Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Osprey Exos 48 vs REI Flash 45 on 03/20/2014 15:17:55 MDT Print View

"At first look, the Osprey Exos 48 resembles the REI Flash 45."

If that is at all accurate the EXOS is probably a nice pack but, I'll stick with my Flash especially since it is cheaper. I have used it for a few trips of varying length and really like it.

Brian Reyman
(breyman) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Disappointed in New Version on 03/23/2014 09:06:01 MDT Print View

When I saw the new version being released, I got excited by some of the features/stats. Unfortunately, the comfort didn't live up to the hype.

After trying on a number of packs at an REI several years ago, the Exos was my choice based on comfort. It fit my body type well and offered a number of features I liked. I used it for quite a while and loved it. I ended up selling it for something smaller, but always missed using it for the bigger volume trips.

So, when I saw this hit REI, I ordered one right away and eagerly awaited its arrival. The features are all great - big hipbelt buckle, flapjack cover when the lid wasn't needed, kept the trekking pole stow and go (which I used ALL the time). I loaded it up with 27 lbs of gear and walked around some steeper trails near my neighborhood. The hip belt and shoulder straps have both changed and both to my disappointment.

The padded portion of the shoulder straps is shorter and feels very awkward. The hip belt now sits in a way where it applies pressure onto my hip bones and makes it one of the most uncomfortable packs I've ever worn. My Gossamer Gear Mariposa and ULA Circuit are both about the same size and are orders of magnitude more comfortable. I returned it immediately.

I will say that this pack (like its predecessor) probably fits lots of people very well. I applaud Osprey for trying to bring a mass market lightweight pack out with continued innovation. But, these tend to either fit great or terribly. Unfortunately, the newest one is the latter for me.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
EXOS 58 lid on 03/23/2014 20:22:10 MDT Print View

Botsaris,

They keep the lid so You can get rid of it and I can keep it and convert it to a fanny pack for day trips away from camp.

Nuf sed.

J Mag
(GoProGator) - F
Re: Osprey Exos 48 vs REI Flash 45 on 03/24/2014 10:03:02 MDT Print View

Agreed. I picked up a Flash 45 from REI for under $70 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. While there isn't a whole lot that can be done to lighten it other than remove the lid (not worth it to me) and bladder sleeve (I probably will), for a framed pack just over 2 lbs and 50L (size large) I would call it a good deal if you find it comfortable [I do :)].

Christian Denniston
(cdenniston) - F
Exos vs Flash on 03/24/2014 17:00:31 MDT Print View

Well I just ordered a Flash 45 to compare with my 2014 Exos before I decide to keep it. Wish I would have caught the big sale on the 45 a few weeks ago when I ordered the Exos but it is still affordable. Lots of good things have been said about the 45 and I am looking forward to comparing them side by side.

I haven't had the Exos out for an extended hike but my initial impressions are positive. It is an improvement over the previous model. I agree with others who have said the hip belt is a little uncomfortable as it feels as if something is digging into my hip. When my girlfriend tried on the pack that was the first thing she noticed. The load lifters work very well. While odd looking I find the mesh padding in the shoulder straps comfortable. Overall the pack has the typical Osprey over complicated appearance with straps and buckles all over. Love the trampoline back panel and it doesn't dig into my lower back like the previous Exos model.

M Blick
(mattblick) - F

Locale: Ohio
Exos vs Flash on 03/25/2014 09:48:42 MDT Print View

Went into my local REI to look at the new Exos 2 weeks ago. They had 2 size Large Exos 58 models in stock. CSA said they didn't have or would likely carry the 48 or 38 Liter models. I asked if they had anything similar in weight/size and the CSA threw me a Flash 45 saying, "give this a look." I'm a huge fan of Osprey so I was initially reluctant. Decided to give it a try and got it loaded up with 30 pounds and did the 10 minute store tour. I was very impressed with the fit and comfort. CSA did mention that the pack doesn't fit everyone as well as it fit me.

Here are the specs Exos vs Flash 45 in my size (Large)

Exos 48 51L 1090g
Exos 38 40L 1010g
Flash 45 50L 990g

So the Flash 45 is only 1L smaller than the Exos 48 but is lighter Exos 38; a lot cheaper than either. Purchased.

Shawn Peterson
(afterdarkphoto)

Locale: Nor Cal
Exos 58 weight without lid listed here on 03/27/2014 10:16:07 MDT Print View

I wrote up a thread about my recent purchase of an exos 58 and the weight of the lid, things that can be stripped off, etc.

see it here as it is relevant to this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=89172