Favorite REPUROPSED Containers...
Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/03/2013 15:35:51 MDT Print View

Sounds like you need a bigger container-container.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/03/2013 17:50:56 MDT Print View

I couldn't help myself. I apologize.

Adam

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/03/2013 18:00:48 MDT Print View

"Sounds like you need a bigger container-container."

It's OK. They are still contained.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/04/2013 10:53:05 MDT Print View

I now have a pint of gelato. Strictly for backpacking purposes. I appreciate that it is a full pint rather than the reduced volume every other company uses and that Safeway has it on sale. I wish there was a half pint size because that is a really nice looking jar but who doesn't need 16 ounces of Nutella for a few days on the trail?

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
repurposed containers on 08/04/2013 16:52:28 MDT Print View

Wow, I feel so much better now every time I open my "repurpose container" drawer and see all the goodies there, having seen yours Sharon....I thought I was getting some strange compulsion to clean, save and stash, but I see it's perfectly normal amongst UL folks. Why just today I snatched a peanut butter jar from the kitchen trash and spent at least 10 minutes scrubbing PB out of it. :-)
Great thread!

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: repurposed containers on 08/04/2013 17:19:40 MDT Print View

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.”
― Catherine Aird

btw, if anyone is having trouble finding those lovely transparent wide-mouth screw-top 16 oz/50g containers, I would be willing to obtain, empty, and send some to you. Consider a PIF.

Duane Bindschadler
(DLBVenice) - M

Locale: Venice
Repurposed containers on 08/04/2013 19:12:03 MDT Print View

My favorites are:
1) Ziploc screwtop 2 cup (40g) and 1.1 cup (35g) containers. Larger one holds my alcohol stove, lighters, and fuel measure (a re-purposed cough medicine measure). Smaller one holds various odds and ends. Both function as cup or bowl for drink/food too.

2) Campsuds bottle (4 oz) for denatured alcohol. Was using small (8 oz) water bottles) but had some bad experiences with leaks.

-DLBVenice

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
pixie stix on 08/04/2013 19:21:20 MDT Print View

since this is only about FAVORITE, I will share .

I took a GIANT Pixie Stix, and cut about a 12" section of the tube.

Basically makes a 0.18 oz , little less than 1/2 " diameter tube, to use to help collect clean water from trickles . A real time saver when all you have is a trickle.

Hard to find giant pixie sticks anymore. I have only found them at ballpark concession stands.

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/04/2013 19:28:02 MDT.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/04/2013 21:29:26 MDT Print View

Gatorade Squeezy bottle; not available most places it seems, they only use it for the "G Endurance Formula". 24 oz capacity, 1.25 oz . Only bottle I have found that has a squeezy top like a water bottle but a wide enough mouth so you can shove snow in.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Gatorade Squeezy on 08/04/2013 23:06:30 MDT Print View

Paul, your Gatorade squeezy sounds like quite the find. Never seen; will watch for it. You say it has a push-pull or twisty cap? Is this it?

http://firstinthirst.typepad.com/darren_rovells_blog_on_al/images/gatorade_endurance_formula_1.JPG

SS updated with the weights and capacities I could glean from the thread. If I'm missing something let me know.

Edited by Bolster on 08/05/2013 09:48:18 MDT.

Shawn Donnelly
(CanonShooter)

Locale: Western Washington
Re: Re: Favorite REPUROPSED Containers... on 08/05/2013 00:19:31 MDT Print View

"Gatorade squeezy bottle" What is that? Are you talking about the bottle with the twist top to allow drinking from it?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
water on 08/05/2013 08:23:23 MDT Print View

we use Ozarka "eco" water bottles.

0.77 oz for 1L. You can get them in 1.5 L as well, which is useful if need more capacity , saves weight.

The 1L ozarka would score 44

the 1L platypus weighs about the same. 0.8 oz

a 2L platypus weighs 1.26 oz and actually holds 2.5 L, its score would be 67

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/05/2013 08:26:47 MDT.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: water on 08/05/2013 09:40:06 MDT Print View

Those are very light bottles. The major reason I stick with Evian is that they are a thin "eco" bottle with a standard cap. I find it very easy to cross thread the lighter caps usually found on eco bottles.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: water on 08/05/2013 09:43:58 MDT Print View

Evian must work with Sawyer?

I've got a couple bottles with Sawyer compatible threads, but they weigh twice as much.

I've got an "Eco" bottle that weighed less, but then threads weren't Sawyer compatible.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Re: water on 08/05/2013 10:03:43 MDT Print View

Sawyer uses the same threads as Platypus? I don't have any Sawyer products but I can check a Platypus cap on an Evian bottle when I get home.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: water on 08/05/2013 10:09:23 MDT Print View

"Sawyer uses the same threads as Platypus?"

The diameter of the cap is the same between Platypus and Sawyer, but the thread pitch on some Platypus is different so it doesn't fit very well, maybe you can get it to work or maybe it leaks dirty water into your clean.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
aqua hydrate on 08/05/2013 13:06:06 MDT Print View

Aqua Hydrate brand water bottles, not as light as the normal pet bottles, but they are very good quality, 17oz weighs 30 gm, 33.8 oz weighs 41 gm, but the caps feature an inner lip for a very good seal. These are hard to find, I only know of one healthfood store that carries them in my area, The Food Mill (oakland).

The bottom is round and flat, like a regular water bottle. They have a variety of sizes, I got them all because they are such good bottles.

the 33.8 oz is as narrow as the 17oz, which means you can carry it in a small pocket, it's tall. They also come with good quality sport top drinking tops too. The 20oz is also very narrow.

Slightly worse than these are the trader joes 'electrolyte enhanced water' bottles, heavier too, 51 gram, but also flat bottomed, the cap is not as good. Wholefoods sells the same thing with their generic brand name on it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with boxes of bottles and repurposed containers.

There's a tiny bottle I found once, it's breath mint candy, it's basically I think a 3ml squirt bottle, like lawson sold, soak for a long time to get rid of the smell. Don't remember the brand, it's ice something, but it's probably cheaper to just buy the new bottles.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
cut-down GLAD bowl on 08/05/2013 19:39:25 MDT Print View

I needed a light plastic bowl to fit inside my 3 cup pot so I cut about 1/4" off the rim of a GLAD 'fridge bowl to make it fit. My plastic measuring cup fits inside the bowl.

Absolutely no Ti cook gear for me except my CC Sidewinder 3-fuel stove.

Jason Guerricabeitia
(BasqueJ88) - M
Favorite containers on 08/05/2013 22:07:40 MDT Print View

Those little dropper breath fresheners, i.e. SweetBreath. The little dropper unscrews and you can fill the tiny little bottle with soap, hand sanitizer etc.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Gatorade Squeezy on 08/05/2013 22:23:13 MDT Print View

Delmar - that's the one. Last time I found them was at a Rite Aid.