Forum Index » GEAR » New ultralightweight sleeping bag from PHD

Display Avatars Sort By:
SPIRIDON Papapetroy
(spotlight) - F
New ultralightweight sleeping bag from PHD on 07/29/2013 00:46:39 MDT Print View

Check here: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=26&products_id=366
I wish it had a short zip

Edited by spotlight on 07/29/2013 01:10:00 MDT.

Andrew Urlacher
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Front Range CO
Re: New ultralightweight sleeping bag from PHD on 07/29/2013 06:47:46 MDT Print View

Interesting. I'm not familiar with the 'Filler Bag' concept. Wouldn't the down probably get crushed crammed inside a normal bag? I guess you could use it paired with a quilt to minimize. But at 8.5 ounces, couldn't you just get a significantly warmer bag for another 5 or 6 ounces instead of yet another piece of kit?

Seems like this product would fill a very small niche in the marketplace. But there definitely are viable applications. Too bad I never go anywhere where a 59 degree bag would be adequate.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: New ultralightweight sleeping bag from PHD on 07/29/2013 07:58:13 MDT Print View

"Wouldn't the down probably get crushed crammed inside a normal bag?"

If the outer bag is big enough then it won't reduce loft of inner bag too much.

If you have two bags, then you have a second inner and outer fabric layer. This can weigh as much as the down without adding significant weight, so weight of total system could be 33% heavier.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: New ultralightweight sleeping bag from PHD on 07/29/2013 09:34:53 MDT Print View

It's just a lightweight liner bag.

Mark Montag
(SanJuans) - M
Puffy Jacket on 07/29/2013 09:58:17 MDT Print View

Can do the same thing with a "multi-purpose" down puffy and depending on conditions, insulated bottoms. Montbell has had a similar bag liner for years.

That thing is being marketed towards "newbees"

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Puffy Jacket on 07/29/2013 11:04:46 MDT Print View

If you need jacket and bottoms for comfort before going to bed then they add no weight, as compared to an inner bag.