Forum Index » GEAR » Best crampon case?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Vikram K
(gothamist) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Best crampon case? on 07/27/2013 08:56:45 MDT Print View

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have recommendations for a good lightweight crampon case?

I find I tend to end up needing to carry snowshoes & crampons, so I usually lash the snowshoes and iceaxe on the outside of the pack and toss the crampons inside. (If I am using the snowshoes I'll move the crampons to the outside to try and prevent down/Platypus puncturing.)

I currently use a reasonably padded Petzl case (the yellow one at REI, the Fakir I think it's called?) It's about 6 oz and seems to last about three trips before the points on the crampons poke through from somewhere. Can anyone recommend a more durable and/or lighter option?

I tried the orange Black Diamond bag at first but that only made it through about two days in the pack before the crampons poked through (although the points were sharper then.)

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
Re: Best crampon case? on 07/27/2013 09:06:38 MDT Print View

Some good ideas in this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3489/index.html?skip_to_post=25549

Edited by norcalweaver on 07/27/2013 09:07:29 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
i've tried a couple of different cases on 07/27/2013 09:17:42 MDT Print View

and have settled on the grivel plastic spike covers.

Michael Wainfeld
(Adox)

Locale: EastCoast
Case outside the pack on 07/27/2013 13:17:50 MDT Print View

Untitled

BD Crampon case, but not inside the pack. Snowshoes are flat against the back of the pack.

Mark Montag
(SanJuans) - M
Granite Gear Pack Pocket on 07/27/2013 13:24:55 MDT Print View

The lightest one I could find and easily attach outside a pack is the Granite Gear.....

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Pack-Pocket-P50C5.aspx

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Case outside the pack on 07/27/2013 13:26:14 MDT Print View

In a 64 ounce Gatorade bottle that travels in one of my water bottle pockets.

Winter gear

Crampons

Vikram K
(gothamist) - MLife

Thanks guys on 07/27/2013 19:35:56 MDT Print View

Great info...appreciate the link to the earlier thread as well, I hadn't seen that one. I never thought about the plastic bottle option.