Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Locale: Eastern slope of CO Rockies
DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove on 06/05/2007 10:32:27 MDT Print View

Originally built the Mark's Pennywood wood stove and was pleased with it's performance. However the more I read about the secondary combustion concept the more I became interested in the BushBuddy design. So I decided to see if I could build one out of available materials and keep it light and simple.
Soup can -wood burner, Beer can - sleeve gasifier, Cat food tin - riser pot stand
I cut off the beer can just below the top rim to allow the soup can to dorp inside but catch and rest on top of the beer can's top edge/lip. Next was drilling lots of holes!

Used a step drill to create the bottom draft intake in the beer can

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Re: DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove [continued] on 06/05/2007 10:47:26 MDT Print View

Soup can bottom: ~100 holes for the grate 16 draft and 16 top secondary holes

Fill burner half way up w/pine needles, bark and twigs

light using a few drops of alcohol, add cat food riser pot stand

Pot does get sooty but not as bad as with cooking over primary combustion fires

Brought my 16oz of 50F water to a boil in ~10minutes

the remaining coals simmered my water for another 10-15minutes!

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Re: Re: DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove [continued] on 06/05/2007 10:52:56 MDT Print View

Hmm, somehow the captions got wacked from above? I guess the pics tell the story. Boiled 16oz of water in ~10min with a hand full of twigs, bark and pine needles. Continued to simmer over the coals for another 10-15minutes. Sorry my scale needs a fresh battery or I'd post the weight ...but it's light! I'll add this ASAP. Back to the lab for now.

Cheers, Steve

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove on 06/05/2007 11:52:43 MDT Print View

Nice work, Steve. How tight is the fit between the soup and Fosters can?

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Re: DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove on 06/05/2007 14:03:50 MDT Print View

Thanks, It's less than a 1/4"? I thought it was more but the beer can is 3.25" and the soup can is 2.8"! Just enough to keep the aluminum from melting and still allow a draft effect. Tonight I'll get some flame shots to confirm the secondary combustion.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Simple and light! on 06/05/2007 20:38:40 MDT Print View

Man, I'm impressed. Gotta make one!

Thanks,
Todd

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove on 06/05/2007 21:07:57 MDT Print View

SO COOL Steve! I'm totally on this one- a DIY project that I can handle for sure!

Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks-
Doug

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
MYOG Gasified Wood Stove on 06/05/2007 21:25:46 MDT Print View

How much does it all weigh in at, Steve? Please get fresh batteries! :-)>

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! on 06/05/2007 22:03:53 MDT Print View

Ok I robbed the battery from the bathroom scale for my postal scale to see what the Fosters BB weighed. Would you believe 2.2oz! Woohoo and with the riser/pot stand its 2.5oz. Can't wait to hit the trail with this guy!

AND I fired it up tonight to see if it's actually gasifying and doing a secondary combustion ...here's the proof. Note the flames streaming out of the top holes. That's gasified wood fumes!
gasified wood fumes combusting for more efficient use of wood fuel

Have fun! Any suggestions welcomed, Steve

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Re. Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! on 06/05/2007 22:06:49 MDT Print View

Wow, all this and the price is right, too!
Jolly good show!

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Re. Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! on 06/05/2007 22:13:25 MDT Print View

AND Fosters doesn't taste too bad. It's surely not my favorite beer but the result is worth it.

=D Steve

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re. Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! on 06/05/2007 22:59:05 MDT Print View

Steve, do you have the brand name & sizes for the different cans? I was smart enough to figure out the Fosters can...

I have to try one of these puppies as well...

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Now I have to make one... on 06/06/2007 07:16:47 MDT Print View

I've been tossing around the idea of making a BB-type stove since Franco posted his. I guess I need to get a hold of another Fosters can so I can get to work on making one of these. Lord knows there's plenty of spare wood in the Ozarks...

Adam

Steve Galchutt
(s2ranch@gmail.com) - F

Re. Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! CAN SIZES on 06/06/2007 07:53:06 MDT Print View

The only can that's really important is the 24oz beer can. It should have straight sides unlike the Heineken can. The steel burner can that fits inside the beer can is a 15oz can. (approx. 2.8" dia) Mine just happens to be a Healthy Choice soup can. But I see lots of 15oz cans in the cupboard that would work! It's important to choose a can that has a rounded bottom and doesn't have a bead or lip on the bottom like the top where they join the top to the side of the can (see pic) Or it won't drop into the beer can. It's this lip that allows to burner to rest on the edge of the beer can.
15oz can used for the burner has a rounded bottom
The riser/pot stand can is an aluminum cat food can. Same size as a standard tuna can but larger than the one used for the cat stove. Sorry I don't have the specific brand. I need to go shopping and pickup some more to build a few of these stoves for friends soon.

The most time consuming part of building this stove is drilling all those darn holes in the burner. It helps to have a drill press. Maybe an alternative would be to cut the can's bottom out and drop in a screen?

Cutting the beer can is a little challenging. I've not come up with perfect cut method yet? If some one has a suggestion please chime in?

Cut along the first ridge down from the top of the lip as shown

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes. Be careful and have fun! Steve

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re. Fosters BB DIY - Weight = 2.2oz!!! CAN SIZES on 06/06/2007 08:24:44 MDT Print View

When I cut the top off of my Fosters can to use it as a pot I used one of the side-cutting can openers. It worked great and left a clean edge. I just stole my from my mom but I would almost bet you could find one at Wal-Mart or your grocery store.

One question; how long to you think the stove will last? I recall Franco saying that he felt comfortable using his for a certain number of burns before he thought it would need replacing. Do you think it would be a good idea to periodically go through and do a rebuild of the stove or does it seem to be holding up fairly well for you? From what I recall from burning trash as a child (I lived on a farm so no one came to get rid of our trash) the steel cans eventually got weak enough after many burnings that I could poke right through it with a piece of rebar.

Adam

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re: Re. Side Cut Can Opener on 06/06/2007 08:49:02 MDT Print View

Good Cook Safecut works well but is pricy. Albertson's and Safeway have them.

Another choice I know of is the Orbi Safe Cut. Haven't used this one.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Very nice... on 06/06/2007 09:43:35 MDT Print View

Good Job Steve... curious, what did you use for punching holes, a whitney punch?

Andrew Wilson
(andreww) - MLife

Locale: Vosges
Primary vs. Secondary combustion ratios on 06/06/2007 12:50:17 MDT Print View

Something to consider. In my experiments with tincanium stoves, I've concluded that it is important to restrict your primary air (fewer/ smaller lower holes)--otherwise you produce more smoke than the oxygen coming through the secondary (higher) air holes can provide. I've examined my Bushbuddy, and concluded that Fritz has done his calculations very precisely, and that's what makes it such a smokeless stove.

The serious stovers (see their discussion ongoing @ http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/) suggest a 5:1 ratio. That is, have five times more air going through your _secondary_ (upper) holes than through your lower holes. I might suggest more like 3/1 for natural draft (fanless) stoves. Following this ratio, more or less, should result in the kind of "candle" flame put out by the Bushbuddy.

BTW, if, sans pot, you see the flames climbing very high, this is proof that there is not enough secondary air--flames climb in search of oxygen, so to speak.

Hapy stoving,

Muskrat the pyro

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
paint? on 06/06/2007 13:29:53 MDT Print View

I'm wondering whether a ceramic engine paint might be of use on the can to increase the lifetime. Some are good to very high temperatures, and I don't think there would be any problem with toxicity, since the fumes wouldn't go into the pot.

Also, I've read a little on this, but I still don't quite "get" how they work... if you could, a little explanation of the airflow would be helpful, using your design as an example.

cool project...

James Schipper
(monospot) - MLife
Wood gas stoves on 06/06/2007 14:04:27 MDT Print View

Jaiden,

Here's a link for the Zen stoves web site, its probably the best stove resource on the net.

http://zenstoves.net/

Go to the "how stoves work" section, then the wood gas stove section for a detailed explaination with illustrations.

Edited by monospot on 06/06/2007 14:05:24 MDT.