Forum Index » GEAR » Gear lost while backpacking.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave Grey
(dapperdave) - F
A Shoe and a Wedding Ring.... on 07/27/2013 04:19:03 MDT Print View

On our first backpacking trip, out of Mineral King, my wife lost a Gore-Tex Vasque trail runner during a creek crossing, we made another couple of miles with one of my insoles inside a sock before setting up camp for the night in Lost Valley, wondering how on earth we were going to get over Sawtooth Pass the next day. Luckily along came a lovely couple who could spare a Teva (4 sizes too big, but we weren't complaining!) they headed up to camp at Columbine Lake where we met them the next morning, then headed over the pass together.

Sawtooth pass

Also at a trailhead campsite she lost her custom-made half-gold, half platinum wedding ring (we were really jetlagged when we made camp, she found it was missing just after we left the next morning - we went back to check, but couldn't find it) We were covered on our home insurance, and she ended up with a platinum wedding band and a Platinum Diamond (Belated) engagement ring.

Dave

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Rings and things on 07/27/2013 09:58:03 MDT Print View

"Seeing as I might be swimming in the Med again next month, maybe I should switch to the back-up ring?"

Last year we were in the Carribean and I decided to go snorkeling. My wife told me to take off my ring -- no, I'm smarter than her. Well, the ring fell off. I saw where it landed. I am very buoyant and even with fins couldn't get down to the ring on the first try. Soon the current pushed me away from the ring location which was only 10 feet below the surface. Took me a couple hours to locate and retrieve it.

I have a gold necklace my wife gave me years ago and I never take it off. When I remember, I put the ring through the necklace.

When I was a mechanic (and married to my first wife) I never wore a ring because it wasn't safe in my profession.

For some reason not wearing it isn't an option with Joyce.

The best one was a few years ago when I lost my ring. Joyce immediately took me to Zales for a replacement. Months later I found the lost ring in my computer. Bag When I got home I showed her both rings...

Joyce: Which ring was blessed by the priest?

Me: This one.

Joyce: Are you sure? How do you know?

Me: I know, because I take these matters very seriously.

Joyce: You are full of crap!

Anyway, that 2nd ring was lost on a backpacking trip.

But I NEVER lose Ti stakes.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Rings and things on 07/27/2013 10:24:48 MDT Print View

Once, when camped along Granite Rapids in the Grand Canyon, I was putting on some sunblock and decided to take my wedding ring off because I hate to have sunblock gunk up my finger around it. My fingers were a little swollen, and I had to pull hard. Then--of course--it popped off, out of my hands, and into the Colorado River.

Seeing where it landed, I thrust my arm into the water, feeling around for where it might have landed. On only the second try, I found it, just a couple of feet from the bank.

When I told my wife, it took her a few days to believe me. She thought it was just some joke.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
lost on 07/27/2013 14:07:47 MDT Print View

2 summers ago I lost my buddy while in Emigrant wilderness... For 2.5 days!

same trip i also left a pair of compression shorts drying on a rock and left a pair of BD trail trekking poles leaning against the car as we drove away...

James Yancey
(jyancey) - F

Locale: Missouri
lost gear on 07/27/2013 21:09:37 MDT Print View

I was packrafting the Current River in Missouri from its headwaters (Montauk Springs.) I had to do a minor bushwhack to reach the river at my put-in on a brushy gravel bar. I unpacked my ULA Conduit to deploy my Alpacka, breakdown paddle and inflatable PFD. When I repacked the pack, I apparently left my SMD Gatewood cape on the river bank in some weeds. It was contained in a MYOG grey silnylon stuff sack, so it was not readily visible. Since the weather was nice, I cowboy camped that night and didn't miss the cape until I returned home and unpacked. My only hope is that some trout fisherman found the cape and put it to good use! Since then I have made day-glow orange stuff sacks for my critical gear, and I make a point of surveying my camp or launching site for any wayward gear before leaving. I also have a new Gatewood now!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Gear lost while backpacking. on 07/28/2013 13:22:12 MDT Print View

Jettisoned my Steripen out of my Ohm side pocket. Which is not the place where I usually keep it. Lazy and payed the price.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Gear lost while backpacking. on 07/28/2013 13:36:46 MDT Print View

"Jettisoned my Steripen out of my Ohm side pocket."

Jettison implies you got rid of cargo to reduce weight. Sounded like a good strategy to me, other than the LNT implications.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Steripen - Aaaarrrrggghhh! on 07/28/2013 13:49:43 MDT Print View

Left my Steripen Adventurer at a watering hole in the nearby Spring Mountains just outside of 'Vegas.

But now I have a new "Opti" version that works even better.

I never take my wedding ring backpacking. Too much chafing when using hiking poles so no worry there.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Steripen - Aaaarrrrggghhh! on 07/28/2013 14:00:47 MDT Print View

"I never take my wedding ring backpacking. Too much chafing when using hiking poles so no worry there."

I almost never take hiking poles, so no worry about chaffing with a ring. Plus the ring is much lighter than hiking poles :)

Brian Mix
(Aggro) - F - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
Gear lost while backpacking on 07/28/2013 21:10:27 MDT Print View

Last week I found a moderately expensive item on the winter route from lost lake (AK)(Do we have a "Lost and Found" thread?) Describe it and it's yours.
Yesterday I found a wallet loaded to the hilt but containing nothing with a phone number so I'll express mail it tomorrow- likely after the owner had the unpleasant task of cancelling all credit cards completed.
Knock on wood, I haven't lost anything in recent memory.

Christopher Kuzak
(KC)
Lost Stuff on 07/28/2013 21:27:17 MDT Print View

Last weekend I lost my new Silva Explorer Pro compass in Disneyland (Desolation) Wilderness. It's either in the forest somewhere between Lost Lake and the PCT or, next most likely, by an unnamed creek along the PCT where I ate lunch. Not horrible, just annoying.

Mark Montag
(SanJuans) - M
Once was lost....then found..... on 07/28/2013 22:40:56 MDT Print View

On one outing just after finishing a sunrise landscape photography shooting session in a very photogenic mountain cirque - I realized I had dropped an expensive photo filter encased in it's leather-like protective pouch. I combed the bushwack trail that I used to access my shooting sites, back & forth several times - NOTHING! Went back to camp to packed up and leave - still disappointed that I had actually lost this filter - needing that tool but not wanting to purchase another.

Then it dawned on me - I had a German Shepard with me. He was just a PuP - 6-7 months or so, but I had been working with him on "search" with his dog-toys & such. Showed him another filter from the same filter brand pouch - he excitedly mouthed it thinking it was a frisbee or something - and we re-walked the bushwack trail.

After 10 minutes or so, I had lost interest & even forgot why/what are we doing - then the PuP darted and stuck his head way down into the thicket, obviously interested in something, all I could see was his butt & tail - and came out with that filter pouch in his mouth and gave it to me!!

Whhooo! Such a good dog! Needless to said he got the "you're a good dog" treatment for a week! OK, well, maybe longer.....

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Rings and things on 07/28/2013 23:17:55 MDT Print View

Nick I think you need to seriously invest in a chain that can not slip off your head, and attach your wedding ring on there Frodo Baggins style before any excursion. Blessed or not, it seems like that ring, and its predecessor, have been actively trying to escape.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Once was lost....then found..... on 07/29/2013 01:19:49 MDT Print View

Smart dog. You don't think the whole thing was a setup? Sounds a little fishy he was able to find the filter case like that... If he is smart enough to find it, he might be smart enough to hide it. How many snacks did he score??

I temporarily lost car keys.
On a short walk, really, so not a big deal..

I had been sitting beside a river taking pictures. I pulled my pack over and heard a 'tink' sound. I wrote it off to a side release or something tapping a rock. There was no 'jangle'.

I got back to the car... I pretty much remembered where I had been sitting and went right back to them. The worry I had was that they had fallen down between large rocks to a point I couldn't reach. Easy reach, though.

Anyway, they keys weren't where I regularly put them. That was the problem.

As far as rings, I wonder if a wrap or two of tape a knuckle up from the ring might prevent it slipping off. Would have to remember to not forget to do that... Putting the ring on a key chain wouldn't be a good plan for me. Keeping it in a filter case might help.

> ...that ring, and its predecessor, have been actively trying to escape

That is how Gollum lost him ring. It wasn't his fault; the ring left him.

Edited by Tan68 on 07/29/2013 01:24:00 MDT.