friends and family on some awesome hikes doing decent miles per day on often limited time schedules. I hiked 27 miles with my wife and daughter in order to finish the HST early to pick up one of our group that had an overused IT band. I often hike with family 20 miles a day. This is all due to BPL and the back and forth we find on this Forum.

So, as you know, and I didn't know at the time he left, my son actually had his mind on finishing in 5 days more or less. I think he saw Mark Davis' trip report kind of stayed close to it. He left the top of Whitney at 3:00 pm Monday and hit the Happy Isles sign at 5:00 pm. Saturday. He has a trip report almost done but is driving up to Utah right now to start his fall classes. He said he'll post it soon.

I kind of get a kick out of his effort as he really didn't put too much thought into it. He told me a few days before he left that he was going to do it. He got lucky with weather with only a few drops here and there and had to deal with smoke from the Rim Fire as he entered into Yosemite. I think up until then the smoke had been heading north. He also passed people we had passed the week before as we were on a North Lake South Lake hike. They were JMT hikers and we saw them at the Paiute bridge. He met up with them again 10 days later between Forester and Tyndall.

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Scott

Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
Re: Alky/esbit on the JMT on 09/02/2013 17:05:04 MDT Print View

Careful on giving advice when there is disparity. My reason for bringing this up Jenn was for him to be aware that some areas they absolutely were NOT allowed.

True there are some rangers that aren't aware of all the new rules...some of them are seasonal...but as Aaron posted...they were not allowed in certain parts of the trail and it is a FAT fine and a possible permit pull.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Alky/esbit on the JMT on 09/02/2013 20:59:29 MDT Print View

I guess I myself am just way confused as to where this regulation comes from. Where I picked up my permit in Yosemite? All three rangers there unequivocally said the fire restrictions do not apply to stoves. The rangers we saw along the way? All unequivocally said all stoves were fine. There was no confusion in their answer, they knew what alcohol and esbit stoves were...and they said absolutely they were allowed. The hand-written signs throughout Kings Canyon? " no fires at any elevation. stoves ok."

Where did you find the regulation you posted?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Alky/esbit on the JMT on 09/02/2013 21:19:42 MDT Print View

YNP , at the bottom

SEKI

It doesn't make sense that issuing rangers would not know, or that backcountry rangers would not know, but I am not surprised.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Alky/esbit on the JMT on 09/02/2013 21:23:53 MDT Print View

Jennifer, SEKI made a press release on June 27 which took effect on July 1. In the backcountry, wood fires were specifically banned, and gas stoves were specifically allowed. However, that left some categories in limbo, namely Esbit and alcohol. Due to that confusion, I contacted SEKI and they replied that Esbit and alcohol burners were prohibited as well. It's too bad that they did not make it clear in the press release.

So, a backcountry patrol ranger may not have email access, so he may not have been aware of the clarifications.

--B.G.--