Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/25/2013 19:55:04 MDT Print View

Well I have been thinking that the "smugness" will probably be mutual between me and my compadre. And that's really the fun of it.

Someone mention Humility! I can assure you that since this is my first extend trip I will be humbled at some point, UL pack and all! Hopefully I don't end up like Duane's pot!

As far as Sarcasm goes- I assume at the beginning of any post there will be "Heavy Sarcasm".

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/26/2013 07:06:00 MDT Print View

I am frequently ridiculed by my heavier weight friends...my hexamid was always called "that tissue paper tent."
When we put the packs in the trunk, mine is tossed about since "there's nothing in there anyway."

Of course, this year, despite being in the absolute worst physical shape of my life, I can finally keep up with my hiking friends :)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
BPH on 07/26/2013 08:20:13 MDT Print View

>> Personally, the question of experience dramatically determines how and who I hike >>with--not weight.

Bingo. I'd much rather hike with a buddy who is carrying 20 lbs BPW and knows what he is doing than the person who read a gear list on one of many forums and is using the kit for the first time (and has minimal experience)

As for BPH, I did the Pawnee-Buchanan loop this past weekend. I was amazed at how big the packs were for a weekend trip.

Then I discussed it further with a friend and started thinking the following:

One person alluded to it above, but if you are going out maybe two trips a year, and already have the heavy gear (As that is what you are supposed to buy, right? :)), it probably does not make sense for the average person to retool and buy lighter gear in terms of finances.

For many people, backpacking is an occasional past time. The heavy pack works for traveling, the occasional climbing trip, and what I call "back country car camping": Hike in with at ton of creature comforts to a lake and call it good for a long weekend. (Can be fun actually! :D)

So why get an additional pack, stove, sleeping bag, pad and so on when going longer with less camping time is just not on the agenda? Esp if it means $$$$$ for only one or two trips a year.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/26/2013 09:07:15 MDT Print View

Back when I used a tarptent virga, my hiking buddies called it a "wind sock"..lol.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/26/2013 12:20:27 MDT Print View

James wrote:

"...tried trail runners, and went back to boots. I did the same after three tries with runners. (They do not work well in the ADK's.) "

Having used low-cut lightweight trail shoes for years in the ADK and White Mountains, I don't understand your problem. I don't often go off trail, and most of my hiking has been in nicer weather, but I still dealt with many rainy days, roots, rocks and muddy trails. My shoes are somewhat old and may be sturdier than the latest uber-light trail runners (I have Merrell Mesa Ventilators, no longer made), but they are by no means heavy.

I do use poles all the time, perhaps that makes the difference?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/26/2013 14:12:37 MDT Print View

Same Elliot.. trail runners in the Whites work great. I think even better than boots since they usually have better traction on rock, especially slabs than boots. Boots destroy my knees since my ankles can't move freely.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: RE: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/26/2013 15:51:47 MDT Print View

Well, a lot of people say that. But after three sets of well broken in runners (a good 6 months to a year) I still could not make them work without all sorts of blisters. Usually the little toe, and all around the base of the ankle. I used to run every day about 5-7mi in the SAME runners with no problems.

I also tried some high sneakers, but the soles weren't stiff enough for good sole protection. Soo, I pretty much gave up and went back to boots.

Almost all of the lower cut runners have the same problem. When I step on an odd surface, they twist into my foot just below the ankles. On fairly flat trails, the few with no rocks, gullys or other obstuctions, the work fine. I believe I have very thin heels. I kknow they are about two thirds the size of my wife's. My wrists are the same way. Often, a mens watch band will be in the last hole. At the podiatrist he says I have a wide toe placement though. Soo, I cut a liner to fit my heel on my boots and let it go. This doesn't work with runners, though. I can easily fit three fingers along the sides. My partner doesn't have that problem, but still wears boots. Off-trail hiking can be a bear without good boots.

Anyway, my boots weigh about 1#3. My Solomons weigh about 14oz for a 5oz difference. I'll take the boots for 5oz simply for the fact that for 90% of their life time (about 8 years now) they are good enough for most any conditions.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Re: I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH on 07/27/2013 11:13:27 MDT Print View

James:

Wow, you've got mutant feet! ;-)

I have problems as well, my feet are flat and wide. If I can't find wide shoes I have to go with a large size, which generally works out ok despite the big space in front of my toes (better than too small, of course).

As Peter Spier (kid's book author) noted in People, it's much better if everyone is different...

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
BPH on 08/10/2013 18:14:53 MDT Print View

Well, sad to say if he is BPH, you will lose.
You have to travel at his pace.

However, if its someone whose company you enjoy, that is the only thing that matters.

I think, we can learn something from everyone, even if their gear choice is not the same as ours. Doesnt mean we want to adopt it, but we can learn from others points of view.

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/10/2013 18:17:42 MDT.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith)
Re: BPH on 08/29/2013 10:55:40 MDT Print View

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you guys are now considering a winter base weight of 25 pounds HEAVY. I understand that it's not UL or SUL, but HEAVY?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Winter base weight on 08/29/2013 11:33:10 MDT Print View

Michael,

A 25lb winter base weight is light for a lot of people.