Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First trip for the wife

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: first trip with the wife on 07/31/2013 10:30:46 MDT Print View

What a great perspective and so very well said too.

Wife, husband, friend, child; it applies to anyone that takes part in the adventure.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: first trip with the wife on 08/07/2013 15:14:55 MDT Print View

Well, my wife started backpacking with me, so my perspective is a little different than trying to convince her to get into it, but here are some things I can think of that are different for her than if I go without her.

Women specific:

*Women's toiletries! Even if it's not needed at home right now, sometimes all the walking can create a need for them.

*More toilet paper. Remember they need it everytime they make a stop. Not just once a day or every other day that you might need it.

Comfort:

*Baby wipes to take a hobo shower. I know my wife likes to at least get a wipe down in the morning, especially her face. Dual use, if you have happen to need them...

*Let her bring a book if she likes to read.

*Stop and take pictures. Gives her something to look at at home and forget any bad memories and only remember the beautiful scenery and happy times with you.

*Treat it like a Union job; morning break/snack - Lunch break - afternoon break/snack

*Coffee or hot chocolate to go with breakfast. A warm drink in the morning does wonders for their mood.

*Let her have enough weight to make her feel like she wasn't a burden, but you carry all the community stuff like bear can, tent. Let her carry lighter community stuff like the stove, her own cloths, sleeping bag, snack, etc.

*Travel pack of tissue! For whatever reason, no matter how hot and dry, our noses run whenever we are hiking.

*Ear plugs. Helps her sleep if unfamiliar noises wake her up. Even if she isn't afraid of the noises, sometimes just the unfamiliarity will wake you up. It does for us anyway.

*Fully enclosed shelter(tent). Offers privacy, and a false sense of security. They like that. Remember, for the most part they tend to be more emotional than logical.

*Keep the mileage low so you have at least an hour or two before you go to bed to relax and enjoy where you are at.

*Try to do some day hikes in the weeks/weekends prior to get a feel for the mph you are able to do as a couple.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Re: first trip with the wife on 08/07/2013 15:44:04 MDT Print View

"*Fully enclosed shelter(tent). Offers privacy, and a false sense of security. They like that. Remember, for the most part they tend to be more emotional than logical.
"

My logical side says I should ignore that statement.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: first trip with the wife on 08/07/2013 17:04:44 MDT Print View

Recommended reading for her

I took my wife on her first overnight trip in 30 some years for our anniversary a year ago. It was very short, had potable water and pit toilet.

She decided to join the troop outing to the Smokies and do the backpacking portion a couple weeks ago for her second trip. I lightened her load even further (maybe from 12 to 7 lbs) the second day so she could make the uphills easier, but she can scoot along well on level ground. She came to understand why I like doing this so that's a win right there. Had some unique bonding while teaching her how to best leave deposits in the woods. :)

Before the trip she had commented on possibly taking a month to section hike. I honestly thought she was joking. Reality has now set in a bit as she doesn't think she could last a month, so I told her 2 weeks would be fine. :)

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Re: Re: first trip with the wife on 08/09/2013 17:14:11 MDT Print View

"My logical side says I should ignore that statement"

Key words: "for the most part" "tend" "more"
Obviously not all things are true of all people.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say "Feminine minds are more emotional than logical."

I have a brother that has a more feminine mind than my wife, but that does not mean my wife has a more masculine mind than the I do.

But I digress. Try not to get offended, I was just making sure he is considering the mentality that his SO might have and not assuming she sees things the same way he does.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - F

Locale: Grand Canyon State
First trip for the wife on 08/11/2013 14:11:27 MDT Print View

I think folks have done a great job responding! As a woman, let me reiterate several key points:

* a warm enough sleeping bag (nothing ruins a trip faster than shivering all night long!) a blow-up pillow, and a warm hat/jacket for mornings/evenings

* baby-wipe/stream-side hobo baths at the end of the day

* we do a "cocktail hour" before dinner, with some booze and a special food treat. No matter how tough the day may have been, she's going to feel better after a drink and a nibble -- I call it my "attitude adjustment"

* no iodine for the water, if she's at all finicky about tastes (I use a Steripen)

* teach her the backcountry skills that will make life easier

* a post-hike treat (whether a great restaurant meal, or a slightly-fancier-than-usual hotel) helps end the whole experience on a high note.

I'm sure you'll have a great time together in that stunning area of the Sierras!